15 replies to this topic

#1 lotrfan

lotrfan

title available

• Project Team
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:00 AM

Hi,

I have a mod that I have been working on for quite some time now.
For those who know me around the forums, I have made it my passion to get bfme1 playstyle back in bfme2 for a long time.
I still plan lan and online games with a group of friends so I know it very well. And i know bfme2/rotwk too.
The additions to the expansions are very beautiful. The maps, CAH, spellbooks, fortresses, new powers, graphics, etc. But the problem is the gameplay itself was not as fun as bfme1. Bfme1 allows you to play a variety of styles of gameplay, rushing, camping, going around harassing farms/outposts, etc. In addition, I this style of gameplay brought on another balance. The limited number of building spaces force a huge balance in the game. It is basically "you each have x many spaces to use. You have a semi-fortified base. Its up to you how to use them. There are a few places you can get outside to help you expand and get resources. Do the best with what you have". This system allows people who loose a battle to still have a chance to win the war.

With bfme2/rotwk you are forced to use rush tactics. There are many implications that result from this (such as lack of certain gameplay styles) but I want to go into this too much (long post).

Anyway... I made it a passion to bring back bfme1 gameplay style. EA should have at least left it in game for those who might opt for one way over the other, but code was just left in there and things weren't working right (as most of you know who have try to mod this).

There were many problems in trying to do this (and still a few minor ones left now), but I have for the most part managed to bring a 'drag and drop system' of bfme1 maps into bfme2. What this means is that with my mod, you can just throw in bfme1 maps into your rotwk maps folder and play them as you do bfme1!!!

I want to upload the mod as soon as possible and have a few people test the beta, but Iam not sure how to do this on this site (lol).

If someone can just tell me how it would be great.

Also, a lot of it is based off RJ's mod, but I changed it around very much that it is very different now.

This mod is basically bfme1, but instead of 4 factions, you have 10!!!
The factions/units added are not merely a copy of gondor faction, reskined 10 times over, but each faction has its unique advantages/disadvantages.
I plan to list some of them on the release on the mod site.

As of now, the idea is that you can simply drag in the maps from bfme1 and start playing immediately!!!
This has sooooooooo much potential!!! Picture bfme1 maps played, but with 10 balanced factions (instead of 4)!!! and with all the nice enhancements of bfme2!!!

KEEP IN MIND THE UPCOMMING RELEASE IS ONLY A BETA, so balance and a few other things are not there yet/fully working yet.

Another thing I want to mention here is that I have big plans for the mod. I would like if people could volunteer to help convert some of the bfme2 maps into bfme1. I can provide a big file that will help with the worldbuilder in case you want to add anything specifc, although as I mentioned, this is a "drag and drop attempt" so anything you design within the bfmeII/rotwk games is great! One thing my mod has though is a universal build plot foundation (this was inherited from RJ's mod).

What this is is basically a buildplot that "unpacks" the factions correct buildplot onto the map. This means say you have a map like minas tirith or something (erebor or w/e) and you played as Elves. In the past (in bfme1), you would be stuck with Gondors buildplot in the minastirith map. With this buildplot, you can make so the faction you choose has their buildplot unpacked for them. The code is actually there from rj's mod, but it has never actually been tested. I looked at the code and it seemed to make sense to me. It should be fun for mappers to try out and opens up a world of opportunity for them.

As for the factions, I have significantly reduced the number/types of units from the rj-mod. I try to keep units that would help make the factions balanced/unique (as described above). I have also thrown some units/upgrades into existing buildings now just to get the beta out there (check out mordor lol). But keep in mind this is still a growing mod and changes are happening and ideas welcome.

As for the future of the mod, I plan to have it nice and organized. Eventually, I plan to leave out some bfme1/bfme2 maps. Again, the thing here is I dont want to just throw a bunch of things in there and say 'play'. I am looking for quality in the game. I have spent many years working on this and plan for it to be the best!!!

Some of the things I hope to do are the following. If you can help out, please let me know where you can. I am recruiting.

-Map Making (EA quality maps and all. Some of the maps from bfme1 have bad graphics and need a facelift and some new additions such as Signal Beacon, the new outpost, new lairs, etc. In addition some new/converted bfme 2 maps. BTW making an 'island' maps where a bases and outposts are separated by water is a goal. More on this in the forums. )
-Artists (hopefully not too many more models, but a couple skins/artwork is still needed)
-Website (I am great at coding, and have great ideas and information, but I am not all that artistic or good at web design, managing forums, etc. Hence the reason for my post at the beggining :) ).
-Effects (For those of you who have played SEE and a few others, you know what I'm talking about. Ents invis at trees and few other things. Its the little things in life after all).
-Balance (this is very important! Bad balance kills a game. I will try to do a good deal of balancing. I know there are people out there who have more experience than me at this and your input is welcome. The kind of balance I'm looking for is a mix of bfme1 balance and bfme2 patch 1.06 (and SEE ... great stuff guys). But more on that later in the forums for the specifics of what I am talking about).
-Advertisement (getting the word out...hosting the latest release of the mod on different websites, facebook, etc.)

-Tournament ladder (one of perhaps the latter of these issues, but hopefully not to far away. After decent balance is set, we can start setting up tournaments and managing it as mlg game like dota or something. It runs on wc3, but is a huge success).

Please let me know if you can help out. I already have many ideas for these things and know how to implement many of them. I am open to suggestions. Please let me know if you can help.

P.S. please reply to the top of this and let me know how to host my mod :) .

Thanks for all the help over the years from these forums. I hope this is a great success.
Posted Image

#2 CTLN7

CTLN7

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,210 posts
  • Projects:Rogue Republic

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:22 AM

whats with all this bfme 1 fever ?

#3 Puzzler33

Puzzler33
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:44 AM

http://www.the3rdage.../prelist?type=2
Just click on the

'The Lord of the Rings
The Battle for
Middle-Earth
The 3rd Age'

icon thing in the top left of these forums for the link to the site.

Do you not think that your idea is quite similar to this one?
Posted Image

#4 lotrfan

lotrfan

title available

• Project Team
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:40 PM

It is somewhat, and I would like if we could work together.
There are a few differences I listed above, but still it is relatively early stages of development for everyone and everyone seems to be open to changes so we'll see how things go.
Posted Image

#5 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:58 PM

I'm going for vanilla. You, are not.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#6 Spartan184

Spartan184

:)

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts
  • Projects:Random Modding Projects
  •  Coder, Map.ini Coder, Mapper, and Beta Tester

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

whats with all this bfme 1 fever ?

Cause BFME1 is the best BFME game out there. But it lacks graphics so people want to port it over to BFME2 Engine, for it to look nicer :)

safsignature.png

#7 lotrfan

lotrfan

title available

• Project Team
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:37 PM

Vanilla?
Posted Image

#8 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

(facepalm)

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#9 lotrfan

lotrfan

title available

• Project Team
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:39 AM

Still not getting the vanilla facepalm thing.

Btw, I think I will need an extra day or two on the mod.
Things are starting to work out, but I simply need more time.

You can't rush greatness! :p
Posted Image

#10 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

Good point... :p
Vanilla means - original/unchanged :p
Ridder Geel

#11 Puzzler33

Puzzler33
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:05 PM

Not a very logical name for it...
Posted Image

#12 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:03 PM

...true, I dont know why they call it vanilla, maybe cuz of ice cream? :p
Ridder Geel

#13 Spartan184

Spartan184

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:55 PM

Yea cause, plain old ice cream is vanilla :p makes sense doesn't it?

safsignature.png

#14 drogoth232

drogoth232

What a shame

• Members
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:01 PM

Yeah... Sure... :p

(From Chowder) Of course! The spoons go in the spoons drawer! :p
Wait... what?

#15 Puzzler33

Puzzler33
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:42 PM

But vanilla isn't unflavoured ice cream -- it's vanilla ice cream. Not plain at all.
Posted Image

#16 Spartan184

Spartan184

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:26 PM

Well, when I ask my mommy :p for ice cream she gets me vanilla unless I say specifically say a flavor.

safsignature.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users