#1 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts
  • Projects:Helm's Deep Last Hope
  •  One who is not afraid of new challenges

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:56 AM

Last Wednesday, my laptop froze up and when I tried rebooting it, all I got was a black screen. After spending five unsuccessful hours trying to figure out what was wrong with it, I took it up to the Best Buy Geek Squad. On Friday night, they called me saying that the hard drive on my laptop was dead. All my school work from college and high school was on that laptop. I also lost all my pictures, music, videos, and artwork. In other words, a part of my life disappeared. The Geek Squad said their was one final option in recovering my data but they would have to go through an extensive process of restructuring my hard drive. The real kicker was that the beginning price would be around $1500. This does not even guarantee that I will get my data back. I already spent over $900 getting a new laptop and external hard drive and I simply don't have the money to spend on something that may or may not be able to recover my data. So, as of right now, I'm frantically working on getting my new laptop up and running while also figuring out what past schoolwork and documents were lost.

As far as I know, only a minimal amount of material for my mod has been lost. Most of my work was on another computer. I mainly lost some art files for my newest website and also some T3A admin stuff.

Sigh, I did not need this to happen with for weeks to go until I graduate.

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#2 _Haldir_

_Haldir_

Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds, The Elven Alliance: Community Edition
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:54 AM

Ouch :) I'm sorry to hear that Rob.

If crashes have taught me anything though, it's to not stress out too much, and just get back on your feet. If it's gone it's gone, don't beat yourself up about it :crazed:

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:30 AM

Don't tell me you don't have any backups of your school work and valuable private stuff... O_o

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#4 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:09 AM

Sigh, I did not need this to happen with for weeks to go until I graduate.

I wish you good luck.

... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

Crap, that really sucks. Sorry to hear that

(but dare I say it? *cough* backups)
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#6 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:21 PM

Sucks to hear Rob,hope it all works out.

I'm so glad I backed up my mod last week.
Nothing like hearing about computer crashes to make a modder nervous :)

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#7 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for reminding me I really need to back up my writing. Haven't done so in many months. I just thought of the horrors of losing everything.

Mike, back your things up as well. :)

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#8 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

Ouch man, that sucks.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#9 Spartan184

Spartan184

:)

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts
  • Projects:Random Modding Projects
  •  Coder, Map.ini Coder, Mapper, and Beta Tester

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:09 PM

Wow this sucks :) I just hope you have backups of your assignments.

safsignature.png

#10 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:30 PM

Don't tell me you don't have any backups of your school work and valuable private stuff... O_o

I have my recent schoolwork backed up but everything else is lost. I also have many of my paper and notes in hardcopy but it's still frustrating to lose all of my electronic work and articles. It's ridiculous for a laptop that was only two years old to crash the way it did. I never dropped it and I rarely transported it anywhere. It mostly just sat on my desk and I used it daily to do schoolwork, access the Internet, etc. I am never buying a Gateway computer again.

Luckily, a week before my computer crashed, I put most of my music on a mp3 player. I still lost some stuff, but at least it's not all my music.

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#11 Digz

Digz

title available

• Division Leaders
  • 1,070 posts
  • Projects:Petrolution
  • Division:Petrolution
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:44 PM

Damn m8 sorry to hear about that, my laptop has crashed 3 times, luckily its under warranty but I understand how frustrating it is to keep loosing your work and other stuff that may be on your laptop.

I'm never buying a laptop again, its given me far too many problems in the space of 2 years, this is the last year of the warranty coming up, after that I'm making back-ups every week and buying a desktop.

Laptops aren't generally unreliable but my experience with my one makes me hate all of them lol.

#12 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:10 PM

*backs up uni work*

I think a lot is dependent on the brand. Some are more reliable than others.

I used to own a Packard Bell laptop. Had it nearly five years before upgrading after Windows 7 came out. The hard-drive didn't crash once.

I had other problems, such as blowing the fuse, many BSODs, blocking the fan, but I never lost anything.
Posted Image

#13 Spartan184

Spartan184

:)

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts
  • Projects:Random Modding Projects
  •  Coder, Map.ini Coder, Mapper, and Beta Tester

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:11 PM

I have my recent schoolwork backed up but everything else is lost. I also have many of my paper and notes in hardcopy but it's still frustrating to lose all of my electronic work and articles. It's ridiculous for a laptop that was only two years old to crash the way it did. I never dropped it and I rarely transported it anywhere. It mostly just sat on my desk and I used it daily to do schoolwork, access the Internet, etc. I am never buying a Gateway computer again.

Luckily, a week before my computer crashed, I put most of my music on a mp3 player. I still lost some stuff, but at least it's not all my music.

Yeah, Gateway sucks, both my uncles bought one and they both broke the same way. They would not start up, but I think one of my uncles manage to fix his.

safsignature.png

#14 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:16 PM

Daily (or at least weekly) backups of the whole system anyone? External hard drives are cheap these days (even in Switzerland, and that means something) and there is a ton of both free and commercial backup software that will do the job. Mac OS X even comes with the awesome Time Machine.

I don't think I'd ever sleep again if I knew I only had a single copy of all my data on something as unreliable as a laptop hard drive...

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#15 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:23 PM

Ah well, in a few years we'll go back to the thin client, but with everything in "the cloud" (buzzword: meaning stored on an internet server) instead of on a mainframe.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#16 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:52 AM

Sounds scary to me.

I have my recent schoolwork backed up but everything else is lost ...

@Rob: I hardly dare to ask, but is Helms Deep safe?

... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#17 drogoth232

drogoth232

What a shame

• Members
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:02 PM

^ That would be horrible! But I think (from what he said) that art work (I hope that doesnt include most of Helms Deep) is lost... Any little loss can end up being a big problem. :p
Wait... what?

#18 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:22 AM

Yeah, Helm's Deep is safe. All that was lost in terms of my mod was some Photoshop documents of my website artwork.

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#19 Slavic

Slavic
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

You should keep everything on the internet, like me.

#20 Slavic

Slavic
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

Yeah, Helm's Deep is safe. All that was lost in terms of my mod was some Photoshop documents of my website artwork.

If I understand going through the threads, Helm's Deep: Last Hope is apparently not "in" as it was before. The subforum is now even archived. 

Is everything going according to plan? I tried to find where the files for a beta version of the mod could be download, but I haven't been able to find anything neither on your website nor on this forum. Are the files OK? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users