#1 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:30 PM

I'll admit that I posted this on a couple different forums and that was probably a mistake.

I've started looking at laptops as I will need one for college next year.

=== Intel i3 350M vs. i5 430M and 520M ===

Looking at the Intel website and the given comparing statistics, it appears that the only difference between the i3 and the i5 is the lack of "Turbo Boost"...

T Junction (whatever that is) is lower for the i3 as well. Graphics dynamics numbers are a bit lower too.

As I won't be doing intensive gaming at college, do I need higher graphics dynamics? Is a lower T Junction good?

Why should I pay $150 for the upgrade from the i3 to the i5 520m if the only thing I seem to be losing is Turbo Boost and those other two things I mentioned? Will those two really make a huge difference?

... help. Please and thank you

===

I figure that getting the i3 will save me the $150 and possible give me better battery life? It doesn't seem like I'd be losing a ton of computing power...

Since Revorians are so wonderful and nice, I figure I'd just go ahead and ask for straight up laptop recommendations. Budget is ~2300 USD; I'd prefer to use that 2300 to its maximum potential (3 or 4 yr warantee, CompuTrace, 6 or 8GB RAM, 500+ GB HD, etc.)

The laptop I've been eyeing is the HP dv6t with the following goodies:
- Windows 7 Home Premium
- Intel i5 430M (debatable, see above question)
- 8GB DDR3 Ram
- 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
- Nvidia GeForce GT320M
- Wireless N Card
- High capacity 6 cell battery.
- CompuTrace
- 4 Year "Care Pack" with house call & Accidental Damage protection.

Will this last me all four years of Uni? And I'm assuming I should wait to buy until almost the last second?

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

#2 Imagine

Imagine
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:32 PM

If I was you take the i5 its way more future proof. My E2140 clocked at 3.25Ghz will out run the i3 your looking at and put up a fight against the i5. Take the i5 especially if in college you need to run applications like MS Word, any graphics designing or even iTunes :p . I think between the i3 and i5 the i3 will have a lower L2 cache and slower FSB or whatever intel choose to call it these days. Overall looks like a good build, that GT320M will have decent power to do some gaming like MW2 on medium and such, OR... get this http://www.agearnote...usg51jx-3d.html $1595 for a Core i7.... 6GB DDR3 1066 RAM..... Nvidia GT360M... plus it has nvidia 3D vision, a good webcam and wi-fi N. Not sure if it is what you need but still awesome.
They say the future is only as predictable as the past..... Probably because they're the same thing.

#3 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:21 PM

I would probably snag the 520M just because it has some slightly better numbers and will last you until well after college before it's time to consider a new laptop. However, being that this is a laptop (an HP at that), I would seriously consider a cooling pad or a different model of laptop. HP laptops have a nasty habit of frying the motherboard within 12 to 18 months of first using it due to a heatsink problem. Asus, hands down, makes the absolute best laptops on the market.

The graphics dynamics won't make much of a difference because they're not that far apart, and the 320M isn't a bad mobile GPU. It's still integrated though, which isn't so much of a big deal unless you do any heavy gaming or GPU intensive applications, which you've even said you won't be doing. However, for some casual gaming, it will work fine.

The TJunction is basically a protection function built in whereby the thing shuts down.
The TCase is similar in design, but it doesn't shut the thing down; it throttles the CPU instead.
Turbo Boost is a good thing as well. If you're not doing anything processor intensive, it won't use the maximum power all the time and it dynamically adjusts how much you need based on your current operations.

You can also safely ignore Imagine. He has no clue apparently.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#4 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

If you can find me an Asus with very similar specs (I like the high RAM and the 500 7200 HD, also needs a wireless N.), I'd be more than happy to take a look at it :p

I've heard that if I'm getting an HP I should grab a cooling pad too.

Sounds like the 520 is the way to go then. Alright.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

#5 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:09 PM

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834220710
A lot cheaper. Core i5 430M, ATI Mobility HD5470, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD @ 7200RPM. Half the RAM, but being that most of your functions won't be that intensive, the drop in RAM will hardly be noticeable. If you need that much RAM that badly, consider just upgrading later on since it does support up to the 8GB you want. This is a much more solid purchase than any HP.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834114806
You could get that too. It's a beast... much more so than that HP. :p

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#6 Imagine

Imagine
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:35 PM

You can also safely ignore Imagine. He has no clue apparently.

Crap. Just realized how bad my answer failed didn't even answer the question.

@Beowulf: your right about the T-Junction and T-Case. I'm more used to desktops myself.
They say the future is only as predictable as the past..... Probably because they're the same thing.

#7 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:59 AM

Question, have you tried carrying a 17" laptop around with you every day and do you need the extra screen estate for jotting lecture notes? And what the hell are you planning on needing 8GB of RAM for? I only have 3 and still get by running dreamweaver photoshop illustrator outlook media playback several browsers and a VM without a hitch.
Get an i5 or i7, and if cost is a concern don't pay extra for a sore back or RAM you won't use.
And the difference with the graphics is going to equate to battery life, because if its not needed by an application the graphics card will be off. Of course, Win7 likes to use your idle GPU cycles to make everything else faster, but what the hey.

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#8 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:03 AM

<16" , <7 lbs. Now... as that might be heavier than I think, and it sounds like 8GB RAM is serious overkill, here's a configuration I just whipped up.

===

dv4i

5.2 lbs

i5 520 M

6GB RAM

500GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive

Integrated Intel Graphics (the integrated graphics made me step the RAM up from 4GB. Is the extra 2GB still overkill, even though the GPU will be stealing RAM? How much RAM would it be using?)

14.1" Display (How small is this? I'm currently using something like 17 or 18" so... will the 14.1 be really cramped?)

Wireless N

High Capacity 6 Cell

4 Year "care pack" and accidental damage protection plan.

4 years of computrace.

Edited by Copaman, 19 April 2010 - 01:06 AM.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

#9 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:29 PM

I cannot get you away from those shitty HPs, can I? There is nothing good about an HP laptop. I've had better luck with the Dell I got issued while I was in school, and it's not even that impressive! Snag an Asus, upgrade the RAM yourself and be happy. You'll spend less, have a higher quality product and it will last just as long.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#10 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

I cannot get you away from those shitty HPs, can I? There is nothing good about an HP laptop. I've had better luck with the Dell I got issued while I was in school, and it's not even that impressive! Snag an Asus, upgrade the RAM yourself and be happy. You'll spend less, have a higher quality product and it will last just as long.

I don't know how to upgrade RAM myself.

I can't really find an overwhelming amount of negative reviews about HPs - just a few people that seem to have gotten a lemon. But maybe I'm not looking hard enough? Why do you not like HPs specifically?

I like the HP because I can customize it to what I want. The Asus cannot. They do not have a 15-16 inch laptop with an i5. They do not offer the 4 years of CompuTrace right off the bat or Accidental Damage protection that the HP does - both of which will be beneficial to me as a college student.

Seriously. I'm not hell bent on getting an HP. It just seems that at the moment they have what I want and I can't find that elsewhere. If you can find something with what I'm looking for, I'm more than willing to look at it seriously.

I found this Asus. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834220696 . If its battery life will be okay in school (2.25 hrs max, a reviewer says), I might go for it maybe.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

#11 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:07 PM

I don't know how to upgrade RAM myself.

It's incredibly easy. It's just a few screws, popping the modules out and sticking the new ones in. It takes no more than five minutes if you're experienced and no more than ten to fifteen if you need a guide.

I can't really find an overwhelming amount of negative reviews about HPs - just a few people that seem to have gotten a lemon. But maybe I'm not looking hard enough? Why do you not like HPs specifically?

I've had horrible experiences with HP computers, desktop and laptops both. My friend got an HP laptop from his dad, but it didn't work. The cause? Fried motherboard due to faulty heatsinks. This is still a recurring problem with HP laptop models. It's a waste to buy a top dollar laptop, and have it die on you a year later. Their desktops and laptops are made with subpar bargain bin shit from the third world. It's not worth your hard earned cash to blow it on an inferior product. Believe me when I say HPs are inferior. They tend to degrade a lot faster than most other prebuilt models as well. Not as bad as some (read: Gateway, eMachines) but it's pretty shitty.

I like the HP because I can customize it to what I want. The Asus cannot. They do not have a 15-16 inch laptop with an i5. They do not offer the 4 years of CompuTrace right off the bat or Accidental Damage protection that the HP does - both of which will be beneficial to me as a college student.

Meh? So? You'll have a better performing laptop for less money. Considering you could potentially save upwards of $1200 on the purchase, that's also something to consider. Besides, you don't need a gigantic screen to be that useful. My laptop isn't even that impressive and it would kick school's ass and have some fight leftover to play a game of Generals or chat on Skype.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834220710
I found that... again. And it has everything you would need and most of what you want. Good processor, big screen, good battery (I would buy a second one just in case), plenty of RAM, a good mobile GPU, 7200RPM hard drive, Accidental Damage warranty... I mean... what's not to like for $950?

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#12 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:27 AM

It's incredibly easy. It's just a few screws, popping the modules out and sticking the new ones in. It takes no more than five minutes if you're experienced and no more than ten to fifteen if you need a guide.

Fair enough, maybe I'll give it a try. See the above Asus I posted. Looks like it's expandable to 8GB so...

I've had horrible experiences with HP computers, desktop and laptops both. My friend got an HP laptop from his dad, but it didn't work. The cause? Fried motherboard due to faulty heatsinks. This is still a recurring problem with HP laptop models. It's a waste to buy a top dollar laptop, and have it die on you a year later. Their desktops and laptops are made with subpar bargain bin shit from the third world. It's not worth your hard earned cash to blow it on an inferior product. Believe me when I say HPs are inferior. They tend to degrade a lot faster than most other prebuilt models as well. Not as bad as some (read: Gateway, eMachines) but it's pretty shitty.

Okay. Given that you have personal experience... the Asus looks a bit better.

Meh? So? You'll have a better performing laptop for less money. Considering you could potentially save upwards of $1200 on the purchase, that's also something to consider. Besides, you don't need a gigantic screen to be that useful. My laptop isn't even that impressive and it would kick school's ass and have some fight leftover to play a game of Generals or chat on Skype.

:p Look at the laptop I posted. 16". Laptop you posted = 17.x" 16"<17". Just sayin' :p

My biggest concern is it lasting me 4 years of school. And I don't just mean hardware components. I mean this thing is going to be with me every single day for four years. Odds are I will possibly drop it at some point. I will not be covered by an Asus warranty past my Freshman year.

So long as I get a good carrying case, I should be okay, right?

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

#13 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:54 AM

I'm using a HP now, only time I've ever had a problem with it was a loose display connector. Device was still usable, but HP sent a courier to pick it up and the next day it came back with an entirely new lid.
A friend of mine has a similarly aged ASUS, and he's had to have it replaced no less than three times, and currently the display only operates about 10% brightness. He used to swear by them too, but at the end of the day you can get lemons whatever the make, its more important you get an extended warranty than end up with a machine you won't enjoy as much.

And I'd be a little dubious about a 14" with no GFX, if you want it to last the duration of your course get a DV5 instead. 15.4" means no compromise on the keyboard and 7 will use the extra clocks from the GPU even if you don't plan on gaming on it. I live solely off my laptop for work and study and only reason I'd consider going larger is the DV6 & 7's have two drive bays. And yes, 4GB would be an ideal.

Or just get a MacBook, when the software lags behind so many years it would definitely last your degree and they "never" die (except another friends, which needed replacing twice in two weeks, and only then because they took so long to return it) :p

#14 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:23 AM

Fair enough, maybe I'll give it a try. See the above Asus I posted. Looks like it's expandable to 8GB so...

Exactly. Just about every Asus can be expanded to 8GB so it's a waste to get one that comes with 8 since you can upgrade to that for a lot less. Why spend 1700 or 1800 when you can spend 1150 for nearly identical specs?

Okay. Given that you have personal experience... the Asus looks a bit better.

Everyone I know with an Asus laptop has had an great experience. Reviews across the web are almost always in favor of Asus. In fact, I use their motherboards quite a lot and even their video cards for desktops. All around, Asus produces plenty of reliable parts.

:p Look at the laptop I posted. 16". Laptop you posted = 17.x" 16"<17". Just sayin' :p

You said you wanted a bigger screen, so I tried to at least find a good with the desired gigantic display. I figured you would have appreciated the larger screen since you seem so gung ho about it. :p

My biggest concern is it lasting me 4 years of school. And I don't just mean hardware components. I mean this thing is going to be with me every single day for four years. Odds are I will possibly drop it at some point. I will not be covered by an Asus warranty past my Freshman year.

So long as I get a good carrying case, I should be okay, right?

The best advice is not dropping the damn thing, but if you do, it should be fine most of the time. I've dropped my laptop at least five times when it was out of the bag and it's still chuggin' along just fine after two years. As long as you don't drop it down a flight of stairs, you should be fine. But yes, a padded case will suffice really well.

but at the end of the day you can get lemons whatever the make, its more important you get an extended warranty than end up with a machine you won't enjoy as much.

This is true for any brand, but I've had a lot more issues with HPs than most others. At the very least, other laptop brands don't come with the rolling risk of your motherboard dying because of faulty heatsinks that HP does not acknowledge.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#15 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:43 AM

Yea, think my last HP fried itself, but not had an issue with this baby (09 DV5, 2.66 Duo & GT9600M), and its under warranty for longer than I intend to keep it.

And dropping? HA! Worst I've done is tripped the cord and thrown it across the room from my desk to the bottom edge of a bookshelf. Gave the screen that extra 15 degrees of incline I wished it had anyway ;) Seems to take more damage from my bag than the times its met concrete. Though I might burn out the orange drive-being-isolated-cos-you'd-be-breaking-it-right-now-if-it-were-spinning LED!

#16 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:12 PM

I'll add my positive review for my Asus to the thread ;). It's been going strong for 2 years now and only seems to be a bit louder. It's a 15.3", and is kinda heavy (specs: C2D T9400@2.53, 4GB RAM, 9700M, running Vista x64), so I've been considering going back to a 14", but I'm not sure if I could tolerate the numpad-less keyboard ;). May get a 17" and some kinda netbook in the future. My old Acer actually technically still works (aside from the DVD burner not burning things anymore), but from what I hear, a 5 year lifetime with them is the exception rather than the rule.

Edited by Nertea, 23 April 2010 - 07:14 PM.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#17 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:49 PM

So HP went and got rid of the option to have the dedicated graphics card on the DV6t unless I step up to the i7 version...

As a result, I shopped around.

Found the Lenovo IdeaPad y560 0646BU as a comparable laptop with better specs (8GB of Ram as opposed to 6) for a cheaper price. With Office and LoJack and stuff, it comes to roughly the same price, but... currently Lenovo is running a promo for Mother's Day that puts the laptop at just under 1700. I'd be stepping down to a 3 year warranty but my Uni has full support for Lenovos.

Opinion on Lenovos? Everything that I've seen has held Lenovo in high regard. And should I buy the laptop now, or wait until closer to move in day? I'd be losing that promo pricing though...

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

#18 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:12 AM

A Lenovo is still a waste compared to an Asus. I've never had experience with Lenovos but they don't seem to have anything really special though. At the very least, they don't have the stupid heatsink problem that HPs do. But you need to consider, is that Office and LoJack a trial or the whole thing? If it's a trial, you're pissing away money for absolutely no good reason.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#19 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:34 AM

A Lenovo will make your heart cry every time you look at it. Only consider buying one if you are planning on stocking a big company whose entire assets bear made in china stickers. Especially don't buy if its because that models being marketed towards old women. I don't want to be sexist or ageist but that's not the demographic I'd go to for tech advice.
Yes, it will work, and yes it might have ok hardware. But its no more reliable than anything else (I personally know more people who've had Lenovo's die on them than HP's and ASUS's combined) and certainly more likely to bore you to death when you look at it, even before you've opened up some course material with it.

#20 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 05:42 PM

A Lenovo is still a waste compared to an Asus. I've never had experience with Lenovos but they don't seem to have anything really special though. At the very least, they don't have the stupid heatsink problem that HPs do. But you need to consider, is that Office and LoJack a trial or the whole thing? If it's a trial, you're pissing away money for absolutely no good reason.

Whole thing. I had to add it to the shopping cart separate of the laptop.

Especially don't buy if its because that models being marketed towards old women. I don't want to be sexist or ageist but that's not the demographic I'd go to for tech advice.

Who markets 8GB Ram, an i7 processor, and dedicated graphics to old women? Not like they'll use it for anything... it's just a deal that's being offered is all. A fairly good deal if you ask me.

certainly more likely to bore you to death when you look at it, even before you've opened up some course material with it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I dunno. Doesn't look too terribly boring (looks like a laptop), and I like it about as much as the HP Pavilion bubbles...

I think you're thinking of the ThinkPad series, the business laptops, which are awfully boring.

Edited by Copaman, 02 May 2010 - 05:43 PM.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users