#22 KingElessar2384

KingElessar2384

Skill of a Ranger, Courage of a Warrior, Leadership of a King

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • Projects:Reading the SEE Forum and other things
  •  SEE Guardian, Defender of the Good

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:36 PM

It's said the Ents have no allegiance, with any of the Free Peoples. As Treebeard said, "Side? I am on nobody's side, because nobody is on my side."
This day does not belong to one man, but to all, let us together rebuild this world, that we may share in days of peace.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

In the War of the Ring, Treebeard took orders from Gandalf only, and the Ents had no association to the Rohirrim as such. The Ents were closer to the Elves; the two people knew each other and respected each other, cf.:

from Unfinished Tales, History of Galadriel and Celeborn, Appendix C: The Boundaries of Lórien:

In another essay my father noted that whereas east and west the land of Lórien was bounded by Anduin and by the mountains (and he says nothing about any extension of the realm of Lórien across the Anduin, it had no clearly defined borders northward and southward.

Of old the Galadhrim had claimed to govern the woods as far as the falls in the Silverlode where Frodo was bathed; southward it had extended far beyond the Silverlode into more open woodland of smaller trees that merged into Fangorn Forest, though the heart of the realm had always been in the angle between Silverlode and Anduin where Caras Galadhon stood. There were no visible borders between Lórien and Fangorn, but neither the Ents nor the Galadhrim ever passed them. For legend reported that Fangorn himself had met the King of the Galadhrim in ancient days, and Fangorn had said: ."I know mine, and you know yours; let neither side molest what is the other's. But if an Elf should wish to walk in my land for his pleasure he will be welcome; and if an Ent should be seen in your land fear no evil." Long years had passed, however, since Ent or Elf had set foot in the other land.

On the magical chanting, to bring down walls: according to the lore, we only know of Lúthien and Galadriel who had this rare gift. I believe it would be wrong to attribute this to other elves, although the Silvan Elves in their own tongue named themselves Lindar, which means '(the) Singers'.

Edited by Námo, 14 February 2011 - 03:22 PM.

... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#24 KingElessar2384

KingElessar2384

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:29 PM

So Galadriel should be given a devastation power like, Song of Wrath or it could be incorporated with the current Nenya power?
This day does not belong to one man, but to all, let us together rebuild this world, that we may share in days of peace.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

None of The Three Rings of the Elves had destructive powers; Sauron had no part in their making, though they were all subject to the power of the One Ring.

The power of Nenya was to sustain life and beauty, within the boundaries of Galadriel's realm; this is clearly also from the etymologies of the realm's various names:

from Unfinished Tales: The History of Galadriel and Celeborn, note 5.

... Lórinand was the Nandorin name of this region (afterwards called Lórien and Lothlórien), and contained the Elvish word meaning "golden light": "valley of gold." The Quenya form would be Laurenandë, the Sindarin Glornan or Nan Laur. Both here and elsewhere the meaning of the name is explained by reference to the golden mallorn-trees of Lothlórien; but they were brought there by Galadriel, and in another, later, discussion the name Lórinand is said to have been itself a transformation, after the introduction of the mallorns, of a yet older name Lindórinand, "Vale of the Land of the Singers." Since the Elves of this land were in origin Teleri, there is here no doubt present the name by which the Teleri called themselves, Lindar, "the Singers." From many other discussions of the names of Lothlórien, to some extent at variance among themselves, it emerges that all the later names were probably due to Galadriel herself, combining different elements: laurë "gold," nan(d) "valley," ndor "land," lin- "sing"; and in Laurelindórinan "Valley of Singing Gold" (which Treebeard told the Hobbits was the earlier name) deliberately echoing the name of the Golden Tree that grew in Valinor, "for which, as is plain, Galadriel's longing increased year by year to, at last, an overwhelming regret."

Lórien itself was originally the Quenya name of a region in Valinor, often used as the name of the Vala (Irmo) to whom it belonged; "a place of rest and shadowy trees and fountains, a retreat from cares and griefs." The further change from Lórinand "Valley of Gold" to Lórien "may well be due to Galadriel herself," for "the resemblance cannot be accidental. She had endeavoured to make Lórien a refuge and an island of peace and beauty, a memorial of ancient days, but was now filled with regret and misgiving, knowing that the golden dream was hastening to a grey awakening. It may be noted that Treebeard interpreted Lothlórien as 'Dreamflower.'"

Edited by Námo, 14 February 2011 - 03:25 PM.

... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#26 KingElessar2384

KingElessar2384

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:19 PM

Nenya should be given healing powers (like now) and perhaps something that will help restore damaged structures. Perhaps Elrond, who has Vilya should be able to revive fallen warriors, but I'm not sure if Vilya had a minor part in helping to create the flood at Bruinen,(Gandalf animated the waters into white horses). Gandalf, who has Narya should be able to grant immunity to fear, more resistance, and an inspired attack and armor bonus to troops and heroes, since Narya was given to him by Cirdan who said

" "Take now this Ring," he said; "for thy labours and thy cares will be heavy, but in all it will support thee and defend thee from weariness. For this is the Ring of Fire, and herewith, maybe, thou shalt rekindle hearts to the valour of old in a world that grows chill" (Círdan the Shipwright to Gandalf).
Thx
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 isledebananas

isledebananas
  • Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:59 AM

My idea to have Treebeard and some Ents as summon for Rohan is simple. One thing is Rohan need one of those powerful spells in their book. Plus Rohan siege is somewhat weak so to counter that give them a hand with a spell. Secondly while they don't have a relationship they do have a common enemy in Isengard and Saruman. That is why they would have that spell with Treebeard and some Ents. Actual buildable Ents would have to be removed as their strength is just too great. The AI doesn't know how to use them effectively or fight against them effectively so its always been a bit of trouble in that department. The Elves would have the closest thing to a buildable Ent in Quickbeam(the only Ent who did want to fight) in that he spawns from the oldest Fortress when their Ent power is purchased. Its a passive bonus in that as long as their is a Fortress he will auto spawn from there and come back from there if he dies after some time. The active part of the spell summons 4 regular Ents to fight.

The destructive power would yes be only available for Galadriel. The Lindar would have subtle magic which only buffs surrounding troops. It would give some kind of bonus damage against buildings. This would give the Elves a unique type of siege plus give their faction a weakness which earlier they didn't really have. If they were that strong I don't think they would have so much trouble in ages past. Furthermore they weren't known for their success in siege warfare without the aid of outsides which usually included Ents, Humans, or Ainur. Elves on their own are lore-wise somewhat siege deficient so I think that should apply. Conversely they should be a difficult faction to besiege.

I had idea for powers of the 3 Rings.

Gandalf's Ring Power was going to be a spellbook power or it could be changed to just requiring him. Its an ability that increases attack damage and attack speed of units and heroes when they drop below a certain % of hp. This would be like an ability of every unit sans siege units, but it would require Gandalf to be on the field.

Galadriel's has 3 different Ring Powers. One reduces damage done by enemy units in a wide radius around her, which works like an aura but is a cast ability. Another is cast ability which causes it to rain in an area around her that heals units and negates enemy auras plus removes any land altering effects like Tainted Land(not all just in the are of the spell). The last is like a large purifying mist ability that is locked on to Galadriel which reduces enemy sight and range plus stealths allies and herself within the mist.

Elrond had several different Ring Powers. One which is basically the old Tornado spell. Another which causes wind to slow enemy movement and stop them from attacking. Another which reduces enemy spell affects such as damage and duration which is a cast. Lastly, an ability which passively increases Spell Book recharge time while he is active.

Due to the strength of Elrond and Galadriel's spells and their lack of involvement in lore I believed that they should both be timed summons from the Fortress. I think that would add to some strategy instead of constantly having these super powered units that can rend armies to shreds all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users