Split: Blaster Gas

26 replies to this topic

#21 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:54 AM

Well that makes perfect sense anyway so I'm cool with it.

Playing PR when stoned is awesome

#22 Kitkun

Kitkun

Hater

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:38 AM

I would have no problem with the above idea.

however, to add balance, if that feature were added, i would suggest (so they don't become too buffed) (and this is only if this feature isn't already in place) that torpedoes have reduced maneuverability and speed when compared to Concussion Missiles, although the Advanced Torpedoes would make up for some of the lost maneuverability and speed. therefore, while they could be used against other fighters, Torpedoes would have reduced effectiveness compared to Concussion Missiles

They already do. Likewise, they are more powerful than concussion missiles.

Iirc, due to their greater power/reduced maneuverability and some canon references that the torpedoes were available in very limited numbers, it was decided they should be saved for capital ships in the mod.

Edited by Kitkun, 16 January 2014 - 01:41 AM.

Frosty Freaky Foreign Forum Fox

<DevXen> Today I was at the store and saw a Darth Vader action figure that said "Choking Hazard." It was great.

#23 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:14 AM

I would have no problem with the above idea.

however, to add balance, if that feature were added, i would suggest (so they don't become too buffed) (and this is only if this feature isn't already in place) that torpedoes have reduced maneuverability and speed when compared to Concussion Missiles, although the Advanced Torpedoes would make up for some of the lost maneuverability and speed. therefore, while they could be used against other fighters, Torpedoes would have reduced effectiveness compared to Concussion Missiles

They already do. Likewise, they are more powerful than concussion missiles.

Iirc, due to their greater power/reduced maneuverability and some canon references that the torpedoes were available in very limited numbers, it was decided they should be saved for capital ships in the mod.

Which makes the ships they're on heavily nerfed in combat.
And saving them for cap ships is silly, as poorly balanced as they are what with how they ignore shields.

#24 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Sith Lord of Campaigns

• Project Team
  • 2,035 posts
  •  Phoenix Rising QA Lead; Manual Editor

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

It could also be differing levels of energy. I think I had mentioned that in another thread a while back. It would explain why Rebel bolts are red, as it'll be less energetic than, say, green or blue (Due to limited Rebel funds, accessibility to higher quality blaster gas, etc.). Unfortunately, such a theory would mean Imperial bolts are less energetic than Republic ones. Unless the light spectrum emitted from plasma bolts recycles itself when it comes to optical/plasma/particle physics, in which case Imperial bolts may be a step up. Not sure.

Just remember that it may be simply a case of adjusting the emission frequency in the lasing cavity. Red Light occurs at 650nm; green light at 510nm. It may even be a case of having the energy in the blaster bolt itself at one frequency, and energising a fraction of the gases to fluoresce at your desired wavelength.

In fact, the energy of the blaster probably implies that the "hot" bit of the blaster is emitting white light, and you have added in a wee bit of low energy gas to fluoresce in the required visible part of the spectrum and both are combined in the "bolt".

If you get the chemistry of the gas right, you can tune the band gaps to a desired separation and then when the gases are excited to a high energy state, they collapse back to a low energy state emitting light to the frequency of the band gap - in this case red or green as you desire. 

So blaster bolt colour is down to the precise chemistry of the gas mixture.  

#25 Tropical Bob

Tropical Bob

title available

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:40 AM

It could also be differing levels of energy. I think I had mentioned that in another thread a while back. It would explain why Rebel bolts are red, as it'll be less energetic than, say, green or blue (Due to limited Rebel funds, accessibility to higher quality blaster gas, etc.). Unfortunately, such a theory would mean Imperial bolts are less energetic than Republic ones. Unless the light spectrum emitted from plasma bolts recycles itself when it comes to optical/plasma/particle physics, in which case Imperial bolts may be a step up. Not sure.

Just remember that it may be simply a case of adjusting the emission frequency in the lasing cavity. Red Light occurs at 650nm; green light at 510nm. It may even be a case of having the energy in the blaster bolt itself at one frequency, and energising a fraction of the gases to fluoresce at your desired wavelength.

In fact, the energy of the blaster probably implies that the "hot" bit of the blaster is emitting white light, and you have added in a wee bit of low energy gas to fluoresce in the required visible part of the spectrum and both are combined in the "bolt".

If you get the chemistry of the gas right, you can tune the band gaps to a desired separation and then when the gases are excited to a high energy state, they collapse back to a low energy state emitting light to the frequency of the band gap - in this case red or green as you desire. 

So blaster bolt colour is down to the precise chemistry of the gas mixture.  

Sounds like you know much more than me regarding that, so we can just forget my post.  :thumbsupxd:

#26 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

I still say team laser colors are silly.

When I see blue blaster fire, I expect it to mean either clone war era republic weapons or ion cannon.

#27 megabalta

megabalta

title available

• Project Team
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

Agreed. Maybe we should put up a vote. Or it's minimod time. Or put up a vote if it should be in the mod or a minimod. Or just stfu and enjoy purple laserfire.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users