160 replies to this topic

#81 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

Well wasn't quite expecting that the happen! In fact, there was exactly one vote for Slovakia, and the golden-fluke trophy is brought into play. What the hell. And New Zealand go home undefeated! Good on 'em, but madness all the same.
Unfortunately I can't stay up all night (2:03am atm) to observe the rest, just hope I don't wake up to a nasty shock!

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#82 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:00 PM

Holy crap what a day. Slovakia-Italy was one of, if not the best game of the World Cup so far. And I was really expecting Denmark to beat Japan, given how they played against Cameroon. But no, Japan are looking awesome. Especially that dude Honda. Someone big's going to sign him at the end of the summer.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#83 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:30 AM

I was sure I'd tipped Japan, they were clearly in form... Damn und blast. Do you mean someone big like CSKA? Liverpool, Everton, PSV and Ajax bid for him in January, Moscow payed €6m for him.

#84 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:04 AM

And to think he played past year for VVV Venlo, some third-range club in the Dutch competition...
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#85 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:18 AM

Wow, he chose Moscow over Ajax or Liverpool? I mean, fair enough not wanting to go to Liverpool, they have no manager and have had a rubbish season, but Ajax or PSV are great sides in a great league. But if he keeps on playing like that I don't think it'll be long before he ends up somewhere like Arsenal, Juventus or wherever. Probably somewhere just below the league winners, but in with a shot. I don't think Inter or Chelsea or Barcelona would sign him when they can pay God knows how much for anyone they want.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#86 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:18 AM

They're probably kicking themselves they didn't bid more now!

And for those playing along at home, €6m is more than the value of the entire A-League. Y'know, the Australian thing with the Kiwi team. Y'know, that team only for whom only half the New Zealand national squad are good enough to play for.

Sorry Italy, France, you don't have any excuses for dropping out!

#87 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

It's also weird he declined the offer of Ajax... With him being already familiar with the Dutch competition and already living there, one would think he'd accept it anytime. Ah well, Japanese...
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#88 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

1) Heskey has scored two goals all season and been dropped from the Aston Villa first team. He's looked out of sorts, lacked confidence and has never been a prolific goalscorer anyway. Bent, on the other hand, has had a 25-goal season with Sunderland and ended the season in excellent form, which I think he could have carried over to the England squad. He should at least have been tried out again Japan and Mexico.
2) Glad you agree. He's been the sharpest part of the Man City squad since he joined.
3) Yes, it worked very well against inferior opposition and, that one time, against Croatia. But now we're playing opponents at our level it isn't working at all. Goalless against Algeria, awkward and unimpressive against Japan and Mexico. That signals something has to change.
4) Joe Hart is a better goalkeeper than Scott Carson. Carson had a good year and got rushed into an England shirt for an important game, and he lost to his nerves. Hart has already had a couple of caps and proved himself more than capable. Although my real grievance against Capello's choice is that Rob Green was included at all, let alone as first choice. He's had a leaky, error-strewn season at West Ham, and I don't understand why anyone was surprised that he messed up so badly against the USA. Since he left Norwich, he's just not been the same. I would have picked James, Hart and Robinson. Either way, Joe Hart will be a big part of England's future.

@ Jeeves: Have there actually been nine consecutive matched without a draw? And how am I supposed to account for that when there's no way to tip for a draw? I call shenanigans on that. Bring me my trophy! :p

1) Heskey isn't there to score, he's there to bring out the best in others. It's the 'best team not best 11 players' approach

3) It worked twice against Croatia.
Posted Image

#89 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:20 PM

1) OK, and if he'd done that I'd be happy for him to be there. However, he has not, and in the two games in which he featured most prominently, England were awful. Coincidence? Perhaps. Perhaps not. The only nation I've seen the 'best team' approach work for is Holland.

3) So it did. My mistake.

#90 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:17 AM

Aaaaaand NOW you can check out other users and see their trophies, rating, and tipping history. If you're logged in, you'll also see your tips, so you can see where your rival gained or lost marks over you.

#91 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:46 PM

Jeeves, unless I'm just really sleep deprived, you registered USA as beating Ghana. And, Ghana won.

Also, if you want another improvement idea I wouldn't mind being able to click on a match and see everybody's tip for it.

Edited by Devon, 27 June 2010 - 05:30 PM.

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#92 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

Jeeves, unless I'm just really sleep deprived, you registered USA as beating Ghana. And, Ghana won.

Also, if you want another improvement idea I wouldn't mind being able to click on a match and see everybody's tip for it.

1.YEAH.I want mah second tropheh!
2.No.Just how many/how % have tipped.But,I guess its better without.

#93 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:42 PM

You are sleep deprived :p You can see the percentages, and if you click players you can compare your tipping history. I might add a list of tippers but I felt it was more meaningful if you're just comparing to a rival, rather than just scattered names.

#94 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:54 AM

I know you can see percentages, but if I have like three rivals, it'd be nice to be able to compare them all at once.

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#95 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:12 PM

Hah.Getting closer and closer to nr. 1. :p

#96 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:43 PM

As am I. Up to #4 now, and Star Player. Although I'm still a whole 1% off that 65% right medal, which is irritating. Let's hope I've got tomorrow's games right too.

#97 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:48 AM

Ha.I got a 75% one :thumbsupdrool:

#98 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

Argh, didn't predict yesterdays results which would have been two correct predictions if I had of done. 7th though so not bad.
Posted Image

#99 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

Crap, I forgot to tip 31 matches! No wonder I'm 14th!

#100 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:56 PM

I wonder if I'm the only one picking Portugal today.

yodasig2.png
My political compass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users