Photo

What makes up a sentient being?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:26 AM

So if there are going to be characters running around creating mischief than I need to define what makes up a player character.

Strength
Agility or Dexterity
Endurance or Health
Intelligence
Intuition
Charisma

I'm going to use a range from 1-10 to measure these things. Keeping it simple...

Now I've further broken this down into different ranges based on 5 catagories.
Alpha
Beta
Gamma
Delta
Epsilon

here's how it works:
the human is the set standard they will be Gamma in every attribute mentioned above.

Catagory/Die Type/Range
Alpha (1d6) 1-6
Beta (1d8) 1-8
Gamma (1d8+1) 2-9
Delta (1d8+2) 3-10
Epsilon (1d6+4) 5-10

So humans have a pretty fair range. Now it is possible for creatures to have above 10 or .5 in an ability, yes but they won't qualify as player characters.

So lets create a large dumb race:

Strength: Delta
Agility: Gamma
Endurance: Delta
Intelligence: Alpha
Intuition: Beta
Charisma: Gamma

So now we have a range of values based on this unique race. I will be needing info to add to the database for the many unique races that will be encountered.

I'm really just scratching the surface on the material I have but I have to start somewhere. So any comments would be a huge help.

#2 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:51 AM

So, wait, this is race stats? Are stats stationary or can you add stats as you level up or whatever?

I guess this whole alpha cappa stuff is whats throwing me off.

Using your example race does that mean that:

Strength: Delta
Agility: Gamma
Endurance: Delta
Intelligence: Alpha
Intuition: Beta
Charisma: Gamma

equals:

Strength: anywhere from 3 to 10
Agility: anywhere from 2 to 9
Endurance: 3 to 10
Intelligence: 1 - 6
Intuition: 1 - 8
Charisma: 2 - 9

And does that mean that a character of that race has stats that are randomly picked from that range
eg. (again of the above race example)

"Bob the alien"
S - 7
A - 4
E - 6
I - 3
I - 6
C - 8

or that they start at the minimum number and then level up the the max number?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:12 AM

No, it is exactly as you described in the beginning. It's a starting range. I can't imagine being able to increase your attributes except if they are physical. Perhaps weight lifting or dexterity excercises. One cannot increase their intelligence except by a scientific method, which will be in the game.

#4 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if I should limit player characters to humans and humanoids only. I was thinking that maybe being a race that is not genetically human/humanoid might throw the balance of the game.

Humanoids are really called subordinate humans. They are the genetic refugees of engineered humans scattered about The Cluster from the First and Second Rise of Humans. It's no different than how Star Trek aliens mostly look like humans with different face features and such.

While it is an insult to call a humanoid a "sub", it can be just as insulting to call them humanoids. This implies they are inferior to Terrans. While Terran humans did succeed in repopulating most of the cluster, they themselves are not original humans. Original humans were the Minervans.

See Time Lines and Time Periods thread for in depth information on the subject.

#5 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:53 AM

I've decided to allow only humans/humanoids as player characters. That simplifies things greatly. NPCs will be interesting companions but not as player characters. This allows the GM to control the importance of the NPC companions.

#6 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:59 AM

By humanoids though you mean ones that look exactly like humans(but with pointy ears or something) not the humanoid definition of 'two arms, two legs and a head'?

Cause i think its better to have it not just human-looking only. Just have them humanoid in shape, but not necessarily appearance.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image

#7 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:29 AM

Or are you thinking humanoid but maybe with six legs, or four arms, or a ring of eyes all around the head? And by non-humanoid, you are simply ruling out the possibility of giant roaming squid-monster aliens?
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#8 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:37 PM

By humanoids though you mean ones that look exactly like humans(but with pointy ears or something) not the humanoid definition of 'two arms, two legs and a head'?

Cause i think its better to have it not just human-looking only. Just have them humanoid in shape, but not necessarily appearance.

That would be called anthropomophic. In the form of a human. When I said humanoid, I meant containing human genes. That's the result of the previous rise of humans(Minervans and Martians) having genetically engineered humans to fit the environment they live in. In the history thread it mentions the Bulrathi killing all the original humans, but not viewing the humanoids as human, they let the humanoids live. The Bulrathi didn't realise they were humans as well.

Or are you thinking humanoid but maybe with six legs, or four arms, or a ring of eyes all around the head? And by non-humanoid, you are simply ruling out the possibility of giant roaming squid-monster aliens?

I realised if I limited the player characters to humanoids than it makes standard items like space suits and medicine fairly easy. NPCs can of course be intelligent sentient beings of any style but not player characters.

You guys do bring up a good point though. I suppose some anthropomorphic aliens could be player characters as long as they fit
into the humanoid formula. But humanoids can come in such a wide range of flavors that having "true" non humans as player characters would only have disadvantages to the player with no real advantages.

The story primarily takes place within The Cluster. This is a really big place. Even though many planets are colonised within The Cluster, there are COUNTLESS stars that are unexplored in between. Think of it like the Wild West days in the US. Even though we had a city on the east coast, one on the west coast, and one in the middle, there were still more space in between the cities that were vitually unexplored or was unknown to current population centers.

Remember this is the 3rd Rise of Humans, and seeing humans have no shame about genetic engineering (a big galactic no-no) that explains the endless new races (variations of humans) that are encountered through The Cluster.

Also, humans tend to be very Xenophobic. They have trouble tolerating themselves let alone exotic aliens living within their major population centers. Now don't get me wrong, aliens wander in between Terran population centers with little impunity. But you're going to have to really look to see any in the capital Terran planets, you won't even see many humanoids. This also depends on which capital planet you are on also. Some like Ahlissa (Executive Capital) will only have Terran humans, while others like Aboleth (Rich Mining Capital planet) will have a wide variety of aliens and humanoids.

There is a lot of descrimination against aliens and humanoids. That's the irony, because according to science, Terrans are humanoids as well because they are not full blooded genetic humans from Minerva. The main population centers in The Cluster are Terran-Centric.

But I believe there might be enough room for some non-human races. To me it just makes more sense to be a humanoid. Humanoids can be very exotic as well. Blue skin to protect against radiation or low oxygen, horns, spikes, ridges, short, tall, hairy, hairless,
and so on. Remember the Minervans and Martians were masters at genetically manipulating themselves to suit their needs.

I have to be careful though, as player characters being exotic aliens are going to have trouble with simple things like sitting in a chair, riding in vehicles, or even relieving themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users