• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:01 AM

I recently had a virus, but it was nothing extreme. A simple scan managed to kill it successfully. However it seems to have affected my computer even more so. I'm not sure, because there are no other signs of this virus remaining except this one. And I'm not even sure if they're related.

Anyways, so prior to having the virus I was using Google Chrome. Though I do have Firefox installed and use it once and a while. Now, Google Chrome will not connect to the internet. I thought perhaps it was a software issue, and a re-install would be in order. But then I noticed that this problem was not specific to Google Chrome. Whenever I log into my steam account I get errors saying that steam cannot connect to the server. Other users will know when I say that Steam also contains a web browser. Which, as pointed to by the server connection errors, cannot connect either. Though I can still connect to the friends list. And I can communicate with my friends.

Also, Internet Explorer does not work. I first noticed this, because my Windows Live Messenger will not sign on anymore. Once again, connection issues. So, I tried opening the browser (I NEVER use Internet Explorer if I can avoid it. But I figured I'd try) Guess what... Nothing. Cannot connect.

Though the ticker is, Firefox works fine.

I tried going through the windows features to diagnose the problem. But of course, windows sucks. And cannot give me what I want. I googled it, nothing...

Anyways, anybody have any ideas?

Off topic- I noticed that 'googled' isn't technically a word, but in this modern day and age where Google is an everyday word, you'd think sooner or later 'googled' will be a real word. :p

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#2 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:59 AM

Sounds like a vital DLL got fried, but Firefox doesn't use it. I had the same thing happen to me a really long time ago on Windows 98. There was only one solution - reinstall Windows.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#3 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:39 PM

Uhg. If that is the case, then it will be the 3rd windows re-install in a year. It's a royal pain in the ass.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:36 PM

Stop using Windows :p

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#5 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:47 PM

Linux isn't that hard to use :p
Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#6 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

I am aware, I have a lot of experience with Linux. Problem is, I am addicted to the software and programs that are generally only available on Windows.

#7 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

If you have a lot of experience with Linux then certainly you've found replacements? Games are really the only reason I still have a Win7 install. So I just dual boot for that and use Linux for regular use.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#8 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:56 PM

Games and Adobe software
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#9 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:50 PM

Indeed. I just never bothered to set up a dual boot. Windows 7 is wonderful in many ways. Although it is still Microsoft.

Haha, wanna hear an awesome oxymoron?

Microsoft Works

#10 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:51 PM

Games and Adobe software

Well yeah, any top notch professional graphics and video software actually. Then again, the amount of people who ultimately need that amount of power is rather small, I'd say. Also, if you need a certain OS for work, then it should be a no-brainer.

Edited by Phil, 17 June 2010 - 07:07 PM.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#11 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:06 PM

Haha, wanna hear an awesome oxymoron?

Microsoft Works

Nice one. Although to be fair, they have been doing a pretty decent job recently, especially with Windows 7. The main problem lies with stupid users ("Oooh, what's that evilvirus.exe thing do? Let's double click!", bad practices (like running stuff in admin accounts by default) and 20 years of backwards compatibility for business use.

They should simply do what Apple did and build a new system on top of something solid like BSD, then provide well-integrated VMs for backwards compatibility. A new operating system for the next decade, engineered from the ground up. That's unlikely to happen though because that would be extremely expensive to code and would mean throwing away millions worth of existing code.
Wow, imagine that, a Unix-based Windows. Making programs run on Windows, OS X and Linux would be a piece of cake (well, more or less).

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#12 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:10 PM

I agree with that, and also agree that Windows 7 is a very solid OS considering. Vista, was a joke. I'm glad they decided to use the more stable XP as a foundation for 7.

#13 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:39 PM

What do they all have in common? They all use the system internet configuration, rather than prancing about using its own like FF, which is a massive pain if you need to use proxies - you can install dozens of plugins, but you shouldn't have to define proxies in every application known to man.

Open Internet Options, and nose about. Particularly LAN settings. Try changing off "Automatically detect settings," close it, reopen and switch back, and run an "ipconfig -renew"
Should cover most bases if there's nothing immediately wrong. There's also connection troubleshooter, but it'll try the same thing, with more prompts.

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#14 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:18 AM

I'm glad they decided to use the more stable XP as a foundation for 7.

Except they built W7 on Vista, not XP.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#15 Destroyer

Destroyer

Byte me

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Projects:Having fun
  •  Just this guy, you know?

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:57 PM

Linux isn't that hard to use :p

Windows isn't that hard to use either. How the hell do you keep breaking it, Kwen? :)

#16 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

I'm glad they decided to use the more stable XP as a foundation for 7.

Except they built W7 on Vista, not XP.

Did they? I thought they didn't. Ohh well, shows how much I know.

#17 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

From media centre edition, to eliminate even more crap.

#18 Spartan184

Spartan184

:)

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts
  • Projects:Random Modding Projects
  •  Coder, Map.ini Coder, Mapper, and Beta Tester

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:52 AM

WoW this is fucken weird, I'm having the same problem, I just now decided to use IE to check something and it wouldn't connect to the internet, and neither will opera or chrome but firefox works fine. Kwen did you manage to fix it? If so how?

safsignature.png

#19 Spartan184

Spartan184

:)

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts
  • Projects:Random Modding Projects
  •  Coder, Map.ini Coder, Mapper, and Beta Tester

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

Kwen I have found a fix that works for me, and If you want to try it post here.

safsignature.png

#20 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:22 AM

Well you're essentially just being a twat if you don't post your fix. If someone mentions a problem, and you have a solution, share it. Even if Kwen's fixed it, if anyone has the problem in future and see this thread, sure they'd rather read how to fix it than know someone knew how but didn't want to tell anyone.
Give it a week and Kwen'll probably brake it again either way! :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users