• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:33 PM

Ok so, to open this up, I love BFME1. However there were some things that bugged me about it. Namely the graphics. BFME2 has addressed these issues and made a much more pretty and eye appealing game. Though BFME1 contains the realism and epic movie feel that I want. Essentially I want the best of both worlds.

How I accomplish that? Simple, make a mod.

Basic outline of the mod:

Revert back to BFME2 structure. Meaning:
Elves removed
Dwarves removed
"Wild" removed
Men split to Rohan and Gondor
Bases added back in
Original spellbooks
Original heroes
Original units
Original structures

Essentially I'm removing everything that was different about BFME2.

Why you ask? Because in my eyes (and apparently many others as well) BFME2's additions were just silly, and I want an exact replica of BFME1 just with the improved engine of BFME2.

Now I understand that there are other mods out there very similar to this. RJ, BFME1 1/2, ect... The difference is, I am not enhancing the game with add ons and other shiny things. I am simply going for the Vanilla BFME1. Of course there will be reskins of the hideous EA textures, but aside from that, the original BFME1 lineup will be present.

Now, the question is. What do I do about the BFME2 stuff that is actually good? Like for example, Mouth of Saruon, or some of the spellbook spells like The Watcher. These things are really neat, but do not fit in my outline.

Would you guys like to see these things incorperated? Or left out?

Edited by Kwen, 25 May 2010 - 07:06 PM.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#2 Spartan184

Spartan184

:)

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts
  • Projects:Random Modding Projects
  •  Coder, Map.ini Coder, Mapper, and Beta Tester

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:25 PM

I want MoS, Nazguls on foot, I don't really care about battle trolls but I voted in. Good luck Kwen :)

safsignature.png

#3 NewErr

NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  • Projects:Wars of The Firstborn
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:29 PM

Very interesting . I only voted Nzguls on foot In.

Edited by Valaquenta10, 24 May 2010 - 06:29 PM.

#4 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:05 AM

See the way I see it, there are some units (Mainly ones that were still a major focus in the movie.) That still deserve to be in. Like the ones above. However others, like the Warg Sentry for Isengard. The silly model replacements for FG and Easterlings. Do not deserve to remain.

After a few days or so I will switch the poll around to focus on different units from a different faction. All the while taking notes to see what the public would like to see.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:14 AM

You know what would be super-super awesome? If you did this, and then released it freely more as a platform than a mod. So, really cleanly coded and bug-free, so people who like the features of BFME1 (like me) could essentially mod BFME1 using BFME2 additions.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#6 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:37 AM

That's sort of the idea. I suppose I could do that, release it for all to mod from. Of course requiring adequate credit.

The only thing is, if one was to do faction coding or new maps for it, they would have to go about it differently then they would in BFME1. The way bases unpack are slightly different.

#7 Spartan184

Spartan184

:)

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts
  • Projects:Random Modding Projects
  •  Coder, Map.ini Coder, Mapper, and Beta Tester

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:53 AM

Nert, I was just gonna ask that :) It would be really cool if he did thought, cause it would save people alot of time.

safsignature.png

#8 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:28 AM

Unpacking bases is different? Possibly... :)
I thought the way i made it work looked fairly much like the bfme 1 way...

Edited by Ridder Geel, 25 May 2010 - 09:28 AM.

Ridder Geel

#9 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:42 AM

Well I mean then initial unpack. When the game starts. If you set it to just have the bases assigned to a team like normal, there are a lot of issues with broken walls and such (wall segments missing at random). But if you set it to transfer castle flag to player, then script a base unpack (like you were capturing it) there are no wall issues.

#10 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:16 PM

Uhh... This is my simple script...
Well the part that you would need...
In the map i made one object named:
STARTPLAYER2BFME1
the script... well i modded it so it has all u need...:
*** IF ***
*** THEN ***
   Unit 'STARTPLAYER2BFME1' is transferred to the command of Player 'Player_2'
  Unpack the base: Unit 'STARTPLAYER2BFME1'and reference it as UnitRef 'AI_BASE'.

Just name all your 8 start positions (or how many u want) to things like STARTPLAYER2BFME1 and make it for each of the playes... one script per player... Should not take too long :)

Though i guess thats what you meant ;)
I figured that stuff out by looking through BFME 1 libraries :) Maybe u can implement it for u mod? Not sure if the AI and such still rely on it though.

Edited by Ridder Geel, 25 May 2010 - 02:18 PM.

Ridder Geel

#11 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:07 PM

I have a working script. :) I was simply saying if someone was planning on making a mod branching off from this one, then they would need to go about it slightly different when it comes to bases and adding a new faction.

#12 lotrfan

lotrfan

title available

• Project Team
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:35 PM

Hi, if you checked my other post, I have a working mod that allows a 'drag and drop' of bfme1 maps into bfme2.
I plan on releasing it tonight or tommorow.
Just have a few things to work out before the first beta release.

I'll try to post details later.
You can check out my other post for now.
Posted Image

#13 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:08 PM

I've shut down the poll, the results were clear. As for attack trolls, I'm going to use bfme1 style.

But another question:

Should I allow units to lvl up to 10? or 5?

Edited by Kwen, 25 May 2010 - 07:08 PM.

#14 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:36 PM

I think level 10. No reason not to I'd say.

I didn't see the poll results or questions, could you post the details?
Greetings, community.

#15 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:00 PM

Question 1: Mouth of Sauron is or out

Results: like 14 to 3 (14 being in)

Question 2: Nazgul on foot in or out

Results: About the same. Landslide for in.

Question 3: Attack trolls as a separate unit

Results: 8 separate 7 rank. (though I'm leaning towards the rank way, because it's not practical to have 2 trolls aside from drummer. One would never get used.)

#16 Puzzler33

Puzzler33
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:08 PM

I would say a cap of rank 5 is best for basic units but I don't suppose it makes much difference...
Posted Image

#17 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:12 PM

It makes a huge difference in longer games. Having an army of lvl 5 units is nice and all. But an army of lvl 10 units is a whole other story.

#18 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

I'd definitely say ranked up to attack trolls. Or upgraded to attack trolls.
Greetings, community.

#19 Puzzler33

Puzzler33
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:06 PM

Surely then in some ways it's worse because you lose the ability to throw rocks / eat orcs for health / use trees. Also it's a little weird that a cave troll would just become an attack troll...
Perhaps make it an upgrade (which you buy) which becomes purchasable at rank 2 or something.

Edited by Puzzler33, 27 May 2010 - 07:07 PM.

Posted Image

#20 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:09 PM

Do you not understand the game? When you purchase a Mountain troll (not a cave troll) it comes out of the cage with nothing in it's hands. Which means it can pick up a tree, or a rock, or an orc, or whatever. Then, when reaching lvl 2, the model changes to the attack troll (Which really is just a suited up mountain troll. Or at least in the movies it is.) It can still pick up rocks or whatever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users