Putting Out Fire.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kraft Singles

Kraft Singles
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:19 AM

Just played a game on Mirkwood as elves against a few brutal AI's. Things were going pretty well until a massive fire started ripping through my base. I sent my three builders over to put the fire out. Two of them walked into the fire, whipped out their buckets, and then died before putting the fire out. The third one threw his bucket of water, which put out a small patch of the fire. Pretty damn ineffective. Has fire been changed at all in this mod? It seems WAY more damaging and WAY harder to put out.

Regardless of whether or not the mod changed anything to do with fire, it's still a problem. At least for me. I just find it irritating when a bunch of mallorn trees and two barracks are taken out by fire. Can something not be done about it?

#2 Eothialen

Eothialen
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:36 PM

That just happened to me in Dol Guldur i think. I think i actually started the fire my self, i had elven archers shooting at some orcs and BAM! Fire everywhere. I guess it's because of the new archer system sometimes they iss and the arrows hit the ground starting a fire...

#3 Ring o' Fate

Ring o' Fate

The Ghost.

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Projects:Trying to find meaning...
  •  The guy that is just a ghost.

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:10 AM

...Silverthorns do fire damage? I'd expect that from anyone EXCEPT Elves. All you need to do is just not aim near your damn base. In fact, us the fire to your advantage. Make a barrier between the AI and your base. And use the porters when fire starts getting close.
A changed man is only the same man with a different outlook of life.

#4 Kraft Singles

Kraft Singles
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:25 AM

Not aim near my base? That becomes difficult, as I usually keep my army relatively close to my base. What am I supposed to do? Move them away from my fortifications and defense towers? That's not really a solution.

The real problem though, stems from the basis of the fire system. At the moment, fire is highly damaging (Something I quite like actually. It makes sense) moves fast, is easy to start, and hard to put out. Yes, I'm aware of the porter function to put out fire. The unfortunate part about this function is that it doesn't put out enough fire, and it's a bit of a bitch to deal with in the heat of battle. I just don't have the time to maneuver my porter around the fire as it advances, and then use the water function. So, most of the time, I just grab a porter, and tell him to use his water on the main area of fire. Half the time, the idiot porter runs into the fire and then whips out his bucket; dying before he can put out any fire. Battle for Middle Earth clearly wasn't designed for micro.

#5 Ring o' Fate

Ring o' Fate

The Ghost.

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Projects:Trying to find meaning...
  •  The guy that is just a ghost.

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

What I mean is don't have the archers aim near your base, meaning, just aim OUTWARD. Use your melee units for guys that get close. Or are you one of those people that just get archers and heroes?
A changed man is only the same man with a different outlook of life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users