making new units and buildings

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan18124

Jordan18124
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:46 PM

How do I make new units and buildings for my mod? And then how do I add them to my mod? I have already downloaded Gmax, Renx and W3D importer.

I want to be able to edit the looks of current units as well, how do I do this?

Edited by Jordan18124, 26 January 2010 - 05:00 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,837 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:53 PM

Follow some Tutorials on the3rdage.net? :) Otherwise follow some basic Modeling tutorials to learn ;) Or attempt to modify existing models :p
Ridder Geel

#3 Jordan18124

Jordan18124
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

I have looked on the main site for tutorials on making new units and buildings. But there is only one that tell you how to make a new unit. There are none to explain how to male new buildings.

For the editing existing ones, I'm really looking to make all their clothes and armour black and red, because I am making a mod where the Elves turn to Mordor as allys. (exciting!! :))
Posted Image

#4 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,837 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:08 PM

Well, you see the thing is... Making a new unit or building is pretty self explanatory. What you do is, make a new .ini file for your unit/building. Then think of what other unit/building is a close to your unit as physically possible. If what your making is a unit, the one that is best to copy is usually the one with the animations you want to use. If it's a building, the best to copy is usually the one with the same job or effect (barracks... farm... ect)

Then, you find the code for that unit/building. Where they are located is usually pretty easy to find. (GondorUnits.ini for example. Obviously has all gondor units.)
Then, you copy the code and paste it in your new .ini file. Replacing the old names to your new one.

E.G: You're trying to make a rohirrim sword rider. The closest unit would be the gondor knight, because it's a mounted swordsman right? so, find the code in gondorcavalry.ini and copy it. Then paste it in your new code. rohirrimsword.ini for example.

Them replace all the GondorKnight with RohanRohirrimSword.
*note* do NOT replace the ones in the animations, or even the sounds for the moment. This will mess up all your animations because RohanRohirrimSword has no animations to itself.

Anyways, the ones you have to focus on are:

Object Name
CommandSet
WeaponSet(I reccomend leaving this as GondorKnight for now)
ArmorSet(Again, leave as GondorKnight)

Then it is a matter of exploring, copying, renaming, testing, and fixing bugs.

good luck!

*hint* if you see something that says commandset, look to see what there is in commandst.ini things may start to make sense. :)

If you have any questions, ask.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#5 Jordan18124

Jordan18124
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

yh, once I have made the new ini, how do i create the new models and skins for them? this will make them look different right?
Posted Image

#6 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,837 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:19 PM

I recommend getting the new code to work first. And just use a model that is in the game for now.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#7 Jordan18124

Jordan18124
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:25 PM

ok. i'll get working on that then. thnx
Posted Image

#8 Dz_Badmen

Dz_Badmen
  • Members
  • 24 posts
  • Projects:rise of the damn shadows

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:02 PM

i tryed everything to add a unit well i ve made everything the coding the skining ect... btw the unit is to replace the rohan royal gurad and put in them to gondor stable but it seems like its not my problem i mean ingame its just i think obsolute units cant be all be created

is this my problem or what  :whatoa:

#9 Emperor of the East

Emperor of the East

A simple guy who likes to think factually

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Projects:Easterling Faction for RotWK and the Planet Thertia novels.

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:08 PM

Kwen, your answer sounds solid and I have actually done the coding you describe for my mod called 'Empire of the East', but what about adding a texture to a building? I tried adding texture to model the same way for buildings Bfme modding involves doing for units, and that almost never works. For example, it works for me with Rohan buildings but never for anyone else, especially not for an Easterling faction.

Therefore my question to all who have successfully added texture to model for buildings for mods like Age of the Ring and The Dwarf Holds is: How do you properly add texture to model for Buildings?

"You cannot know anything; only suspect. You must suspect to be wrong. To have overlooked, something, anticipate."

~Malik Al-Sayf, from the original Assassin's Creed from 2007

Yes, I do live by this advice to the best of my ability.

#10 NewErr

NewErr

Legionary of Doom

• Project Team
  • 2,170 posts
  • Projects:The RC Mod
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:15 PM

What do you actually want to do and what did you do?

If you want to replace the texture you need to overwrite the current one. If you want to change it without overwriting the previous one you need to reexport the model with the new texture (And name) you want and recreate the asset.dat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users