map.ini Help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PNGmangi

PNGmangi
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:58 AM

Hey. I am new to this map.ini thing but from what I have read it can do stuff that I want it to like adding new powers to heroes, changing the plaintar powers and stuff like that. I read the tutorial but I am still so lost. Can someone please help? I have the program final BIG but I dont know how to use it. Even if you could point me to some tutorials would be great. Thanks

PNGmangi

#2 _Haldir_

_Haldir_

Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds, The Elven Alliance: Community Edition
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:45 AM

Welcome to T3A :p

Map.ini's only work for a single map. Usually, for one that you've made yourself using Worldbuilder. The tutorial (i'm guessing you mean this one) should explain how to make a map.ini using a program like notepad. Once you have a map.ini file, you can add any code into the file, to change things like heroes, powers etc..

FinalBig is quite easy to use, just open it, and then open any .big file that you can find in the "The Battle for Middle-earth ™" folder. INI.big contains all the code for the game (which is probably what you want to look at for your map.ini :p). You can view any of the game's code in FinalBig, and use it to copy, paste or extract the ini files. Have another look at that map.ini tutorial for more detail on how to go about editing the code for a map.ini :p

If you want to change the game for more than just one map, you'll have to mod the game, which involves creating an entirely new .big file for your mod.

Here's a tutorial i wrote which includes a little bit on map.ini's
Have a look at the Coding Articles Section for more on code.

If you still have problems, ask in the BFME1 forums, or the Worldbuilder forums :p

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 PNGmangi

PNGmangi
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:55 PM

Thanks for that. I have the BFME INI file on my computer now and on the tutorial that you showed me and your tutorial and I have tried but I can't understand how to edit things. The code is just too confusing. Is there a tutorial for toal noobs? Haha.

#4 Spartan184

Spartan184

:)

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts
  • Projects:Random Modding Projects
  •  Coder, Map.ini Coder, Mapper, and Beta Tester

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:46 AM

Well all modders start out as total noobs, just some learn faster than others, it just takes time :D Just keep trying, it will get really easy once you learn it.
But here I once wrote this little tut I guess for this guy on how to add new powers. Sorry If you can't understand it but I'm not very good at writing tutorials.

Edited by Spartan184, 16 April 2010 - 12:48 AM.

safsignature.png

#5 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:09 AM

Haldir made a great tutorial, I'm very impressed.

#6 PNGmangi

PNGmangi
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:47 AM

Ok. So I understand how INI’s work now by copying them into the maps file and stuff. How do you edit the heroes stats like Faramir for example. Can you please show me how you would make his arrows damage more and increase his armour? I can find his INI file but I don’t know where anything is to edit. That would be a huge help. Thanks.

#7 Puzzler33

Puzzler33
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

weapon.ini and armor.ini and in the main ini file. Those are the things you need to change his armour/damage, not his object ini file.
Posted Image

#8 PNGmangi

PNGmangi
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:49 AM

Ok. So if i wanted to make Aragorn have more armour, is this all I have to do:

Copy this:

Armor AragornHeroArmor
Armor = DEFAULT 75% ;this sets the level for all nonspecified damage types
Armor = PIERCE 50% ;archer damage
Armor = CRUSH 40% ;20% ;cavalry damage
Armor = SLASH 75% ;soldier damage
Armor = URUK 50% ;Uruk damage
Armor = HERO 100% ;Hero damage
Armor = HERO_RANGED 100% ;Hero bow damage
Armor = FLAME 30% ;fire damage
Armor = MAGIC 100% ;
Armor = SIEGE 100%
End

Into a map.ini file in a map that I want him to have better armour in. Then do this for example (huge exaggeration but just so I understand properly):

Armor AragornHeroArmor
Armor = DEFAULT 175% ;this sets the level for all nonspecified damage types
Armor = PIERCE 150% ;archer damage
Armor = CRUSH 140% ;20% ;cavalry damage
Armor = SLASH 175% ;soldier damage
Armor = URUK 150% ;Uruk damage
Armor = HERO 200% ;Hero damage
Armor = HERO_RANGED 200% ;Hero bow damage
Armor = FLAME 80% ;fire damage
Armor = MAGIC 200% ;
Armor = SIEGE 200%
End

Is this how you would do armour?

#9 Puzzler33

Puzzler33
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:12 PM

That should work, though it's possible that you need to put something like 'Object GondorAragorn' in front of that or perhaps a ReplaceModule (and then the ModuleTag_ bit in). Don't worry too much this is just me covering my tracks if it doesn't work.

Just try playing your map in single player and if the game crashes when you try to load then you aren't quite there - the error message usually helps to ID whatever the problem is.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users