Photo

SKorean president vows 'stern action' for NKorean attack on warship

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:41 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea accused North Korea on Thursday of firing a torpedo that sank a naval warship in March, killing 46 sailors in the country's worst military disaster since the Korean War.

President Lee Myung-bak vowed "stern action" for the provocation following the release of long-awaited results from a multinational investigation into the incident. North Korea, reacting swiftly, called the results a fabrication and warned that any retaliation would trigger war.

Investigators said evidence overwhelmingly proves North Korea fired a homing torpedo that caused a massive underwater blast that tore the Cheonan into two on March 26. Fifty-eight sailors were rescued from the frigid Yellow Sea waters near the Koreas' maritime border, but 46 perished.

"(We) will take resolute countermeasures against North Korea and make it admit its wrongdoings through strong international cooperation," Lee told Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd in a phone conversation, the presidential office said.

The White House called the sinking an unacceptable "act of aggression" that violates international law and the truce signed in 1953.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, a former South Korean foreign minister, called the investigation results "deeply troubling," his spokesman said in a statement.

China, North Korea's traditional ally, called the sinking of the naval ship "unfortunate" but stopped short of backing Seoul. Vice Foreign Minister Cui Tiankai refused to comment further Thursday other than reiterating long-standing Chinese comments on the need to maintain peace on the Korean peninsula.

South Korean and U.S. officials have said they are considering a variety of options, ranging from U.N. Security Council action to additional U.S. penalties.

North Korea already is chafing from international sanctions tightened last year in the wake of widely condemned nuclear and missile tests.

Pyongyang, meanwhile, continued its steadfast denials of involvement in the sinking and said it would send its own investigators to conduct a probe, while warning that any punishment against the North would spark war.

"The all-out war to be undertaken by us will be a sacred war involving the whole nation, all the people and the whole state," a spokesman for North Korea's powerful National Defense Commission said, according to a report carried by the state-run Korean Central News Agency.

North Korea's Kim Jong Il serves as chairman of the National Defense Commission, a position that makes him leader of the communist nation of 24 million.

The North also warned the South against any provocative acts near the Koreas' borders in the aftermath of the sinking, saying it would react with an "unlimited retaliatory blow, merciless strong physical blow."

Pyongyang, which accused Lee's government of exploiting the disaster for political gain, also urged the U.S. and Japan to "act with discretion."

"The world will clearly see what dear price the group of traitors will have to pay for the clumsy 'conspiratorial farce' and 'charade' concocted to stifle compatriots," KCNA said.

The two Koreas remain locked in a state of war and divided by the world's most heavily armed border because the conflict ended with the signing of a truce, not a peace treaty.

North Korea has waged a slew of attacks against South Korea since the war, including the 1987 downing of a South Korean passenger plane that killed all 115 people on board.

Pyongyang routinely denies the past provocations.

North Korea also disputes the maritime border drawn unilaterally by U.N. forces at the close of the Korean War, and the waters have been the site of several deadly naval clashes since 1999.

Fragments recovered from the waters where the Cheonan went down indicate that a North Korean submarine fired a torpedo, investigators said Thursday.

Pieces recovered at the sinking site "perfectly match" the schematics of the torpedo included in introductory brochures provided to foreign countries by North Korea for export purposes, chief investigator Yoon Duk-young said.

A serial number on a torpedo fragment also was consistent with markings from a North Korean torpedo that South Korea obtained years earlier, Yoon said.

"The evidence points overwhelmingly to the conclusion that the torpedo was fired by a North Korean submarine," he said. "There is no other plausible explanation."

Investigators also confirmed that several small North Korean submarines and a mother ship supporting them left a North Korean naval base two to three days ago before the attack, and returned to port two to three days after the attack.

Other nations' submarines were either in or near their respective home bases at the time of the incident, Yoon said.

The joint civilian-military investigation team included experts from South Korea, the U.S., Britain, Australia and Sweden.

___

Associated Press writers Matthew Lee in Washington, Edith M. Lederer at the United Nations and Chi-Chi Zhang in Beijing contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.c...inking-warship/

#2 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:43 AM

Well, NK should either bend over and accept that some idiot rogue military officer in NK dropped that torpedo on SK, or they should just shut up and take what's coming silently without making a fuzz.

If they do make a fuzz, they deserve anything they get coming at them. Alas, filling Seoul with artillery for a few hours would probably be a bad thing for the economy in these times, but eh, you'd be getting rid of one dinosaur of old at least.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#3 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:44 AM

I know nobody wants to risk all-out war, but this is getting ridiculous. North Korea has to be controlled and stopped. You can't call it peace or a truce when one side continues to blow up the other side every now and again and then threaten war if there's any retaliation. You can bet if South Korea 'accidentally' sank a North Korean battleship, it would be a worldwide conspiracy to bring down Kim Jong-Il and he'd demand massive reparations or go to war. Seriously, somebody needs to deal with him.

By the way, any indication of what the 'stern action' might be? A strongly-worded letter to a North Korean newspaper, perhaps? Refusal to attend North Korea's next birthday party? Making North Korea replace the ship?
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#4 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

By the way, any indication of what the 'stern action' might be?

Stop or I'll say stop "again" :p

#5 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:08 PM

Well that's a shame...

#6 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:57 PM

I really don't understand why North Korea think they can do these kinds of things. They're probably one of the most economically insignificant first-world nations, and they do it to themselves.

#7 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:05 PM

That's why I fail to see why we should care... they obviously just want attention. Yet again Tiger Woods takes the news sadly... not even provoking a future war can stop this man from showing up on my TV.

#8 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:30 PM

Frankly,
1. build missile shield around Seoul
2. bomb the shit out of North Korea

Their dick-waving has taken on ridiculous dimensions. If it wasn't for the Chinese and the threat to Seoul, North Korea would have long been history. I wonder when they will realise that everyone already has the finger on the trigger and if China ever gives up on backing them (unlikely, but possible if they screw up somehow), it'll be a matter of days before their whole little dictatorship breaks down under South Korean and US bombs (and rightly so!).

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#9 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:32 PM

China needs to sort them out. They have the military. If only eh...

#10 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:14 PM

On the other hand, if North Korea really does have a nuke, one wouldn't want to risk an all-out war. I think the best option will be to just build a giant wall around North Korea and let them keep for themselves :p
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#11 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:29 PM

Just create a Solanum epidemic :p

#12 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:41 PM

Maybe we could lower a big dome over North Korea and then if they try to nuke us they'll just hit the dome and all die of radiation poisoning very slowly. Giant domes solve so many of life's little problems. :p
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#13 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

Eh, they would probably die of hunger first, not getting any supplies from outside to feed their own.

NK is dying in my opinion, and like many old dying things its foaming around the mouth and losing its mind. Hopefully it won't be able to use any of its nukes as it gets blown apart.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#14 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:37 PM

People should stop feeding the idiots.I mean it.

This is for you,UN.

#15 Imagine

Imagine
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:19 PM

Eh, they would probably die of hunger first, not getting any supplies from outside to feed their own.

NK is dying in my opinion, and like many old dying things its foaming around the mouth and losing its mind. Hopefully it won't be able to use any of its nukes as it gets blown apart.

To be honest North Korea isn't going to be a threat to the USA for quite a while. They have barely tested a fully working long ranged ICBM, currently they can barely reach Japan and that's if the wind is right.
They say the future is only as predictable as the past..... Probably because they're the same thing.

#16 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:41 AM

They're not a threat to anyone... that's why we're not taking them seriously. It's like Justine Beiver trying to blow up the White House... not going to happen, little douche bag.

#17 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:44 AM

To be honest North Korea isn't going to be a threat to the USA for quite a while. They have barely tested a fully working long ranged ICBM, currently they can barely reach Japan and that's if the wind is right.

And you don't consider this a threat to the US or it's allies S. Korea or Japan?

:p

#18 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:38 AM

Where are all these top secret super assassins when you need them? take out North korea's leader... people, who are doing this crap (not sure weather its the countries actual leader, or its military general or something)

and then the problem is solved.

Edited by some_weirdGuy, 22 May 2010 - 02:56 AM.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:26 AM

Why couldn't we think of that!? Yea! We can end terrorism with that idea!

There's always and anti-assassin...

#20 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:29 AM

Eh, kim ain't a big threat, he's dying of kidney failure and cancer. The NK military big-shots are desperately looking for alternative leadership, but they probably will have problems getting their people to join them in worship of another lunatic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users