Photo

Pirates

5 replies to this topic

#1 Aquila

Aquila
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:30 PM

I wonder - how can I reduce number of pirate ships? I do not like the idea of extremely strong pirates in 95% of planets. When Empire was born Emperor had hundreds of planets under his control, not only five and, moreover, separated (right now I can't even get Vader to the Emperor because they are far away from themselves and between them there are many planets with fleets far stronger than my own forces). After few weeks Rebels managed to capture ~5 planets and I - none. Pirates not only have stronger ships (My newest "baby" is Acclamator II, working on Acclamator III and Dreadnought III) it also seems that they have magically spawning starbases - my first (lost) battle was against the rebel fleet with 5 starbases - my huge fleet of Acclamators, dreadnoughts and lesser ships was pulverized by pirates but I've managed to destroy (among other things) their one starbase and capital ship which, almost instantly have spawned again after returning to the Galaxy view... In this case I think I'll have to wait many weeks before I do proper research and create a fleet that would capture this planet - and it's only one of the closest neighbours of Courscant! By that time I think the rebels will conquer half of the galaxy.

I understand that maybe someone like those insanely strong pirate fleets but for me - it's totally ridiculous. But I don't want to remove them completely, just.. let's say - reduce by 50 - 70%. Can it be done? And if yes - then how exactly?

Edited by Aquila, 16 December 2009 - 10:32 PM.

#2 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:04 AM

It's fairly easy, and I've done something similar, but mostly for lag reasons. Go into the XMLs (game data folder/data/xml I think) and open the relevant folder, then delete the ships.

#3 Aquila

Aquila
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:30 AM

Well... in my xml folder I have plenty of xml files and I really have no idea what to do... My last attepmt of deleting artillery units from the game failed miserably and I don't want to mess with xml files ifI don't know what do to. Do you mean I have to open Campaigns Galaxy Far Far Away.xml and delete the ships? Is that only it?

#4 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:01 AM

That's the only way I know of to do it.

#5 Aquila

Aquila
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:42 AM

Yes! It worked! Now everything is much better - no more situations when Empire had only Acclamators and pirates had in one fleet few Victory or even Imperial class destroyers! Thanks!

#6 Tropical Bob

Tropical Bob

title available

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:56 AM

You can definitely take Pirate planets with Acclamator IIs and Dreadnaught IIs. Just make sure you have at least 150% of the space cap limit's worth of them before you move on anything.

Use the Acclamators as your anti-capitals. Especially when you get the IIs. That's when they become gigantic bombers. You'll definitely lose some of the Pirates have Imperial-class ships, but they're much more useful than you may think. The trick is to use them in concert. Keep them knit up tightly, and focus fire when needed. And most importantly, take your time. Don't get too anxious or rushed. Advance slowly, and use fighters as scouts to know what's ahead, if necessary.

Use your Dreadnaughts as your fighter and frigate screen while the Acclamators do the heavy lifting. The lasers will clean out fighters with ease, and whatever turbolasers they may have will be quite enough to defend yourself from any frigates the Pirates have.

My fleets usually don't have accompanying fighter squadrons; I use whatever fighter garrisons my fleet carries. If I bring anything along, it'll be Skipray Blastboats. 5-10 of those will turn the tide of any number of fighters the enemy might throw at you.

Just to warn you: removing large numbers of Pirate forces will take a toll on gameplay later in your campaign. Even with full Pirate forces, once you cross a certain threshold, Pirate planets become just a nuisance between you and the Rebellion, and not any sort of impediment. With reduced numbers, that threshold will come much sooner.

Edited by Tropical Bob, 17 December 2009 - 07:57 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users