duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:35 PM

This is the thread for scripting. A basic summary:

Unity3d has access to three scripting languages; JavaScript, c#(cSharp) and Boo, a dialect of Python. You can mix and match these languages in unity3d because they all compile to the same code.

Javascript is the least strict and most "casual" language. Pro: less redundant definition of classes and the likes, thus less typing. Con: danger of variables being wrongly defined because you didnt add enough information when declaring them(trying to do mathematical functions on a string variable), and hardcore coders not knowing whats going on because you let the compiler do alot of the work for you.

C# is the most strict language, meaning you have to write alot more to do small things. If you are good at programming you are usually used to this and prefer to work this way, because you can then understand whats going on by reading the descriptive code instead of guessing what happens during compilation. pro: very precise, easier for programmers to understand since its written in a more standardized style. Con: not very easy to get into for casual scripters like myself.

Boo is the odd one out, it is a mix of the two, leaning towards C# in certain fields. I won't try to explain the difference, I will rather link to other threads On the topic.
A list of handy links:

More to come as people suggest them. edit: fixed some misguided links and added a few more.

Found 20 hours of programming methology, might be useful if you want to learn the difference on being able to program and programming well.

Edited by duke_Qa, 27 February 2010 - 12:02 AM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users