Dol Guldur Campaign

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Dragonzilla

Dragonzilla
  • New Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:40 PM

If you've seen the "Undead Necromancer Faction" aka Dol Guldur, what would the Campaign Missions be? You can use the normal Evil missions too.

#2 Taralom

Taralom

Self-proclaimed A**hole

• Project Team
  • 1,519 posts
  • Projects:Turned to Writing
  •  I R GOOGL'd

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:02 PM

You'd constantly be fighting against Elves of both Lothlorien and Mirkwood.
I'd start with a mission where you are in control of Dol Guldur, a bit like the BFME1 Isengard mission.
As for the rest, I can imagine a mission where you must maintain control of the forest road as some sort of border between your lands and that of the elves. I'll post when I come up with something :thumbsupsmiley:
If the above post offended you in any way,
please take note that, until further notice, I don't care, so get lost.

#3 Dragonzilla

Dragonzilla
  • New Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:16 AM

I've figured, use what was already there, so use the Mordor missions from the Evil Campaign, and only Mordor. No Goblin missions. Following what EA already came up in Evil Campaign, and a little from Taralom, this is what I came up with.

Mission 1: Dol Guldur?
Mission 2: Lothlorien?
Mission 3: Mirkwood (or Withered Heath)
Mission 4: Withered Heath (or Mirkwood)
Mission 5: Erebor?
Mission 6: Up for Debate
Mission 7: Up for Debate
Mission 8: Up for Debate

Edited by Dragonzilla, 05 September 2010 - 02:18 AM.

#4 Taralom

Taralom

Self-proclaimed A**hole

• Project Team
  • 1,519 posts
  •  I R GOOGL'd

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:24 AM

in real wars, you would go for Lothlorien first, since it's a constant threat in the back, but for gameplay/story issues I'd recommend putting Lothlorien in slot 7 or 8. It also gives you a chance to make Lothlorien a mission to remember. :thumbsupsmiley: That is, IF you are going to make it some sort of siege map?

#5 Dragonzilla

Dragonzilla
  • New Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:22 PM

Himm... true, true.

For what you suggested, Lothlorien would have to be bigger, and badder. I'm I right?

But if we do follow the books, Lothlorien would be assaulted as one of the first missions.

#6 Taralom

Taralom

Self-proclaimed A**hole

• Project Team
  • 1,519 posts
  •  I R GOOGL'd

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:16 AM

Why? Lothlorien was some sort of fortress of it's own. Guarded by thousands of elves willing to fight till the very end. If I was Sauron, I wouldn't send my rookie orcs in, but train them in real battle until I've got some serious fighting force.

#7 Dragonzilla

Dragonzilla
  • New Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:47 PM

Very True. So, Can you suppose a order of missions?

#8 Taralom

Taralom

Self-proclaimed A**hole

• Project Team
  • 1,519 posts
  •  I R GOOGL'd

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:15 AM

Mirkwood
-Dol Guldur
A regular, defend your primary fortress mission
-Gladden Fields
Looking for the Ring where it was lost by Isildur
-Mirkwood
Battling Elves under the trees (you'd need a mission like this at some point)
-The Old Forest Road
A fine border between the realm of Sauron and that of the elves
-Beyond the Mountains of Mirkwood
Getting Rid of the Mirkwood Elves for once and for all

Lothlorien Part
-East-lorien
A battle on the open plains against Elves and possible Rohirrim or Gondorians. Béornings could make an appearance.
-The Golden Forest
A battle deeper in the forest of Galadriel. (at this point, you could make a mission that is really tough, as a little appetizer before the final mission)
-Lothlorien
The final conflict against Galadriel and her elves

Remember, this is just a brainstorm and to be honest very, very, very tough to create. You'd need a new Dol Guldur faction first and then a mapper who can make tough, but not impossible maps. A player must feel like he has achieved something after the Mirkwood Part and the Lothlorien part should need several retries. That is the kind of campaign that I envision to be awesome.

Edited by Taralom, 08 September 2010 - 10:15 AM.

#9 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  • Projects:Wars of Arda, Dol Guldur--Unfinished Version, Expanded Helm's Deep with Glittering Caves
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:07 PM

I might be able to help with one or two maps, if these are the mission you want. I just need start paying attention to EA's campaign map tutorial.

I just have one problem with the gladden fields. since the ring has already been taken by gollum, it would seem to be a rather pointless mission. If it hasn't (for gameplay issues), then you would end up with Sauron as a starting character for every map afterwards (for story issues). Just to point that out.

Edited by Rokqua Shadowkin, 08 September 2010 - 06:08 PM.

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them.

Posted Image

#10 Taralom

Taralom

Self-proclaimed A**hole

• Project Team
  • 1,519 posts
  •  I R GOOGL'd

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:40 AM

I just have one problem with the gladden fields. since the ring has already been taken by gollum, it would seem to be a rather pointless mission. If it hasn't (for gameplay issues), then you would end up with Sauron as a starting character for every map afterwards (for story issues). Just to point that out.

The question here is: does sauron know that Gollum has the ring? Does he know that the Ring is no longer where it is lost? If he doesn't, than searching the gladden fields would be the first thing he'd ever do. He won't find it of course, since the ring is no longer there :thumbsupsmiley:

#11 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  • Projects:Wars of Arda, Dol Guldur--Unfinished Version, Expanded Helm's Deep with Glittering Caves
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:16 PM

True. What i meant by pointless is that it might be frustrating to players if they have to go searching for something that's not there. But i suppose it could be turned to the stories advantage, add a small twist to the mission, such as discovering a small strike force coming from Lorien to probe the defences of Dol Guldur. And maybe the fortress could be under construction during the first mission. Weakened defenses to make it a bit harder for the players.

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them.

Posted Image

#12 Dragonzilla

Dragonzilla
  • New Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:13 PM

Like not as much space, maybe all the space behind the Fortress can be still mountain, not yet carved or blown up. Not as much catapults?

#13 Taralom

Taralom

Self-proclaimed A**hole

• Project Team
  • 1,519 posts
  •  I R GOOGL'd

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:37 AM

I think he means like an unfinished wall segment, an unfinished gatehouse AND no catapults.

#14 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:43 PM

Plus tons of scaffolding everywhere, yeah. It would help make the level harder without adding way too many lorien or mirkwood units right at the start.

Posted Image

#15 Dragonzilla

Dragonzilla
  • New Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:19 AM

Thats whut I'm talkin about. Heres a list:

- No Signal Fires, at all.
- Scaffoldings, not as much building space.

+ No Side Entrances (Still Mountain); Able to focus more on frontal defense.

? More Spider nests

#16 Dragonzilla

Dragonzilla
  • New Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:29 AM

Thats whut I'm talkin about. Heres a list:

- No Signal Fires, at all.
- Scaffoldings, not as much building space.

+ No Side Entrances (Still Mountain); Able to focus more on frontal defense.

? More Spider nests

#17 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:17 AM

Hmmm. I don't have much time left over once i get through with my schoolwork/WoA mapping, but i think i can find some time to experiment on Dol Guldur and see if i can get it to work. So what kind of campaign do you want? do you want a hold out against constant seige for certain amount of time mission, or do you want a more skirmish-style mission?

Posted Image

#18 Dragonzilla

Dragonzilla
  • New Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:00 AM

If only more mappers would see this forum *hint, hint*

#19 Retharias

Retharias
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  •  Mapper for WoA

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:01 AM

Well, you might be happy to know that i started making the Dol Guldur 1st Campaign. The old side entrances are mostly sealed off, and now can only be used by the player as some kind of potentially fortefied garrison. Once the mapping work is done, i'll start working on the scripting. Once it's mostly finished, i'll try to make a video to show the outline. If that doesn't work, then i'll post screenshots.

Posted Image

#20 Dragonzilla

Dragonzilla
  • New Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:07 PM

Sounds good

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users