#41 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:32 AM

Sweet tutorial, going to go for that when I install mudbox2011 and get multiply/screen on the texture layers :)

Mudbox also has a possibility for you to draw on screenshots of the model, just open it in photoshop and save when done and re-import. Gradient map presets? like template colors or something? you got to show me those. What I don't know of is usually very enlightening.

Also, my work is delayed because my OS-disk crashed. I'm cursed with disk-crashes :). Hopefully I'll have the two new disks here by wednesday so I can start reinstalling win7 ON A 100% MIRRORED OS-DISK... :)
Luckily the disk worked long enough for me to backup the Grymleif 3d files and my generic documents, but I lost a bit of the other 3d things I've done this year, but eh, got proof of it on my website :p

Edited by duke_Qa, 17 May 2010 - 10:34 AM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#42 dunkejudas

dunkejudas
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:35 PM

My condolences about the hard drive. I should probably backup some of my stuff too..

I now consider myself done with the equipment. I toned down the colors a bit, so some of it may seem a little bland, but I think it's for the better that they don't draw too much attention to them. And I also tinted the lighting a bit towards orange in in the gif-spins, so they may appear slightly more yellow/reddish than they actually are.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

On to rigging..
I think I'm not going to do much animation on this character yet as there should be more pressing tasks at hand, so I'll be looking at those other character files and the autorig-thingy later to get some poses and stuff out there..
Web : www.simonnyhus.com -- Blog (which will be resurrected soon, I assure you!): http://powersimon.blogg.no

#43 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  • Projects:Survive Med School
  •  Your Doc
  • Job:Hosting Admin

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:41 PM

Gold swords?

Doesn't it seens too much rich and sofisticated for poor Vikings?

Anyways, excelent job as always! :)

I'm looking foward to play this game.

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#44 dunkejudas

dunkejudas
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:03 PM

Hehe, yeah, I suppose the vikings could use some more affordable weaponry :)
I'll desaturate it to pass it off as iron or darken it to pass it off as bronze!
Web : www.simonnyhus.com -- Blog (which will be resurrected soon, I assure you!): http://powersimon.blogg.no

#45 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  • Projects:Survive Med School
  •  Your Doc
  • Job:Hosting Admin

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:35 PM

Unless it's made from copper or bronze... :)

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#46 dunkejudas

dunkejudas
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:10 PM

Ok, rigging is now done!
No fancy poses or animations yet, so you'll just have to trust me on this one! :p

Will post more when I get some animation done!

Edit:
I'll upload a gif of an idle animation! Just to keep up my pictures per post ratio :p
Posted Image

Urgh.. It seems like I've used old, colorful textures.. Nevermind those!

Edited by dunkejudas, 22 May 2010 - 02:44 PM.

#47 dunkejudas

dunkejudas
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:46 PM

Animation time!
I haven't done a lot of character animation the last year, but I suppose some of the animations turned out ok.. In addition to the Idle animation in the previous post, I've created a walk, death and attack. Here they are!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll may have to do some fixing on the skinning here and there.. Urgh..

#48 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:28 PM

You continue to amaze.
Although something about that attack animation doesn't seem quite right. I can't pin it down exactly, but the blow looks very weak. Maybe it's because he doesn't twist his body enough to generate real acceleration (and thus force). Or he should swing his mace from over his left shoulder. In any case, right now it looks like a cute slap or a blocking move - but possibly that's what you intended for a comical effect.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#49 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:52 AM

whoa, awesome work. This looks great, and very professionally done. Good stuff.

I think the attack animation looks fine, and its attack 1, so he'll have a few different way's he'll swing(i assume)

one thing i notice with the working animation is right at the end it doesn't blend completely smoothly. Its alright, but its just a fraction off perfect.
(i guess i'd describe it as he's walking off one leg, rather then walking off the two evenly)

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#50 dunkejudas

dunkejudas
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:11 AM

thanks for feedback :p
I totally agree with you, and I have reworked both the attack- and walk animation. I suppose the current attack animation would work better with the short sword or some other slashing weapon instead of the mace.

Anyway, I've done a new attack animation gif more suited for bludgeoning weapons :popcorn: I think the silhouette reads better from the side too.
Posted Image

I'm not sure wheter or not to include the hit and recoil in the animation (maybe it would look weird if he missed). I made a couple of test-gifs that can be found here:
http://i46.tinypic.com/24w56x1.gif
http://i45.tinypic.com/2jancec.gif

There's also some more serious skinning issues here, but I suppose that's not too much of a problem..

And I fixed the walkcycle, but as the changes were quite small, I don't feel like making a gif of it :crazed:

#51 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:49 AM

Looks pretty damn good to me. The thighs could probably get some more skin weight from the pelvis to avoid that worst clip as he lifts up his leg, or vice versa up to the belly. But deforming the belly might cause other problems so I won't say what's best. Ultimately it ain't the end of the world.

There is a very angry vertice in the right knee on the first attack though, but I don't see it in the second one, so it might have been tweaked.

What could have been fun here is to have a individual joint for the belly, so you could jiggle it around as he walks and attacks and stretches in ways you might not want him to stretch. Just make it Translate and rotate and add a basic controller and it should be helpful.

If you do these things or not though, I'd officially give this one a thumbs up for the finished drawer. at least until we figure out we want more animations, but thats easy enough. Great Job DJ, its a damn epic guard :crazed:

Edited by duke_Qa, 23 May 2010 - 11:49 AM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#52 dunkejudas

dunkejudas
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:46 PM

Cool, cool :crazed:
Skinning is now redone and the belly is animated. No changes worthy of their own gif, but rest assured that the crazy vertecies and the intersecting legs are no more.

Ok.. So, yeah, That's it. I can upload some of the source files to a ftp or something if that's needed.

Cheers :p

#53 Boomerang Python

Boomerang Python

Only War Mod Leader

• Hosted
  • 2,370 posts
  • Projects:Only War, Only War 2
  •  Colonel-Commissar

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

all of the above comments x 300
My DeviantArt - Check it out.
Posted Image
My Wii code: 6472 3114 4930 8707