#1 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

Stories from the Tapestries of Vairë

The topic title/subtitle is just some pun on my username:

from The Silmarillion: Valaquenta p. 28)

Námo the elder [of the Fëanturi, masters of spirits] dwells in Mandos, which is westward in Valinor. He is the keeper of the Houses of the Dead, and the summoner of the the spirits of the slain. He forgets nothing; and he knows all things that shall be, save those that lie still in the freedom of Ilúvatar. He is the Doomsman of the Valar; but he pronounces his dooms and his judgements only at the bidding of Manvë. Vairë the Weaver is his spouse, who weaves all things that have ever been in Time into her storied webs, and the Halls of Mandos that ever widen as the ages pass are clothed with them.

Well, I'm only an old forester, and my wife does not weave tapestries, but only baskets made of willow ... still, after reading the works of Tolkien for more than forty years, in the tapestries of my mind there might be a few stories, that are worth telling; maybe the stories will get a twist here and there, for better or for worse ... I just hope you'll enjoy reading them as much as I do telling them.

General Introduction:

The mythological world of Tolkien, his "Legendarium" as he called it himself, did evolve over a period of more than half a century, and underwent some substantial transformation along with the increase in volume and complexity. Many of the stories were altered several times, either because the narrative was changed, or the story was left only partly finished ... later to be told anew in some other way; in addition Tolkien has written many essays and letters, and the total mass of published material now amounts to some eight to ten thousand pages.

It is inevitable, that there in such a vast and complex mythological creation will be many ambiguities, and even contradictions ... and that's just the beauty of it, leaving room for interpretations ... sometimes even room for extrapolations, without having to add content that does not originate in Tolkien's own writings.

Having read Tolkien for many years now, I don't really 'read' the books that much anymore ... but I like to explore some of those areas that are not very well described in his works ... themes that often extends beyond what is normally regarded as 'canon' lore (though I really don't like that expression - Tolkien's work are too complex for such simplification).

The way I research the lore can be time-consuming, and I often have to trail paths that end up blind - so decoding Tolkien's lore can sometimes be a bit tedious. What's fun is finding out how seemingly disconnected lore are interrelated, connecting them to some well known lore, and then put it all together in ways that might have been intended, but never clearly revealed.

It is essential for me, that such lore, that I may find in the grey zone between 'canon' and 'non-canon', are:

• coherent in itself,
    and
  • in accordance with Tolkien's lore in general
For that I need at least two separate and different pieces of lore pointing to the same conclusion, and none that contradicts this. In the attempt to achieve this I usually start from the indexes, in all the books, and from there research all entries on a particular subject (i.e. small pieces of lore, scattered throughout thousands of pages), often including a fair amount of linguistic stuff.

To solve eventual ambiguities or contradictions, I also have to do some evaluation of those pieces of lore, before I can put it all together in a way, that are coherent and not in contradiction with other parts of the lore, but on the contrary enhances this in a new and unexpected way. - Given the vast production of Tolkien, there really are some jewels yet to be found, although one has to dig deep to find them.

DISCLAIMER:
Due to the complexity of Tolkien's writings, and the nature of the interpretations that I attempt to do, it is inevitable that there will be errors, omissions and dubious interpretations in my writings ... so any critique, comments, additional information or alternative interpretations will be most welcome.
It would be appreciated, if direct quotes or references are stated in such cases. Thanks

Edited by Námo, 28 January 2011 - 06:57 PM.
restoring quote-tags after forum upgrade

... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:41 AM

Annals of Lost Realms

This index will contain links to writings related to the Ages preceding the Third Age, i.e. lore derived from:

• The Annals of Aman ... mainly the history of the Elves in the Ages preceding the First Age.
  • The Annals of Beleriand ... mainly the history of the Elves in the First Age.
  • Akallabêth [the Downfall of Nûmenor] ... mainly the history of the Dunedain, Second Age.
Relevance for modding: Lore related primarily to the Elven faction(s) ... [i.e. /background info, /+history of the Dunedain] .

links to topics/posts:

INDEX:

Edited by Námo, 15 April 2010 - 09:04 AM.

#3 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts

Peoples of Middle-earth

This index will contain links to writings dedicated to all the good and courageous peoples of Middle-earth, fighting the Evil Powers in the War of the Ring.

• The free Peoples of Middle-earth, at the time of the War of the Ring.
  • Historical info on different Realms of Elves, Dwarves and Men, and the migrations of these races; including some background info on some of those peoples who could not resist the Shadow.
Relevance for modding: Lore related to "good" factions (Third Age).

links to topics/posts:

INDEX:

Edited by Námo, 15 April 2010 - 10:14 AM.

#4 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts

Evil Realms of Middle-earth

This index will contain links to writings related to the Evil Realms of the Third Age (primarily at the time of the War of the Ring).

• The Evil Realms under Sauron's dominion.
  • Isengard and the treason of Saruman.
  • The Wilderness of Middle-earth.
Relevance for modding: Lore related to "evil" factions (Third Age).

links to topics/posts:

INDEX:

Edited by Námo, 15 April 2010 - 10:14 AM.

#5 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:42 AM

Myths transformed

This index will contain links to writings related to the 'Metaphysical' aspects of Tolkien's works, like ...

• The Evil of Morgoth, and Sauron's Powers (exploiting this evil).
  • The Ring(s) of Power, and other magical artifacts.
  • The Istari (Wizards) of the Third Age ... and Ents! (and Eagles, and ...)
  • Corrupted and Evil Beings ... Dragons, Wraiths ... and other fell beasts.
Relevance for modding: Lore not related to specific peoples (or factions).

links to topics/posts:

INDEX:

Edited by Námo, 15 April 2010 - 09:44 AM.

#6 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:42 AM

Topography of Arda

This index will contain links to writings related to Topography and Cartography:

• General info on cartographical issues (macro-scale maps).
  • Lore on specific regions and locations in Middle-earth.
Relevance for modding: Lore related to places in Middle-earth (info related to mapping).

links to topics/posts:

INDEX:

Edited by Námo, 15 April 2010 - 08:16 AM.

#7 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:43 AM

Languages of Middle-earth

This index will contain links to writings related to Tolkien's languages:

• Languages of Middle-earth in the Third Age: Sindarin (Elves), Khuzdûl (Dwarves), Adûnaic and related languages (Men) & Black Speech (Orcs).
  • Examples of naming units and heroes without making 'proper names', but 'titles' based on above languages.
Relevance for modding: Info and guidelines on using names based on Tolkien's languages.

links to topics/posts:

INDEX:

Edited by Námo, 15 April 2010 - 09:31 AM.

#8 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:16 AM

NOTE May 10, 2010:

Some people might wonder, why I start posting like five post in a row as currently in topic "Dwarven Strongholds", without much content.

Well, I want to keep the primary lore on these packed together, for easier reading when finished ... the content will come dripping slowly, as I'll be rather busy with real life in the coming months ... if I don't do it this way, I'll probably never get around to researching and writing that lore.
It's that simple, so I hope you'll have me excused on being a little slow.

I do have some (rather long) post that I've started on like a year ago, but never posted because the discussion had moved on in the topic where I wanted to post ... those will eventually be finished and posted in this forum.

I also did some posts in some of the protected forums; these writings will be expanded and posted here in the lore forum.

Otherwise, the new forum only needs only one more pinned topic ... for references: links (commented), various other references, and most of all a collection of topographic maps ... the last one because it's rather cumbersome to address topographic issues only in writing.

Some hints on what I hope to write in the spring/sommer(/autumn?):

Dwarves:

• Finishing the "Mazarbul Gamil-gathol Khuzdul" (Records of the Dwarves' Old Strongholds) /existing topic.
  • Erebor/Dale and the alliances between the Dwarves and the Northmen.
  • Some info on Dwarven Heroes (end T.A.), writings scattered in the SEE forums, with additional info on Durin the Deathless.
  • Some comments on "Azagh-Aglâb Khuzdul" (Military Vocabulary of the Dwarves), Khuzdul names for TDH's Dwarven units.
Rohan:
  • Military organization of the Rohirrim
  • The Battles of Rohan (extended timetable and movement of various forces), mostly of interest for the BfMe1 campaign.
Mordor:
  • Various info on Nazgûl, especially different ways of 'naming' those /existing topic.
  • Additional names for Orc-heroes, from HoMe (about a dirty dozen of mean Orcs, dismissed or deserted from Mordor).
Rhûn and Harad:
  • Lore on the Easterlings (from the SEE Staff forum, expanded)
  • Lore on Khand and the Black Númenoreans (from the SEE Staff forum and the Wolf Den, expanded)
  • Proposals for decent names (titles in Adûnaic) for Heroes from these realms.
Various topographic info:
  • Elostirion (White Towers/Tower Hills)
  • Caras Caladhon (Lothlórien)
  • Helms Deep and the Hornburg, Edoras, and the Fords of Isen.
Please don't expect those before they are actually written and posted. :thumbsdownsmiley:

Edited by Námo, 10 May 2010 - 09:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users