Faramir

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Arveanor

Arveanor
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:46 PM

Ok so faramir's description calls him the leader of the Ithilien rangers but other than starting with a bow and having a special arrow ability he doesn't seem to be the leader of the Ithilien, especially since his final power is a leadership-type ability for the knights of gondor.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have the knights ability but I think he needs an ability to show him to be the leader of the Ithilien.

Either a leadership ability for them (which I personally think is too overused) or perhaps a special longshot-related power that maybe lets them recharge it instantly or have more range or a bigger target area, Idk. Another idea would be a focus your fire ability and whatever enemy it is used on takes more damage from Ithilien, maybe even some kind of cool increasing power thing where say if one group is attacking the target its plus 10% damage for two its plus 20% and so on.

Sorry if this has been discussed but I couldn't find it anywhere and I love the ithilien and the faramir of the books and the movies and think he needs some way to show that he truly is leader of the ithiilien.

#2 isledebananas

isledebananas
  • Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:58 AM

I don't think he needs some kind of ability that specifically helps Ithilien Rangers. He was more of an all around commander but the kind of work they were doing I guess was more suited to him than commanding the main forces which seemed to be more of Boromir's thing. But your right that he should have some ability that reflects that combat style he used which is more smart and stealthy. In the movies at least he was shown as not being so good at traditional types of warfare such as Boromir, whereas in the books I believe he was more into studies art and literature than warfare though he wasn't incompetent.

I like the idea of area damage increase ability. I have always felt that diversifying heroes with just auras isn't really so good. This is more so in Rohan than in Gondor since they have more heroes who are differentiated by their auras than abilities. I think the main allied unit buff should be for Boromir which is universal for all Gondor units. Maybe Faramir could have some sort of attack speed aura or something that is universal.

I guess the damage increase would be an area of effect spell similar to the xp boost spell. However, it would I supposed debuff the armor of enemy units in an area and they would have some glow on them so you can tell which ones got weakened. The only thing is I'm not sure if that is possible only someone more knowledgeable in BFME 2 coding like Sulherokkh could tell you if its possible. I do know that some others on the forum have done something like negative leadership but a cast AoE debuff ability I haven't heard of.

An ability like that though would I believe make him very useful especially if an enemy hero is caught in it. This would also make a leadership ability pretty unnecessary as it would make him unique enough. Also, from what I saw Faramir didn't really seem to inspire much in his allies or enemies. This is opposed to individuals who clearly did inspire such as Aragorn, Boromir, and Gandalf. I'm not quite sure in the books about any specifics other than he wasn't drawn in by the Ring.

#3 khamulrulz

khamulrulz

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:07 PM

i think faramir's character is fine in the game. he is very versatile, and true to his role in the books and movies, and he looks nice. definitely not a priority to fix. by the way, his leadership power also affects the ithilien rangers, not only the gondor knights. also realize that he is gondor's only ranged hero (other than pippin, if he is moved there in 4.8)

to be honest, he wasn't JUST the captain of ithilien. he was the captain of gondor, and second-in-command of their armed forces behind boromir. he also had a great effect on the soldiers that fought for him, as many like beregond loved him as a leader. his broad leadership to rangers and knights and his train allies power reflects this, although a detect stealth power could be nice as well.

Edited by khamulrulz, 11 December 2009 - 02:12 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Arveanor

Arveanor
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:53 PM

Yes, I'm not saying to make him purely the leader of the ithilien, BUT he did serve more as their leader while boromir was alive and kept charge of Osgiliath. It just seems to me he isn't portrayed in an entirely accurate way. He needs a better reflection of how he fought and led.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I just used him and I thought his powers were as follows:

Toggle Weapons
Special Arrow thing
Mount/Dismount
Special charge ability helping out the gondor knights, similar to Theoden's glorious charge.

I'll be happy to go back and check on that though, as I very well could be wrong.

Also when you recruit him it does specifically call him the leader of the ithilien, which is fairly accurate, and if you want him to not have an Ithilien-related ability, perhaps a broader power to help show him as stealthier etc. would be to give him a stealthing ability.

I honestly don't know the BEST way to make Faramir who I think he should be, but I think there's enough people in these forums to come up with something good.

#5 isledebananas

isledebananas
  • Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:09 AM

I really don't like the unit training ability its just blah in my opinion. Its pretty good to upgrade lvl 1 units to lvl 2 but I just think its a waste of space and non-unique. While your right khamulrulz about him being good with the troops I just don't see him in the same category as Boromir, Aragorn, and Gandalf. From the movies just them talking or being on the field was enough to change people's spirits. He was good at actually doing the job of commanding telling people what to do. He was described as very intelligent. I think some attack buff ability on selected units would reflect maybe his ability see weak spots in enemies. When making hit and run attacks like he did in Ithilien knowing such things would be integral.

His abilities should be :

toggle - only on foot
stealth ability- only on foot
arrow strike
mount
attack buff on select units
maybe an armor bonus with reskin to his Gondor Knight armor minus the helm

The attack buff could be either one of two things:
1. He casts on an area of enemy units and it either decreases their armor or gives a damage multiplier on them for some time.
2. He casts on an area of allied units and it gives them a damage multiplier for a set amount of time.

My main qualm about the training ability is that it becomes obsolete pretty quick. Usually the only units I have at a high level are ones that I keep for defense. To make an army of high lvl units would take so much time it would be ridiculous using the train unit ability. Once units become max level that ability is worthless on them. However, a more combat orientated ability would not go out of use.

#6 khamulrulz

khamulrulz

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:54 AM

yeah he could have lvl 1 toggle bow/sword and mount, lvl 3 wounding arrow lvl 5 detect stealth, lvl 7 huge attack speed/attack damage buff to nearby troops
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Arveanor

Arveanor
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:48 PM

Yeah, I think the damage buff sounds like a pretty good idea, a lot better than his silly little armor bonus that realistically is only useful for the gondor knights which I don't even use.

#8 Ergopad

Ergopad
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:18 AM

How about something more unique than buff/damage?

How about healing?

Give Faramir ability to make campfire, that soothes and heals like mirror of galadriel. Gorkil already has totem that kind of works like the same way.

Posted Image

Edited by Ergopad, 29 December 2009 - 11:20 AM.

Posted Image
The Path of The Avatar

Heroes never die
...As long as they are remembered.

#9 yams in a can

yams in a can

Friend of the Right Side

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:37 PM

Now that is a cool idea.

Posted Image
To the professor, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.

Posted Image
Posted Image

-yams in a can

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users