• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:52 AM

Here I present a quick look at a new upgrade for Elves. I'm not fond of the idea of Fire Arrows for elves, as they as a culture would have a very weak stomach for burning things... Or perhaps it's just a pet peeve of mine... meh, I have a lot of them. Anyways, as a replacement I've decided to add the upgrade; Lorien Fletching.

Now, since my faction is basically the alliance of Elves as a whole the Lorien Fletching will be available to the Mirkwood Scouts and Rivendell Riders (Horse archers) as well as the Galadhrim and the Lorien Archers.

The upgrade will grant an increase in range, as impressively well crafted arrows would do. And an increase of pierce damage.

Here is a quick preview of what the units will look like when granted the upgrade. (The original arrow design will be the default, and when the upgrade is purchased, they will be switched out with the Lorien ones.)
It should be very noticeable in game, and easy to determine which are upgraded and which aren't.

Attached Thumbnails

• lorien.jpg

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#2 Spartan184

Spartan184

:)

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts
  • Projects:Random Modding Projects
  •  Coder, Map.ini Coder, Mapper, and Beta Tester

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:43 AM

Are those the Galadhrim? If they are, Yes you made them have long elven bows :D And Also cool upgrade, something very cool :p

safsignature.png

#3 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:15 AM

Agreed, a nice variant from the stereotype :p

#4 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:20 AM

Nice. Elven likes.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#5 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:32 AM

Lauri too

I hope the arrows in the quiver will change aswell? :p

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#6 drogoth232

drogoth232

What a shame

• Members
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:18 PM

It looks nice! :p
Drogoth likes!
Wait... what?

#7 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:18 PM

Lauri too

I hope the arrows in the quiver will change aswell? :p

Aye, the un upgraded version has the old style arrows, both knocked and in the quiver. You can see the Lorien Arrows in the quiver in that pic above as well.

This is default:

Attached Thumbnails

• lor2.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#8 Spartan184

Spartan184

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:39 PM

About how much do you think the upgrades gonna cost?

safsignature.png

#9 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:49 PM

I'm thinking 800 for the tech and 400 for the unit. But then It all comes down to balance in the end, so who knows.

#10 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:09 PM

Very cool kwen!

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#11 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:22 AM

A little update on this topic. Here are some in game screens showing off this feature a little bit.

Bear with me here, the effects are subtle. I'm not a fan of things looking fake and unnatural, so this is meant to add a bit of realism, as well as creativity.

First you see the redone elves. What have I done you ask? I revamped the bow, made the arrows in the quiver/knocked match that of the standard arrow. (I hated how the arrows were always random textures) I have also remade the shooting animations to be the firing upright position. I hated the sideways shooting, and I feel that this fits the elves much better. They look better too. :crazed:

They are upgraded with heavy armor and banner carriers, nothing more. So you'll notice that in their quiver, knocked and drawn, and also airborne are the standard arrows.

Posted Image

Here, you'll see the elves with the Lorien Fletching upgrade. The arrows in the quiver, and the arrows knocked and drawn have been switched out. No longer the generic arrow, now they are the Lorien design. (It's sublte, as I said)

Posted Image

Now, here is another picture of the Elves with the Lorien Fletching upgrade applied. But you'll notice that I circled one of the arrows in flight. I have changed the texture to match that of the ones they are firing. So now if you have a sharp eye, you'll always know when your elves are attacking :ninja:

Posted Image

I suppose I could have made the shafts a bit larger so they would be more noticeable, but I think they will do. If you guys disagree, I'll change it.

Edited by Kwen, 03 August 2010 - 06:24 AM.
Forgot to mention the modified anim.

#12 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

tips: I would add the "wind" effect to them, like the Keep and Battle towers of Gondor get's when you upgrade the arrows at the stone forge.. That's what I did for my rangers :crazed:

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#13 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

Done. Thanks for the good suggestion!

#14 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

Looking good Kwen!

#15 drogoth232

drogoth232

What a shame

• Members
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:33 PM

Nice :)
Wait... what?

#16 Spartan184

Spartan184

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:47 PM

Very nice, this will look great in the HD map. But how come the banner carriers don't get the armor upgrade?

safsignature.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users