#1 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:02 PM

So here I am, reinstalling my windows after yet another hd-crash. This time i thought i was gonna be clever and have a mirrored disk on the OS-disk. but eh, turns out that mirroring through windows requires the disk to be dynamic. Naturally the single warning i got as i added the second 500gb-disk to mirror the OS disk wasnt too helpful, it didn't explicitly say that this would fuck up my booting, I've come to that conclusion now.

so right now i'm sitting on the pc and trying to install ghost so that i can do a backup of my freshly installed windows and get it back to basic. If someone has a tip or two of how to non-destructively get a disk from dynamic to basic, I'm all ears :p

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#2 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  • Projects:Survive Med School
  •  Your Doc
  • Job:Hosting Admin

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

:p Change for Linux :p

or Ubunto :p

TO change a disk from dinamic to basic, i think that you need to go to the Windows's Control Painel...Hardware & Disks (if i'm not mistaken :p )
Anyways, good luck with the reinstall.

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#3 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:35 PM

I didn't even know such a thing existed. It had to be crappy coming from M$ :p

Anyway, this is what Wikipedia says:

Basic disks can be upgraded to dynamic disks, however when this is done the disk cannot easily be downgraded to a basic disk again. To perform a downgrade, data on the dynamic disk must first be backed up onto some other storage device. Second, the dynamic disk must be re-formatted as a basic disk (erasing all data). Finally, data from the backup must be copied back over to the newly re-formatted basic disk.

(http://en.wikipedia....al_Disk_Manager)

Edit: grammar.

Edited by Phil, 20 May 2010 - 10:11 PM.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#4 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:58 PM

Yeah, I've now used windows Vista's backup solution, but I am somehow unable to make a recovery disk because of some error while it tries to write it. other people have gotten the answer that the windows7 disk allows you to repair, so in the worst case scenario I should be able to boot through the flash-install I got, format the partition(or just re-install windows on the backupdisk i sent the backup to, should work fine), and have everything back in place. I've never used Windows backup files for anything in the past, so this might be interesting.

edit: Reboot and it is still working... huh. dunno why that would work.

Edited by duke_Qa, 20 May 2010 - 10:21 PM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users