160 replies to this topic

#61 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:21 AM

Did you pay him with a lifetime supply of cement shoes? Pity you don't need to pay royalties for live performances or could start suing the crowds...

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#62 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:11 AM

Yay,advancing bit-by-bit.

Few days ago I was nr. 19,now I'm 16 :D

#63 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

Landypants to the rescue for the USA!

EDIT: just thought I'd throw this out there for you who are across the pond... we won the group :D

Edited by Copaman, 23 June 2010 - 04:30 PM.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

#64 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

Next up, can Australia come not last in theirs? Or can Ghana save England from having to face Germany?

#65 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore
  •  Misanthropic Hulking Adonis

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:52 PM

What I love most of all, is the fact that North Korea play in the world cup.

They have about 20 supports in the stands, who are paid...and probably there under duress. I think that their number 1 player is actually from Japan.....

What ever the outcome, I find it amusing that the Kim Jong will tell the people of North Korea that they won, and they'll all believe him. He might as well say they hosted the final on the moon and the winning goal was actually caused by one of the players exploding.
Posted Image
CnC Guild - As ancient as time itself.
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

Latest Remix Escalation on ModDB
Remix Escalation on Revora - Track the latest news and changes.

#66 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:02 PM

The red team with Cristiano Ronaldo was North Korea... what do you think? :D :p ;)

Too bad that today I've lost the 100%.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#67 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:06 PM

Next up, can Australia come not last in theirs? Or can Ghana save England from having to face Germany?

Ghana and Serbia need to win. US would play the Serbs, I'll take that matchup way before US-Ghana or US-Germany.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

#68 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:13 PM

I can't believe the US are still in it. They don't even know how to spell futbol, football, or soccer.

#69 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:17 PM

Whereas now England get Germany. We're going to lose so hard it's not even funny. We've got all these great players, but somehow they combine to be a really shit team. What we should have done is:
1) Picked Darren Bent instead of Emile Heskey.
2) Picked Adam Johnson instead of Shaun Wright-Phillips.
3) Played as a 4-3-3 with Carrick and Barry holding the midfield and Gerrard free to roam wherever he wants and Rooney, Crouch and Defoe up front to score from everywhere. We'd also have Johnson on the bench to mix things up a bit and beat the shit out of defenders, because he's young, confident and in form and so can do everything much better than Gerrard if he's forced out on the wing.
4) Put Joe Hart in goal from the beginning. You only have to look at the Premiership table to see that he's the most consistent and reliable of our three goalkeepers.

Anyway, yeah, with a more attacking formation, we'd have scored more, which is the best way not to lose or draw against Algeria, which is still embarrassing. Of course, not as embarrassing as Italy drawing against New Zealand, but still. New Zealand for the cup!
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#70 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:54 PM

Was listening on the ol' online digital radiotron, it was intense! Felt so damn patriotic I even changed my tip to Australia for the next game!

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE, Sill going home...

#71 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:51 AM

I'd just like to point out that until Australia had to go and beat Serbia, I had 12 in a row, not counting draws. Jeeves, I think that entitles me to a triple hat-trick medal. :D
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#72 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:03 AM

Not quite, because it does count draws :D Also just fixed a bug in it whereby it was sorting through your results by tip number, not match number. This lead to me getting a silver hat-trick from tipping Argentina and South Africa, when I lost my tip against Mexico thus breaking my streak first. Not sure if anyone else was affected, but fixed now, and as of this moment CJ and Alathar are the only peeps with silver hats on.

Theres also only one gold and and one silver tip out there, but if Bansh can maintain his percentage he'll be the next as soon as he clocks up the required MP. And three silver luck trophies, but mine would be gold if 5% less people had tipped Aussieland!

#73 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:35 AM

Today I've messed up twice. I really though the british was so bad that Slovenia would beat it..

And, for Australia, I was really surprised that they've won the match against Serbia.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#74 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:48 AM

Didn't we all! Has Defoe been knighted yet? >.< He'll be able to go home receive the honor's once Paul McCartney's gay evil twin books him a flight home.

#75 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:12 AM

Whereas now England get Germany. We're going to lose so hard it's not even funny. We've got all these great players, but somehow they combine to be a really shit team. What we should have done is:
1) Picked Darren Bent instead of Emile Heskey.
2) Picked Adam Johnson instead of Shaun Wright-Phillips.
3) Played as a 4-3-3 with Carrick and Barry holding the midfield and Gerrard free to roam wherever he wants and Rooney, Crouch and Defoe up front to score from everywhere. We'd also have Johnson on the bench to mix things up a bit and beat the shit out of defenders, because he's young, confident and in form and so can do everything much better than Gerrard if he's forced out on the wing.
4) Put Joe Hart in goal from the beginning. You only have to look at the Premiership table to see that he's the most consistent and reliable of our three goalkeepers.

Anyway, yeah, with a more attacking formation, we'd have scored more, which is the best way not to lose or draw against Algeria, which is still embarrassing. Of course, not as embarrassing as Italy drawing against New Zealand, but still. New Zealand for the cup!

1) Bent's done nothing in an England shirt. Heskey was part of a very successful qualifying campaign.
2) Johnson should be there
3) The formation we used in the first two matches worked very well in qualifying
4) Do you remember the last time we played an inexperienced keeper in an important match? That was Scott Carson. Hart will start the Euro 2012 qualifiers later this year, but now is too soon.
Posted Image

#76 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:35 AM

1) Heskey has scored two goals all season and been dropped from the Aston Villa first team. He's looked out of sorts, lacked confidence and has never been a prolific goalscorer anyway. Bent, on the other hand, has had a 25-goal season with Sunderland and ended the season in excellent form, which I think he could have carried over to the England squad. He should at least have been tried out again Japan and Mexico.
2) Glad you agree. He's been the sharpest part of the Man City squad since he joined.
3) Yes, it worked very well against inferior opposition and, that one time, against Croatia. But now we're playing opponents at our level it isn't working at all. Goalless against Algeria, awkward and unimpressive against Japan and Mexico. That signals something has to change.
4) Joe Hart is a better goalkeeper than Scott Carson. Carson had a good year and got rushed into an England shirt for an important game, and he lost to his nerves. Hart has already had a couple of caps and proved himself more than capable. Although my real grievance against Capello's choice is that Rob Green was included at all, let alone as first choice. He's had a leaky, error-strewn season at West Ham, and I don't understand why anyone was surprised that he messed up so badly against the USA. Since he left Norwich, he's just not been the same. I would have picked James, Hart and Robinson. Either way, Joe Hart will be a big part of England's future.

@ Jeeves: Have there actually been nine consecutive matched without a draw? And how am I supposed to account for that when there's no way to tip for a draw? I call shenanigans on that. Bring me my trophy! :p

#77 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:53 AM

Today I've messed up twice. I really though the british was so bad that Slovenia would beat it..

And, for Australia, I was really surprised that they've won the match against Serbia.

Same here.

BTW,did anyone see the vuvuzela YouTube button at videos? :p

Posted Image

#78 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:29 AM

Its a global competition with over 100 different teams... I hope I'm not supposed to know who that is out of the 10,000 players.

It'll probably die down once America gets kicked out

It better... I'm seeing these blasted plastic horns all over the place imported from the fowl bowels of South Africa. Apparently Americans like to blow in one note irritable plastic tubes whenever they claim victory in a sock-foot match. The next one who I see with one of these horns gets a quick trip to hell...

#79 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:57 PM

Pfft, you exaggerate. Each team can only pick 23 players, so of the 204 entrants (205 if you count Bhutan, who joined late and left early) thats only 4,692 (or 4,715) players. So yes, you are expected to know most of them.

Vort, pretty sure there hasn't been yet, but current streak is 5 if you picked Argentina, England, USA, Germany and Oz! But no more draws from Saturday, so I only expected it to come in during the finals. Defeat the point a bit if you could just every trophy immediately. Though pretty sure NOBODY will get the winning a tip with 85% tipping against, 80% against for Australia will likely be the record. And if you have ideas for better trophies I'd be happy to consider them! Thought about consistency for holding a spot on the leaderboard for a period but dunno how to write a query for that :p

#80 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:56 PM

Seems to be the case, but it's come up as a double hat-trick for me anyway. Meh, no complaints here. If you'd picked Serbia over Germany or Switzerland over Spain you'd have got the 85% against score. Nobody expected those.

There's no limit to the players teams can use in qualifying, so if we're going to count the tiny nations that didn't make it to the finals, we have to go much higher. Argentina used, like, a hundred players in their campaign.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users