#81 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:40 AM

There's no point me voting in South West Hertfordshire - always has been, and always will be, fiercely Tory. I believe my little village is somewhat Liberal, but the surrounding duchies, mansions and landlord estates have voted the same way since 1950.

I live in the Henley constituency of Oxfordshire. Or at least, that's where I'm registered to vote. We've only had one non-Tory MP in the entire history of elections, and he only lasted one term, which was from 1906-1910. When Boris Johnson became Mayor of London and we had a by-election, a lot of people thought we might have an opportunity to change something, but then the Tory candidate won by more than 10'000 votes, and then stayed elected by more than 17'000. I had to check Wikipedia to even know his name, but that's just how this system works. I agree with Ash: this is not a democracy.

Same where I live. The vast majority of Yorkshire is secure Labour territory. The only seat that isn't that I know of is Sheffield Hallam, which is Lib Dem, and York which I believe is actually Tory. The MPs and councillors couldn't give a hoot what the people want. If they did, they'd ask occasionally. Uber-secure seats like ours are met with supreme disinterest by the representatives; they know they're theirs and that's it. I wouldn't be surprised if it came out in years to come that many were fixed.

I don't doubt that they're planning on making a bust of Machiavelli to be the fifth statue in the House of Commons. The parties can never give a good enough answer to not adopting PR, except that it would form 'weak, unstable and uncooperative coalitions' - hmm.

What, just like the one we've got now? Cleggy seems to be cooperating just fine. I love how we accidentally didn't vote for the government we've actually got. We accidentally put a total snob in charge of nearly ten million people who live below the poverty line on benefits, and thirty million more barely surviving on a living wage thanks to high inflation and absurd taxation.

Well, the last member in the House of Lords to be Prime Minister was Lord Salisbury at the start of the 20th Century, but I agree that their privileged position are entirely unwarranted.

The precedent still exists, and could technically still be used. Can you imagine a government under Mandelson? Jesus Christ there'd be death squads stalking the streets!

Well, at least in Britain, the Queen doesn't have any political power, unlike in Holland... Here, she decides which person will lead the coalition forming process, who has great influence in the decision which coalition will ultimately be formed. On top of that she earns millions a year, everything she buys is paid by the working tax payer, has private jets and huge landhouses all over the world, and is one of the richest women on Earth. Purely because of her birthright and a couple of groundlaws, which means we'll probably be stuck with her and her family forever.

Those are basically the same rights afforded to our monarchy.

And even if we get to manage a decent government through a decent election process, it won't help at all. The Netherlands have given away far too many rights to the European Union, who now decide for us how to run the country. Of course, the leading figures of the EU aren't democtatically chosen.

Correctomundo. Same deal in the UK, unfortunately.

#82 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:54 AM

/off-topic:

A muslim reality show?, a nominee for "muslima of the year"? ...

Posted Image

... or just some "moderate" extremist in disguise?

... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#83 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:11 PM

"There is no humor in Islam. There is no fun in Islam. There can be no fun and joy in whatever is serious."

The Fate of 11 Aspiring Jihadists from Germany.

In early 2009, a number of eager Islamists living in Hamburg, who worshipped at the same mosque as some of the 9/11 terrorists, decided to head to Afghanistan to volunteer for jihad. They fancied themselves fierce warriors, but they turned out to be major failures.

They were 11 of them in all, nine angry men and two of their wives, and they all wanted to fight against the occupiers. But waging jihad can be hard -- especially if you're overweight or have been spoiled by your mother. When they set off for Afghanistan from Hamburg in early 2009, they were brimming with enthusiasm about vanquishing the oppressor. As time wore on, though, their new home became very uncomfortable.

The Lure of Jihad

Members of the group ranged in age from 21 to 55. Most of them hadn't accomplished much in professional terms. In fact, one was a former junkie, one was a failed businessman with a crazed brother and another was a pothead with a criminal record. Many of them were unemployed. Intelligence officials don't believe there was any particular ringleader, nor have they been able to figure out exactly who came up with the idea of waging jihad. But suddenly, in the winter of 2008, all of them were burning with excitement to do so.

For them, life seemed to have some meaning now. They shared a common goal. And there, in Afghanistan, they could make heroes of themselves. They figured they would be welcomed by their Afghan brothers in faith.

The Many Roads to War

Their plan called for them to split up into four small groups. On February 4, Assadullah Muslih was the first to board a plane. Muslih, who was born in Kabul [...] was the man with connections in the war zone -- the jihadist smuggler. [...]

On March 9, the last three men in the group had intended to make their way from Hamburg to the war. There was the Kazakh Michael W., the Russian Alexander J. and Mohammad M., an Iranian. But they didn't get far. Police seized Mohammad M.'s passport before he had a chance to leave Frankfurt Airport. And security officials stopped the other two in Vienna after finding a sheet of paper with a "Code of Conduct for Jihad" in one of their bags. [...] When they arrived in Pakistan, the police were already waiting for them. They were thrown in jail and quickly sent back to Hamburg.

Of the 11, these three didn't even reach their goal. And Muslih, the jihadist smuggler, disappeared without a trace. At 55, he was the oldest of the bunch, and chances are he never really wanted to fight anyway. Of the remaining seven, two were wives of the would-be warriors. Eventually, they all met up in Mir Ali, a town in Pakistan's lawless North Waziristan region -- Taliban country.

Germans Experience Jihadist's Remorse

It isn't necessarily the case that the Islamic Jihad Union, the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan and the other splinter groups in Afghanistan and Pakistan were eagerly awaiting these five men and two women from Hamburg, even if the new arrivals from Germany were highly motivated. One might ask what they could have done with a handful of guys who had led comfortable, fairly inactive lives in their German apartments. Bedridden, feverish and afflicted with diarrhea, they were probably more of a burden than a boon to jihad.

According to all accounts provided by those who have come back, when new would-be jihadists arrive, the Afghan commanders get particularly excited about one thing: their travel funds. Recruits are required to pay for their rifles and grenades out of their own pockets. And laptops, binoculars and warm jackets are happily accepted as tender. In other respects too, there tends to be a sharp contrast between the expectations that the two groups have for each other in the field. [...] For the group that left Hamburg in February and March 2009, Afghanistan was nothing less than a prelude to paradise, in which warriors and martyrs were required to prove their worth. And, at least in the early stages, the dust in their mouths still bore the taste of adventure.

Diminishing Enthusiasm

For the five men and two women from Hamburg, the jihadist lifestyle turned out to be harder -- and more expensive -- than they had anticipated. Before long, they had to pay for their own food and accommodation. With increasing frequency, their parents, relatives and friends would receive letters asking if they could perhaps send along €500 ($700).

Likewise, winters in the Hindu Kush region can get really cold. For days and weeks on end, the would-be jihadists had to do without meat, bathrooms and warm showers. And then they had to sit around with Uzbeks without being able to understand a single word they said. During their telephone calls and in their e-mails back home, they sounded less and less enthusiastic and more and more discouraged about waging jihad. Rami M., for example, the overweight one, would complain about having to march for long distances with a heavy weapon on his shoulder.

The first of the jihadi dropouts was the 23-year-old younger brother of Ahmad Sidiqi. Like Rami, he really wasn't much of a help to his comrades in arms. At the beginning of the year, he traveled back to Hamburg to stay with his parents, where he has been recovering from his exertions.

Spilling the Beans

And Sidiqi's brother wasn't the only one. After all the hardships, others from the original group also wanted to return to their comfortable former lives. In June, Pakistani police picked up Rami M. as he was making his way to the German Embassy in Islamabad. He was wearing a burqa as a disguise, and he had a broken leg. Rami M. is now back in Germany, where he is being held in the town of Weiterstadt in the state of Hesse. There, in hopes of receiving a lighter sentence, he has been eagerly sharing with investigators everything he knows about this exhausting war.

In July, the elder Sidiqi was arrested by US forces in Kabul. Once in captivity, he also started providing his interrogators with a wealth of details, including information about alleged meetings with high-ranking al-Qaida members. It is currently not clear whether he will be extradited to Germany.

According to reports from Pakistan, Shahab Dashti and Naamen Meziche were killed in a US drone attack on Mir Ali. [...] The only people left from the original group are the two women, both of whom are now pregnant.

Source: Disillusionment in Afghanistan

#84 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:48 PM

Muslim Reality Show update:

Today was the day of the aggrieved parties in the political trial against dutch politician Geert Wilders; in the clip below the plaintiff, who is representing various Muslim organizations in Holland and laying the criminal charges against Mr. Wilders, shows his contempt for all things Dutch (among other statements he has labeled them as "aboriginals"):

As an afterthought, the guy “dancing through the courtroom” reminds me a lot of this moment from Monty Python:

#85 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:49 PM

Funny, but irrelevant. Everybody sees how idiotic that guy Elain behaves and I don't think the court will seriously consider anything he says.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#86 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:23 PM

Namo, you should get yourself a blog.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#87 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:52 PM

I offered him a spot at GNP but he said he was too busy.

#88 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:54 PM

No, I mean an off-site blog. I am getting tired of these posts.

#89 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:49 AM

Lighten up. Conservatives are outnumbered at least 10-1 at Revora. I've been living with those odds since 2003. I dig a lot of the videos he posts. It's nice to see SOMEBODY posting stuff I agree with. All the rest of the conservatives were chased away years ago. Though I'm not sure if Namo is conservative or not. I shouldn't speak on his behalf.

Also, if the post doesn't interest you, than why bother replying to it. Just move on...

#90 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:03 AM

Not all of the conservatives were chased away, I'm still here.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#91 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:50 PM

WARNING: Christmas time approaching.

Sweden has just experienced its first (but probably not the last) suicide terrorist attack. Luckily only the suicide bomber got killed. Recent history shows, that at Christmas time crowds of merry people are popular targets.

O Muslims!
Celebrating the holidays and the occasions of the Kuffar is certainly Haram. You are not permitted to do it. Nor are your rulers allowed to make these (Kufr) holidays as official holidays, since it is an imitation of the Kuffar.

Imitating the Kuffar in any of their religious affairs or in any gesture that distinguishes them as groups is forbidden. Al-Bukhari narrated in his Sahih (book) that Abu Saeed Al-Khudri reported that Allah's Messenger said: "You will indeed follow the ways of those before you, hand span by hand span, and an arms length after another. Even if they enter into a lizards hole, you will follow them. We asked, is it the Jews and the Christians? He replied, Who else!"

This hadith condemns imitating them. It is a proof for the prohibitions of imitating the Jews and the Christians in their occasions, symbols, or any matter related to their belief.

Celebrating the holidays of the kuffar is an act of imitation which is forbidden in Islam. Allah's Messenger warned us against it. At-Tirmidhi narrated that Ibn Abbas reported that the Prophet said: "He is not one of us who imitates other than us. Do not imitate the Jews or the Christians.

source Khalifah.com

#92 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:53 AM

Yeh a pathetic attempt at suicide bombing in Scandinavia, no big surprise that it happened. And also as expected the competence was lacking.

I really loved the sketch some local comedians did on this where they played extremist organizators that were hopelessly trying to recruit muslims for suicide-bombings, but since every muslim preferred to live a happy and lazy scandinavian life involving large amounts of money and acceptable working conditions, they didn't get any. "Come on, you have a few minutes after work tomorrow, it will be quick!" "But Letterman starts on TV at 7".

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#93 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:14 AM

"You will indeed follow the ways of those before you, hand span by hand span, and an arms length after another. Even if they enter into a lizards hole, you will follow them. We asked, is it the Jews and the Christians? He replied, Who else!"

Is it just me or does that sound more like Mohammed was asking for tolerance? 'You will follow the ways of the Christians and the Jews' surely means that their ways are actually pretty okay by him?
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#94 Ganon

Ganon

What's this?

• Project Team
  • 967 posts
  • Projects:My Link Mod
  •  Code Scientist

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:58 PM

"Even if they enter into a lizards hole, you will follow them."

Is it just me or does that sound more like Mohammed was asking for tolerance? 'You will follow the ways of the Christians and the Jews' surely means that their ways are actually pretty okay by him?

I'm pretty sure that the whole thing with the lizard's hole is supposed to be negative...
Kinda like, "If someone said jump off a bridge, would you do it?"

Just my opinion.

Edited by Ganon2020, 12 December 2010 - 03:00 PM.

#95 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:24 PM

What if the lizard's hole is full of gold, food and willing virgins? Did Mohammed specify that?

Also, the point is more that he seems to be instructing them to follow, rather than saying 'this is what you're doing now, you bunch of morons. Stop it'.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#96 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:42 PM

Well in light of this shocking revelation into religious intolerance and inability to accept others' ways of living, I'll scrub Mustafa Muhammed Akbar Al-Islam off my Christmas Card list. He isn't coming around for turkey either. :p

#97 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

I'm pretty sure turkey is haram, so no worries there.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#98 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:07 PM

I don't think fowl is forbidden...

It's always amazed me, a supreme cosmic being worrying about us eating certain kinds of food. It just goes to show how much he really cares.

Edited by Matias, 12 December 2010 - 10:08 PM.

#99 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:13 AM

Only a "she" would really care what you eat...

#100 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:46 AM

Bacon sends people to hell... fact of life we all must adapt to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users