52 replies to this topic

#21 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

Off-topic: I checked your site Dunke, I think the bag should make a cameo in this game :thumbsupsmiley:
Posted Image
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#22 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  • Projects:Survive Med School
  •  Your Doc
  • Job:Hosting Admin

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:45 PM

Amazing! :thumbsupsmiley:

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#23 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:40 AM

hehe, the bag reminds me of some old sidescrolling fantasy game, think it was Golden Axe or something. Between maps you sleep around a fire, and some gnome thingie comes and steals your loot, then you get to beat him up and he drops stuff. That bag thing would probably work well as a sort of quick scared character :thumbsupsmiley:

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#24 dunkejudas

dunkejudas
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:07 AM

Haha. I didn't think I'd see that character in a while. I'll have to see if I can't find the asset files for that one :p

Ok, so I'm still on texturing, but I haven't made enough progress to post something new. I've had no free time whatsoever, working at least 14-16 hours a day, and I promised I'd come in today for some extra work.. So I probably won't get to finish the texturing before tomorrow. After monday this week I can probably work in the eveinings as well.

So.. Yeah.. This post is basically just ranting and excuses, so bare with me here!
Next post will contain images! Promise!
Web : www.simonnyhus.com -- Blog (which will be resurrected soon, I assure you!): http://powersimon.blogg.no

#25 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:22 PM

I'm starting to have second thoughts about getting a job in this business when i hear how they slave-drive you every fucking week. But eh, at least you get paid :p

Anyway, right now i'm in Göteborg on a confirmation, and i think i've caught a flu of some sorts, so its no problem in my opinion :p

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#26 Boomerang Python

Boomerang Python

Only War Mod Leader

• Hosted
  • 2,370 posts
  • Projects:Only War, Only War 2
  •  Colonel-Commissar

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:12 AM

Must be that anti-norwegian virus we've been spreading to every citizen living in Sweden!

EDIT: Christ... just noticed my Member No.: 2,139 and then I saw dunkejudas' member number... mental :p

Edited by Boomerang Python, 09 May 2010 - 01:14 AM.

My DeviantArt - Check it out.
Posted Image
My Wii code: 6472 3114 4930 8707

"Om du kan stå, när alla andra sviktar
och sen klandras du för att just du står rak
Om du kan tro på ditt när andra riktar
sitt välbekanta tvivel mot din sak

Om var minut av nitti sen kan fyllas
med verk av dig som giltigt räknats ner
min vän, som jordens konung ska du hyllas
men du är också man, och det är mer."

#27 dunkejudas

dunkejudas
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:00 PM

@Boomerang: Yea, I just registered here. Big forum, it seems :p

So I consider myself somewhat done with the textures. There are a few seams and details that could have used some more work, but as I've already spent a bit too much time on this, I'll keep myself productive by moving on. Unless you spot some obvious bug I haven't seen or something like that.
Gif-turntable here! (it's 2.5mb, so it may take a bit longer than before)
Posted Image

And I went a little crazy with the rimlighting, so it might have a slightly more realistic look than the character would have in-game. I suppose I can go back and revise
once we get more art up and running :p

On second though, I'm going to upload a still straight and unlit from the Maya viewport... Since these turntables tend to go to fast to enable the viewer to see the details.
Posted Image

Okay! That should be it for now!
Web : www.simonnyhus.com -- Blog (which will be resurrected soon, I assure you!): http://powersimon.blogg.no

#28 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  •  Your Doc

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

:thumbsdownsmiley: :thumbsdownsmiley: :facepalm: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Speechless.

#29 dunkejudas

dunkejudas
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:52 PM

Thanks, I suppose :thumbsdownsmiley:

So I'm planning to postpone the rigging as I'm relatively slow at it.. I hope to get some tips n' tricks from Duke about what is fast and what works best with Unity!

Instead I started on the guard's mace. I found a somewhat smart and fast way to get the normals done right, so I should be able to complete 2-3 equipment assets on a good day when I get the workflow streamlined :thumbsdownsmiley: So far lowpoly, unwrap, highpoly and baking is done. It utilizes a 512x256 texture map it weighs about 800 tris (it's a bit high, but the silhouette is a bitch with all the round knobs sticking out everywhere). Here's a gif-turntable for ya!
Posted Image

#30 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:20 PM

Looking good there. You would have avoided the seams if you dropped it into mudbox for 3 minutes and just did a quick paintover of them :thumbsdownsmiley:

All in all the enemies will outshine Grymleif if you keep this up, I've got to give him some epic weaponry and animations to compete.

Weapon is looking good, maybe a bit high-poly but it is as you say hard to get a good silhouette on stuff like that. I've got a FTP-server for us to use, I'm going to upload some of the characters i've made as of yet for you to see how I've rigged. Basically though its just an AB-autorig rig with my own little JACS-script for facial animation, which isn't that relevant here.

I'll see if I'm online tonight, right now I'm semi-busy with bills, computer maintenance and dirty jobs outside.

#31 dunkejudas

dunkejudas
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:42 PM

Thanks. I'll check out those painting tools in Mudbox :mellow:

As for who outshines who, I've been thinking of altering the color scheme to make the character more guardish and less important. I was thinking something along these lines:
Posted Image
I do like the more saturated look, but then again this is just a thugish enemy. Maybe we should save the red and gold for the later, harder ones. And the small bugs don't show up as good here as well ^_^

Looking at how the other characters were rigged sounds like a great plan! I'll check them out.

And I'm now officially free from the shackles of extreme overtime at work! Phew! Well, at least for a week or something..

#32 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:14 PM

Not a bad idea to leave the more fancy colors for the later bad-guys. Congrats on finishing the tough project, I'm looking forward to seeing the final product :mellow:

#33 dunkejudas

dunkejudas
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:54 AM

Ok, so I started on all the other different pieces of equipment in the concept as I thought that it might be smart to get them all in 3d before doing any textures (and besides I left behind the source files for the mace on some other computer). Anyway, I'm kinda done with the baking out the normals now (which turned out allright, with a few exceptions which I think will vanish as I go on with texturing).

As usual I've created a few gif-spins :)

Buckler: 370 tris, 256x512 texture
Posted Image

Shortsword: 238 tris, 128x512 texture
Posted Image

Two handed sword: 640 tris, 256x512 texture
Posted Image

Towershield v1: 708 tris, 512x512 texture
Posted Image

Towershield v2: 646 tris, 512x512 texture
Posted Image

I think that should give quite a bit of variety.

Yell out if you find something that's off!

#34 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

Duuuuuuuuude! That all looks fantastic! Definitely going to keep an eye on this project.

#35 dunkejudas

dunkejudas
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:45 PM

Thanks man :p

So I'm trying out some new texture workflow which results in a somewhat more hand painted look. I think the outcome is pretty cool, but then again I'm a sucker for hand painted textures :)
Anyway, here's a wip picture of some of the equipment.
Posted Image
The colors are currently all over the place, but I'll wait with the final color correction untill all textures are done.
(I noticed my screen had really terrible colors.. You can pretend the colors are slightly more red and less contrasty)

Also, I will be unavailble for the weekend, but I should get some work done sunday afternoon or something

#36 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:15 PM

I'm digging that colour palette - very fertile, rich.

#37 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:32 AM

Luvely things, luvely things :p.

The only thing i really noticed was the first towershield has some normal-map bug in the upper corners, but all in all I really like these things. The second tower-shield can be used by the Serf aswell as a desperate defence :D

Screen colors are my worst enemy aswell, but thats what you get when you buy screens for $400 and not $1000 for a proper Dell. Looks pretty alright on this screen though. What did you do to make them textures(primarily the wooden towershield I guess), painting over the AO with a semi-soft edge photoshop brush?

The sword handles are awesome, pity we might not see much of them :S. We just have to create some code that makes dying enemies throw their swords up in the air and stab into the ground :mellow:

I fear i still got more physical labor to finish off before I get time to do something more. Hopefully I'll get a few hours this weekend.

#38 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:33 PM

This is awesome!

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#39 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  •  Your Doc

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

This is awesome!

Not just awesome... IT's Ubber AMAZING!

#40 dunkejudas

dunkejudas
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:36 PM

Thanks guys :)
Glad you like it!

@duke: Yeah, it would be cool to mix n' match different pieces of equipment with different enemies.. And I'm sure it would be a lot faster than making customized versions of shields and weapons for each enemy type.

I tried out a new texturing workflow which relies on Zbrush's ZAppLink more than painting over the UV's the normal way in Photoshop. So I'm basically just painting over a screenshot of the model, and then projecting the paintover back and bake it out as a texture. Also, as you pointed out, I'm using the AO as a base.. And I have a couple of Gradient map presets in Photoshop that helps me along the way :crazed:
I guess it's sorta based on the mini-tutorial posted here: http://boards.polyco...ead.php?t=71942

Edit: And as for brush choices I've been using a custom hard-edged square brush with opacity mapped to pen pressure.. It works wonders!

And I'll fix those towershield normals! Thanks for noticing! :)

Edited by dunkejudas, 16 May 2010 - 08:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users