• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:10 PM

Two words: fucking awesome.

Anyone else familiar with it?
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#2 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:45 PM

Yes, but with a differing opinion.

#3 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:46 PM

Old news man. A pretty good sci-fi show yeah. not too happy about the ending but what can you do. Haven't started on Caprica yet, bit sceptical to series where you know what is going to happen, but it might be interesting.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#4 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

Caprica is equivalent to junk mail.

#5 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:05 PM

Haven't seen Caprica yet (heard it's pretty meh), just started with BSG. So far very enjoying it :crazed:
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#6 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:09 PM

I hate it like every other sci-fi show. They're all just... so... fucking... bad. >_>

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#7 partyzanPaulZy

partyzanPaulZy

"quarawr!"

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Projects:Corruption Of Power - YR mod
  •  doing my mod alone till 1st release (then will see)

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:28 PM

I have enjoyed new BSG series, it was mysterious (angels/demons, prophecies, previous lives of the Final 5), it was realistic (advanced kinetic weapons, FTL worked like it used wormhole or teleport, nukes), there was strong story and strongly depicted psychology... you couldn't tell who was real villain or hero. It was depressive, grey, but awesome show with ending.
IMHO: 8.5/10

I don't know about that Dallas from Caprica, I haven't seen it and dunno if I should.

Well, I like sci-fi (I also like fantasy or horror), I've read The Martian Chronicles, I've read and seen some episodes of Dune, some movies upon Julle Verne novels,
Star Trek, Star Trek, Star Wars (rather fantasy) and many others. Several years ago I saw few episodes of the Andromeda, when I found it's childish (and lame) like Transformers and weird like the Lost (Lost series ended lost). Don't mismatch with Andromeda Strain - really good movie(1971, 2008), based on novel about epidemy of allien virus.

@Beowulf: but anime uses portions of science fiction and you obviously like anime :crazed:
Posted Image
"Soviet Union was a superpower and each superpower needs at least 1 war at 5 years to keep army in a good condition." ... my grandpa. USA create wars more frequently.

#8 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:52 PM

@Beowulf: but anime uses portions of science fiction and you obviously like anime :crazed:

Hmm, Cowboy Bebop anyone? :dry:

#9 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:20 PM

I hate it like every other sci-fi show. They're all just... so... fucking... bad. >_>

I'd rather watch Jack Bower kick faces in too, but there are good quality Sci-Fi's out there. Firefly, being a prime winner and embaracement to the Fox network for ending.

#10 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:39 AM

I do, but it's done well. I just cannot stand American sci-fi. It's just feels so unwatchable. I couldn't even watch five minutes of Star Trek. It was just that bad.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#11 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:36 AM

Which one did you see? If it was the originals with Kirk and his gang of weird actors, then I don't blame you.

#12 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:34 AM

Star Trek Enterprise I think. I just could not watch it. It was so lame, I had to put on car chases to recuperate from massive wall of lame.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#13 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:35 AM

Oh, Enterprise. The theme song draws in sea faring travelers and bores them with problems that are always resolved with no main character deaths. That engineer guy always was possessed by something...

#14 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:48 AM

Honestly, comparing Enterprise to actual trek is kinda like playing C&C3 and judging Tiberian Sun by that standard. Though I'm with you in general - don't like Trek, I just recognize how very very much worse Enterprise was ;)

And I'm an extra in Caprica! Somewhere... in one scene...

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#15 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:44 AM

Firefly!

That is all.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#16 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:53 PM

Star Trek Enterprise I think. I just could not watch it. It was so lame, I had to put on car chases to recuperate from massive wall of lame.

Well, then I don't blame you for hating scifi ;) I don't like the various Treks too (save for the new movie), but to say that most scifi is like Star Trek... Nah. Really, I think you should just give BSG a try - it has good acting, great writing, flawed characters, and the story is very dark and depressing. In other words, the complete opposite of Star Trek.

#17 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:29 PM

Does it have what I have look for in scifi? Namely, good science and lots of things dying or getting blown up? I'm quite content to watch bad acting if the theory and special effects are good enough.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#18 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:06 PM

Well, the very first episode has several billion people dying by a rain of nukes after an attempted genocide by the Cylons. So I guess that's a yes.

Oh, and you should start at the 2003 miniseries. Please don't confuse the new series with the old, campy one ;)

#19 partyzanPaulZy

partyzanPaulZy

"quarawr!"

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Projects:Corruption Of Power - YR mod
  •  doing my mod alone till 1st release (then will see)

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:13 PM

The Man From Earth is also sci-fi... although all they used was one cottage, several mostly old actors and few cars... Seksmisja(18+) is also great. I still remember the password... ;)
There is also plenty of post-apocalyptic (Resident Evil, 28 days later, Terminator) or alternative-history (1984, Vendetta) sci-fi.
Well, sci-fi books are usually better than movies (although I dunno about written versions of alliens, Pandorum or Pitch Black),
some of them have good film adaptation (e. g. first books of Dune series - around dozen novels).

Star Trek wasn't really realistic, but there are many realistic sci-fi, including BSG (or similar Stargate Universe).

And those effects in BSG were spectacular: nukes explosions from almost any angle, clones, realistic damage on ships.

Edited by partyzanPaulZy, 27 February 2010 - 05:18 PM.

Posted Image
"Soviet Union was a superpower and each superpower needs at least 1 war at 5 years to keep army in a good condition." ... my grandpa. USA create wars more frequently.

#20 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

Hope you aren't referring to those abominations; Resident Evil movies.

Really, I think you should just give BSG a try - it has good acting, great writing, flawed characters, and the story is very dark and depressing. In other words, the complete opposite of Star Trek.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users