How do I change ini files in RotWK with FinalBIG?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Titan Cronus_*

Guest_Titan Cronus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:26 AM

Hey Guys.
Before I begin, I want to let you know Im a LotR B4ME game and worldbuilder veretan. I have the Worldbuilder 100% figured but now I want to go beyond that and change the actual units and structures. More precisely, I want to edit the obelete/unused hero, Damrod.

So, I Just got FinalBIG, made a backup copy of the ini file and started to try edit the original. At first it took a while to familiarise myself with it but now I can find most of the files I want but when I attempt to change them, I get no results in the game. Im assumeing (having never done anything like this) that to change one hero ingame, I'll need to edit several files with FinalBIG. Like, for example, I found his file but I think Im going to need to edit his command icon stuff in the CommandButton file also if I want to give him a new skill, which I do.
Initially, I thought i'd just work it all out by trial and error but that could take ages and may not even be possible, so now I've just dicided to ask for help.

So, If anyone could talk me through it, give me any help or even point me to any FinalBIG/RotWK tutorials (which I spent a fair while looking for already), I'd be SO Amazingly appreciative.

Cronus

#2 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:38 PM

FinalBig is a powerful tool yes, but I recommend that you extract the ini files into a folder, and edit them manually. It is easier to locate the files you want, and there is less restraint. Then, once you have your changes completed, you import the inis back into FinalBig and save it all as a new .big file. Then, run your mod from the .big using the -mod command.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#3 Guest_Titan Cronus_*

Guest_Titan Cronus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:03 PM

(Added) Also, when I made a copy of Damrod's file to edit so that I would still have the original one for reference, the game wouldn't load because or an error.
Anyone know how I can duplicate and change items then add them back into the game too?

#4 man_of_gondor

man_of_gondor
  • Members
  • 219 posts
  • Projects:BFA - Beta Tester, helping people installing mods.

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:22 PM

You just go to finalbig and search for the ini you need. Than you go to edit, extract all and you can put it in youre own mod folder. I will call the folder now TTT. Now you must have this: Folder TTT/data/ini/object/etc. Now you can open this ini with a text editor like notepad. Now you can change the things. If you want to play the game with youre mod, you have to copy this TTT folder and put it in this path: C:\Users\-yourename-\aplication data\roaming\mybattleformiddle earth files. After this is done you go to youre main BFME shortcut and copy this one. Past it on youre desktop so now you have 2 shortcuts. Right-click on one of them and press properties. Than add this to the target part: -mod TTT
Now if youre starting the old shortcut, the game will run the normal one. If you run the new one with -mod TTT. He will run the modded one.

I hope you get this explanation

Man of Gondor

#5 Guest_Titan Cronus_*

Guest_Titan Cronus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:06 PM

Cheers for the quick reply Guys.

If I tell you what I wan't to do, I don't suppose you guys could tell my what I need to do?
I just want to give Damrod another skill and change some of the info of another, like the name and the palantir icon. Like I said before, I thought I could just change the "data\ini\object\goodfaction\units\arnor\arnorcaptain.ini" and then in the data\ini\commandbutton.ini and data\ini\commandset.ini files but it so isn't that easy. I was trieing to do it all in the ini file though, without extracting.

I so hate having to get people to explain everything for me, I feel like the village eejet getting other people to do all the work for me.

#6 Guest_Titan Cronus_*

Guest_Titan Cronus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:14 PM

Also, my "Electronic Arts\The Lord of the Rings, The Rise of the Witch-king" folder is full of dump files. I'm guessing these are from when I get an error when trieing to load up the game. If so, I can just delete them all, right?

#7 man_of_gondor

man_of_gondor
  • Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:28 PM

Which kind of "dump files" do you mean?

#8 Titan Cronus

Titan Cronus

Do unto Others...

• Members
  • 693 posts
  • Projects:The Battle of the Pelennor Fields Mod.

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:50 PM

Im not sure, I'll show you some of the dump file names, see if that is any good to you.

DUMP__20100228-002930__76660_78924.dmp
or DUMP_2.01.2614.37001_20070617-231014_FC32172E-8F97-4139-B810-342D63CDC43E_3692_3764.dmp
or DUMP_2.01.2614.37001_20100302-124841_FC32172E-8F97-4139-B810-342D63CDC43E_4448_1180.dmp.

The dates of last modified on the most resent ones are from today and yesterday, which is what made me think that were like records of when the game failed to launch or when I got an error while loading maps over the last few days.

Edited by Titan Cronus, 02 March 2010 - 04:06 PM.

Battle of the Pelennor Fields

Made by 1 guy, has 13 Factions, 75+ Heroes, 150+ different units and 200+ Special abilities.

http://www.moddb.com...pelennor-fields

#9 man_of_gondor

man_of_gondor
  • Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

Never saw this, but have you tryed the way i said a few posts before?

#10 Titan Cronus

Titan Cronus

Do unto Others...

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:23 PM

Extracting it to the TTT folder? Yep. When I got part way through, I noticed that when I went to edit the file I wanted, it was just the same as editing it in the ini file, only in a word document (althouh a lot easier to find. cheers). And, Im still not sure what to edit to get the outcome I want. I want to give Damrod a Special Ability that another Hero has, so thought I could go to that hero's file and copy paste the info I wanted and change the rest in the commandbutton and commantset files. But its not going to be that easy, is it?

Edited by Titan Cronus, 02 March 2010 - 04:25 PM.

Made by 1 guy, has 13 Factions, 75+ Heroes, 150+ different units and 200+ Special abilities.

#11 man_of_gondor

man_of_gondor
  • Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:58 PM

Not at all. I dont really know anything about heroes and there powers. Maybe you should look at some tutorials on the main site, the3rdage.net.

#12 Titan Cronus

Titan Cronus

Do unto Others...

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:02 PM

Ok, fella, will do.
Cheers for the help and quick replys dude. You da Man!

If anyone else know how I can edit Damrod like I've mentioned above, please let me know. : )

#13 Titan Cronus

Titan Cronus

Do unto Others...

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:02 PM

Right, I went looking for tutorials like Man of Gondor said and found what I was looking for.

http://www.the3rdage...item-90?addview

How to give a hero another Special Ability, the example was even the exact ability I wanted to give Damrod, Blade Master.
So I thought I'd do an exact copy of the example. But, after looking through the Boromir (the hero used in the example) file for almost an hour, I just couldn't find where I was supposed to input the text. I then went and had a look in the Damrod (Arnor Captain) file and after looking for half an hour I was confident that I know where to put the text in his file. So I added all the text to the Arnor Captain file and added the text to other files, which was a piece of piss to find (it just seems that the unit files arn't laid out in a specific order so hard to find where to put things). Then I tested it ..... nothing.

So,... I don't suppose anyone who knows about coding could check out the tutorial and let me know where Im going wrong?

#14 Titan Cronus

Titan Cronus

Do unto Others...

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:54 AM

MoG, I just tried to put that TTT folder where you said and edit the target in the shortcut but it just says Target box is not valid. Then I relised that my excisting Tatger is "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Lord of the Rings, The Rise of the Witch-king\lotrbfme2ep1.exe" and not anything like C:\Users\-yourename-\aplication data\roaming\mybattleformiddle earth files. So where do I put the file now and the -mod TTT target extention?

#15 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:24 AM

"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Lord of the Rings, The Rise of the Witch-king\lotrbfme2ep1.exe" -mod (TTT target extention)

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#16 man_of_gondor

man_of_gondor
  • Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:39 AM

I am sorry man, i think made a mistake. you put youre TTT folder in the C:\Users\yourename\AppData\Roaming\My Battle for Middle-earth™ II Files. After that you you go to youre BFME2 shortcut and copy and past it. Now you have 2 shortcuts. Right-click on youre new one and press properties. Now you should change the target path because you must let it run youre mod. You just put this after the line: -mod TTT
If you installed the game in the default path it should look like this:
"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Battle for Middle-earth ™ II\lotrbfme2.exe" -mod TTT

Now it should work

#17 Titan Cronus

Titan Cronus

Do unto Others...

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:55 AM

Cheers Guys. I made it work by puttitg it in "C:\", then changed the target to "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Lord of the Rings, The Rise of the Witch-king\lotrbfme2ep1.exe" -mod "C\TTT".
Still can't get Damrod to work though. I've looked at over half a dozen tutorials now and they all say pretty much same, so I know what to do now but still no joy. Im either doing something wrong or theres a discrepancy in fis files or something like that. Should I make a new thread about it? Maybe ask people for help?

Edited by Titan Cronus, 03 March 2010 - 12:54 PM.

#18 Titan Cronus

Titan Cronus

Do unto Others...

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:55 AM

Right, I must be doing something wrong!
I've copied the instructions of several tutorials now and Im still getting nothing.

I've exporte the ini file,
I've edited and saved the files the tutorials said to (not 100% sure I put the code in at the right place though),
I've put my new extracted and edited ini (named TTT) in "C:\" and added -mod "C\TTT" to the target (which seems to be working as game still loads)
Then I load up the game from my new shortcut and.... nothing.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

Edited by Titan Cronus, 03 March 2010 - 12:56 PM.

#19 Titan Cronus

Titan Cronus

Do unto Others...

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:26 PM

Ok, I decided to stick with one tutorial untill I have it working.

The one im doing is "http://www.the3rdage...em-90#comments" (give Boromir Blade Master). I have already tried this a few times now but thought it should be an easy one to get working. After failing several more times, I thought that I'd just try editing somthing minor, like at what level Boromir gets Horn of Gondor at.

That should be just one file to edit, right? experiencelevels. I did that and.... nothing. So heres my conclusion, My mod/edit isn't actually loading or possibaly theres more to it that just editing experiencelevels. Can anyone please confirm (or dispute) this for me please.

#20 Titan Cronus

Titan Cronus

Do unto Others...

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:50 PM

Back again lol. Right, since my last post, I put the TTT folder in the Exact place (or to the equivelant destination on my com) where MoG said to and all looked good untill at the last moment of loading up when it shits me out. No error mesage or anything, only a DUMP file. So I tried swapping my eddited TTT file for an exact coppy of the ini file (extracted but not edited) and it still shat me out. So, why isn't it loading? Even with no editing?

Edited by Titan Cronus, 03 March 2010 - 02:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users