• 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

Your problem might in fact be a recent Windows update, as explained in an article at Ars Technica.

Edit: Nvm, you're running XP, which shouldn't be affected.

Edited by Dark Lord of the Sith, 24 February 2010 - 02:14 PM.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#22 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:28 PM

I'd just find a buddy with a pc that can take the disk, see if you can read it, copy whatever shit you want to some other disk or usb-stick. Then reformat it and reinstall windows and paste shit back.

Since you are able to get halfway through the windows boot, I'd guess the disk is okay, so that should be possible. don't spend cash on anything you don't know is the cause before you've done the basic things.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#23 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:26 PM

The first thing I am going to try, is more RAM. Since I need it anyway. Then, if that has no effect I will use a linux OS boot disk I have to boot the computer without the hard drive. Then transfer my necessary files to my second hard drive. Format, and reinstall windows XP Pro on my hard drive. And be more careful next time.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#24 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

How many sticks do you have already? Test them one at a time. If one beeps, you have a bad stick. I would also download the "Ultimate Boot CD" and burn it, then run memtest86 to check for more RAM errors. Likely it will come back with errors.

However, make sure the hard drive boots in another PC first though. You have to make sure it's not a virus or anything first. Don't want to buy RAM if that's not the issue.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#25 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:59 PM

I do not have a computer to test it in, nless I convert it to an external. And I need more RAM anyway, so getting it at this point is more then a possible fix, it is more or less a small upgrade.

I have 2 512 sticks of RAM, and I tested each in the 4 RAM slots. I got no beeping, and my computer did the same thing in every position I put them in. So, either I have 2 bad RAM sticks, or something else.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#26 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:39 PM

Well if you can afford it, buy another harddrive at the same time, install your OS of choice and check your old disk.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#27 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:46 PM

Can't afford it.

#28 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:55 PM

then get a used one or something, it would certainly solve most of your problems ;)

#29 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:12 PM

I do not have a computer to test it in, nless I convert it to an external. And I need more RAM anyway, so getting it at this point is more then a possible fix, it is more or less a small upgrade.

You won't need to convert anything. Just unhook the other drive and put this one in its place. If it doesn't boot still, your OS is nuked and you'll need to reinstall it anyway.

I have 2 512 sticks of RAM, and I tested each in the 4 RAM slots. I got no beeping, and my computer did the same thing in every position I put them in. So, either I have 2 bad RAM sticks, or something else.

4 slots. Slap a new pair of 512 sticks in there to run 2GB and fill all of your RAM slots. It's usually a good idea to fill all of your slots anyway. Bad RAM may not beep; download the Ultimate Boot CD and run memtest86. That will show without a doubt if your a stick, or both, are bad.

http://www.newegg.co...st.... x 512MB)
Look over those and purchase a pair. I'd recommend new RAM anyway as mixing and matching is a VERY bad idea. Also make sure what your motherboard runs optimally and buy in that range otherwise performance will degrade.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#30 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:36 AM

If you can boot a live CD (parted magic is teh shitz) you know its the HDD or OS. Once you've booted the live CD you can run gparted or whatever partition editor it has to check the disk for errors. If you get none, its probably the OS is corrupted, in which case install 7 and save yourself a lot of trouble.

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#31 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:43 AM

I have acquired Windows 7 Home Premium. Granted I will still only have 1GB of RAM, it may not be as fast as it was before. I am using Ultimate Boot CD and testing my RAM, then I will recover, and format my hard drive. Then install Windows 7.

#32 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:28 AM

So, as it turns out. I cannot access the files from my hard drive. So, the only hope I have left... Is to wipe it, and see if I can salvage it...

#33 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:02 AM

What makes you say you cannot access your files? Does it deny access or are they not there?

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#34 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:18 AM

Don't immediately assume that it's broken, you might just be doing something wrong. In fact, since you can begin booting XP, I'm certain it's not broken.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#35 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:37 PM

The hard drive wouldn't open. Refused to. I got pissed, and just wiped it. I've had enough.

And now it's working.

Edited by Kwen, 25 February 2010 - 02:38 PM.

#36 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:20 PM

Oh well. everyone is happy. just don't expect us not to laugh if you get more HD-problems in the future ;)

#37 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:29 PM

Thanks very much. Believe it or not I greatly enjoy being subject to your humor. I hope you enjoy the pleasure you get from my loss.

#38 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:36 PM

I've recovered a lot of data from 'dead' and otherwise unusable hard drives, you know. I'm willing to throw a freebie out there once and a while but too late now. :crazed:

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#39 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:01 PM

Don't you just wish I'd participated earlier? You could've saved all your personal data. Maybe this little nugget of information will help you or someone else next time.

Burn yourself a copy of Fedora. (DLotS or jnengland77 may know of a better alternative)
Boot it up (it doesn't need to be installed) and mount your hard drive.
Attach an external storage device and copy your data onto it.
Now you are free to wipe your hard drive without losing any data.

Just remember to have a strong antivirus ready for when you attach your external storage device, just incase you rescued more than you wanted ;)
Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#40 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:49 PM

Fedora?

0 user(s) are reading this topic