Command & Conquer 4 Released

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Grumble Grumble.

• Division Leaders
  • 2,947 posts
  • Projects:The Third War, Ares, misc side projects.
  •  Strategist and Modder
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Division Leader
  • Association

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:46 AM

Greetings, Guild-visiting-people,

Posted Image

Unless you live on some far-flung corner of the Kuiper Belt, you'll probably have noticed that Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight was released recently, and is now available across America and Europe.

This game marks the conclusion to the Tiberian saga, bringing with it a rather large chunk of radical changes to the C&C gameplay dynamic including:
  • What I can best describe as Real Time Tactics gameplay (à la World in Conflict et al)
  • Class-based factions - play as an Offensive, Defensive or Support faction, each with unique tech trees.
  • Complete redesigning of the game's economy system.
(though again, you'd have to live somewhere in the Oort Cloud to not know of these by now *)

Players can assume control of either GDI or Nod, and play out the closing chapters of the Tiberian series - witnessing the final conclusion from the point of view of either side. What is Kane's fate? Will the Earth recover after being ravaged by Tiberium? Go play the game to find out.

There apparently will be a Mod SDK released at some point "after release" for C&C4. Though what "after release" means in the real world when translated from EA market-babble is highly debatable. When (if?) it does come out, our main site is capable of storing tutorials and downloads etc. marked for C&C4. Additionally, we will open a set of editing forums here for C&C4 whenever (if ever) the Mod SDK comes out.

Until then, go find out what on Earth's happened to the story. :mellow:

Nighthawk.
C&C Guild Division Leader.

*: Opinions on these changes are slightly charged throughout the community. Please remain calm.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Job Openings with the Guild: Division Staff, News Posters.
Job Openings with Ares: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.

PM if interested.

#2 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:18 AM

I've ordered it on Sunday, should arrive tommorrow. Not being a hardcore C&C fan, I think I'll like it (liked the beta, after all).
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#3 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:20 AM

Guess who will not buy this rape-of-the-series-with-C&C-title-slapped-on-it-DRM-infected-rented-license-that-I-can-play-until-EA-shuts-down-its-servers? Me.

Somebody should buy the rights to C&C in a few years after the name has become extremely reduced in worth and actually make a true C&C game again.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#4 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:27 AM

I think it'd be much better if they just left the title alone.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 Casojin

Casojin

Democracy not Dictatorship

• Project Team
  • 2,121 posts
  •  Thinker

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:53 AM

From what I've seen in trailer, it's as if EA is pulling several good points of other great games and messing them up with C&C name.

I've read a lot of review indicating terrible storyline and that ruins my need to buy this game. I have little intention of playing newer C&C online because the resource it consumes and the lack of time in my real life. I was hoping for a great storyline with great farewell for Kane. If C&C4 cannot give me that then it is worthless. Furthermore, the need to connect to server when playing offline is one of the worst thing in this game. It may be fun to play online with team-work. However, playing online is not a goal for someone who has waited for the Conclusion of Tiberium saga for 15 years. This is so sad.
CASOJIN

Posted Image

#6 Soul

Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 3,781 posts
  • Projects:Sigma Invasion
  •  This person isn't important

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:50 PM

You can find the ending for GDI and NOD on YouTube, but they're basically the same and the ending itself is lackluster and is a disrespectful ending to the Tiberian Saga :/.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Soul 2.4

Background process. Has something to do with some activity going on somewhere. Sorting junkmail, I think. No value or interest. Doesn't do much except hog resource.

#7 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  • Projects:Survive Med School
  •  Your Doc
  • Job:Hosting Admin

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:00 PM

Resuming: EA f**ked up with everything.

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#8 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:59 AM

I've finally installed the game and played a few campaign missions.

The game itself is alright. The maps are nice, at least where they're not mostly empty. The crawlers are cool, especially the GDI walking one. Having to choose a class and being limited by command points bring some extra depth as opposed to before where you could just build all buildings and make a bigass army (against AI). The cutscenes are a bit lame though. The early missions are also rather short, but they're getting longer now. I also wish I had somebody to co-op them with.

While I like that you don't have to put in the disc to play, I'm not too fond of the DRM. Twice already I've had random disconnects while playing, causing the campaign progress not to be saved.

All in all, mixed feelings. I can see why hardcore C&C fans don't like it, because it only barely fits in the franchise. Personally I don't really have a problem with that though. At least it wasn't that expensive, so its value is ok.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#9 Casojin

Casojin

Democracy not Dictatorship

• Project Team
  • 2,121 posts
  •  Thinker

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:32 AM

I've watched entire movies in C&C4 on youtube. I would say that EA has really strange idea. It is as if switching place between GDI and Nod. From an honorable faction, GDI becomes mastery of evil (killing civilians, coup, assassination, vengeance). While Nod (Kane faction not Gideon) is more like a savior who plans to save Earth from Tiberium-infestation. Kane seems no longer evil in C&C4.

However, costumes and equipments are terrible. Soldiers from Tiberian Sun dress and equip in much more hi-tech fashion than in C&C3 or C&C4. Especially the ending scene, EA artists seem to be lacked of imagination (or EA don't care about the saga enough to spend money in order to create a worthwhile scene for the movie). Tiberian Sun or even C&C3 are much better than this.

Personally I don't mind the main concept of the storyline but I wish it to be more complex and revealing than this (at least we should know more about Kane and Tiberium or the Scrin).
CASOJIN

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users