11 replies to this topic

#1 WoRm1NaToR

WoRm1NaToR
  • Hosted
  • 38 posts
  • Projects:RA2/YR: Chronostorm
  •  Some random modder

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:15 AM

Hello, I sent in a hosting request earlier today via the hosting website form, and I'd like to make an addendum to my submission -- easy-access screenshots of my mod (I know I said they were on the website, but I may as well make it this much more avaliable to you guys)

So... here they are:

Soviet fortress bombers providing ground support:
Posted Image

Soviet advanced attack force: EMP tanks, Apocs, and (bottom left) Lightning storm tanks
Posted Image

An iraqui mid-tech assault force with toxin-infused shells
Posted Image

Allied laser choppers:
Posted Image

Allied Harriers boasting a new upgrade to thier payload size:
Posted Image

Allied vehicles deploying into turrets:
Posted Image

Allied mid-tech force attacking the enemy base:
Posted Image

Also, since I made this thread, we can use it to discuss anything related to my being hosted, as well as your decision of IF you will host me or not.

And another thing, I have decided to go with my current website domain name as that would just be easier, however in the near future I may release a brand new website independent of webs.com, in which case I would like webspace for chronostorm.cncguilds.net. Is there any guaruntee that this webspace name would be open for me should I decide to use it?

Edited by WoRm1NaToR, 24 January 2010 - 03:33 AM.

#2 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

I've added a link to this topic to your original request, so the people responsible for it are sure to find this :thumbsupsmiley:

And another thing, I have decided to go with my current website domain name as that would just be easier, however in the near future I may release a brand new website independent of webs.com, in which case I would like webspace for chronostorm.cncguilds.net. Is there any guaruntee that this webspace name would be open for me should I decide to use it?

I'm affraid keeping your *.webs.com address while being hosted here is technically impossible. You'll have to take chronostorm.cncguild.net immediately.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#3 WoRm1NaToR

WoRm1NaToR
  • Hosted
  • 38 posts
  •  Some random modder

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:08 PM

hmm, the registration form said that I was allowed to have my own website domain if I already had a website there...

If you're serious though that I can't keep the webs.com site, then I will need to get with someone who has more professional web desigining experience, as I have little to speak of... webs.com only allows you to get an entirely new domain (like www.cncguilds.net), and not just webspace within (like chronostorm.cncguilds.net), so I will have to make a new website (which isn't a problem, because I am working on making one, but it doesn't look very pretty as I don't have much experience)

Edited by WoRm1NaToR, 24 January 2010 - 05:10 PM.

#4 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:22 PM

I don't think there are real expectations regarding the website. Mines pretty simple and crappy, but it does the job. The most important thing for a mod is it's forums IMO.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

hmm, the registration form said that I was allowed to have my own website domain if I already had a website there...

Yes, and you can have for example chronostorm.com. You can't have chronostorm.webs.com because you are not in control of webs.com.
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#6 WoRm1NaToR

WoRm1NaToR
  • Hosted
  • 38 posts
  •  Some random modder

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:57 PM

hmm, well I have never really made a real website myself before, not with HTML or any kind of site builder. Can anyone direct me to some good software and some tutorials that will teach me the basic things I need to know? Or better yet, is there someone willing to personally help me make a website?

I know it's a bit embarassing that I have no experience in making websites, but everyone starts sometime, I guess...

#7 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

That's not embarrassing at all, everyone starts at zero.
If you have questions related to web design or coding just post them in the Developers Corner. As for tutorials: Jeeves has just posted a good list to get started in another topic.

If you need something quick and dirty you could simply copy the source code from your webs.com site and make some minor adjustments. You should be able to do that yourself as soon as you've read through the first few tutorials.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#8 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  • Projects:Survive Med School
  •  Your Doc
  • Job:Hosting Admin

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:42 PM

And let's me remind you that you can get the source code of any page if you're using Firefox.

Just right-click in a place of the pack and click in SourceCode.

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#9 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Grumble Grumble.

• Division Leaders
  • 2,946 posts
  • Projects:The Third War, Ares, misc side projects.
  •  Strategist and Modder
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Division Leader
  • Association

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:39 PM

Of course, that doesn't always give you the true source code of a page... for example, if I were to do that right now with this forum topic, it'll give me the HTML and CSS rendering the page, but not the PHP code that's actually doing all the work (and is all you'll find if you look at the physical file "index.php" on the forum's domain). :p
Posted Image
Posted Image
Job Openings with the Guild: Division Staff, News Posters.
Job Openings with Ares: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.

PM if interested.

#10 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:25 AM

Fortunately just HTML will make a fine starting site

#11 WoRm1NaToR

WoRm1NaToR
  • Hosted
  • 38 posts
  •  Some random modder

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:46 AM

well after a few hours of learning the ropes I produced something workable... if you're THAT curious you can go check it out... (warning: the site is not complete, many dead end links)

Edited by WoRm1NaToR, 26 January 2010 - 02:47 AM.

#12 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  • Projects:Survive Med School
  •  Your Doc
  • Job:Hosting Admin

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:43 PM

Looking great... :p

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users