Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds, The Elven Alliance: Community Edition
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:38 PM

Man Made Ruins:
Creating unique ruined environments

When planning ruins on your map, whether at a large city, or on a smaller scale, it’s important to keep one thing in mind: ruins weren’t always ruins. They used to be buildings.

It seems obvious i know, but the best maps will often have their ruins placed in some semblance of a planned city, and not just random clumps of buildings. This is especially important in city-like areas, as unit pathing and combat areas become increasingly important as you place more buildings. Make sure you have enough space for units to fight in built up areas – an open town square or main street gives your players a chance to swing their swords.

Posted Image
{IP} Aridor Arthain's Lake Evendim map is a perfect example of placing ruins to suggest a building that has long since been lost to time

Whenever placing objects as a mapper, it is always important to use a variety of objects in your map. This can be especially important when using man-made structures, as the various sets of structures (e.g. Osgiliath, Ithilien or Amon Hen) are quite recognisable. Therefore, you have to be extra creative in your use of these objects when creating ruins that may not necessarily relate to the original locations of the structures.

Posted Image
An small selection of the Amon Hen, Ithilien and Osgiliath props available in BFME 1. Each set has distinctive features that may or may not suit your map

Your research/concepts of your area will help determine which set of objects to use. For example, ruins in Eriador, such as Fornost or Annuminas, will require the use of Gondorian/Numenorian type ruins, such as the Osgiliath or Ithilien sets. You can also use Gondor, Cirith Ungol, Minas Tirith and Helm’s Deep objects to good effect, as long as you find innovative ways to ‘disguise’ their use.

Have a look at Lake Evendim by {IP} Aridor Arthain, or my “Fornost” map:

Posted Image Posted Image

The use of the Osgiliath and Ithilen props to ‘disguise’ the Gondor and Minas Tirith Walls works effectively, allowing you to create infinite unique arrangements of ruined structure (and that’s before you add things like rocks, rubble, trees, grasses and man-made props to spice things up even more). The varied use of scale, z-heights and prop placement, means that despite using the same set of structures, these two maps have their own unique style, different to EA’s Osgiliath map.

Here i’ve used a variety of Minas Tirith and Gondor walls to form the basis for my city structure. Then, using the ruined objects from Osgiliath and Ithilien, i painstakingly covered over the surface of each wall (though not the tops for pathing reasons).

Posted Image
Using a mixture of vertical pillars and horizontal walls was important, in order to break up the repetition of certain wall objects.

In contrast, here’s a look at my Fornost map with and without any of the extra ruins. I could have left the map in a less intricate state, as the walls are all walkable and serve their purpose of dividing up the terrain. However, playing a map left at this stage would quickly grow old, as you would begin to think of the map as some generic, snowy, Gondor map, rather than “Fornost”.

It really comes down to what you are trying to achieve. If you are making an Osgiliath map (like snoopyzero’s East Osgiliath map), then by all means, go nuts with the Osgiliath props. But don't feel limited to Osgiliath, Ithilien or Amon Hen ruins. Snoopyzero has used damaged gondor buildings and structures to add a nice variety to his objects.

But if you are trying to recreate a more unique location, then you’ll have to place your objects creatively to achieve a more unique look.
Because really, the maps that you love to play over and over are the ones that have unique, interesting, eye-popping aesthetics to match the gameplay.

Posted Image

That’s it for now, please comment and let me know what you thought :p
Next time, a look at creating realistic cliff terrain

Edited by Puppeteer, 26 May 2010 - 10:05 AM.

#2 Spartan184

Spartan184

:)

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts
  • Projects:Random Modding Projects
  •  Coder, Map.ini Coder, Mapper, and Beta Tester

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:26 PM

Very nice, I always wanted to know how to place Ruins without making them look to stupid :p I also like the idea of disguising walls with ruins, very creative. _Haldir_ you really are a mapping expert :p I can't wait for the next tutorial.

safsignature.png

#3 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:17 PM

The second-last picture... that must have taken hours! Still, it has its rewards. Nice tutorial, those walls are beautifully decorated to look like ruins.

#4 {IP}jimmyman

{IP}jimmyman

The only was one can understand me is by being me.

• Project Team
  • 644 posts
  • Projects:Mapping for RJ_RotWK
  •  freelance mapper/3d modeler in training

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:37 PM

Very nice tutorial Haldir :crazed: i'm totally going to use this now.

Edited by {IP}jimmyman, 26 May 2010 - 02:01 AM.

Sig by Serated
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image CLICK THE DRAGONS Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:41 AM

Let's just say I'm definitely looking forward to future tutorials of yours. Nice work :crazed:

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#6 _Haldir_

_Haldir_

Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:01 AM

Thanks guys :p
It's nice to think that these tutorials are useful (even if it only ends up being a couple of people :p). I'll be posting the next tutorial probably next week, as i have a heap of uni stuff to do before then. And if you've never looked at Snoopyzero's map, you should definitely download TDH :p The amount of objects on that map is mind-blowing.

Btw, can one of you admin types pin each of these threads? Please :p?

#7 bergice

bergice
  • Members
  • 48 posts
  • Projects:Nothing official

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

This is great! ^-^
Posted Image

#8 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  • Projects:RJ-ROTWK Mapping Team
  •  Loremaster

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:21 AM

Why thank you for the complement. I really loved making that map.

#9 _Haldir_

_Haldir_

Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

Not at all :p I love that map, it's exactly how i imagine Lake Evendim, and a clear inspiration for Fornost.

Welcome back btw :)

#10 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  • Projects:RJ-ROTWK Mapping Team
  •  Loremaster

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

I don't think I ever played your Fornost map. I got busy and stopped playing. I'll have to check it out.

#11 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  • Projects:Wars of Arda, Dol Guldur--Unfinished Version, Expanded Helm's Deep with Glittering Caves
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:05 PM

Wonderful tutorial. I'm gonna start using this for a few of my fortress maps from now on :w00t:

Edited by Rokqua Shadowkin, 26 August 2010 - 07:31 PM.

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users