Zomba Productions - Click here!
Posted Image

#2 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:48 AM

Actually, my country would have a big need of those things.

No really, like 1000 people die here a year due to road accidents IIRC.

Also, the hole ones - are IMO absolutely necessary. At least those.

#3 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:31 AM

What's the point? People will be freaked for a bit, and then realise they aren't real and then they'll just go over. Then when they see a real kid they'll drive over it just as happily.

It'd be even worse if they made speed bump art with cops - they'd drive faster. And then bang the car into reverse just to make sure.

Here's a better solution: FLATTEN THE FUCKERS BACK DOWN TO BE LIKE THE REST OF THE ROAD. They are ruinous to car suspension and they hamper drivers driving at the speed limit of the area just as badly as those exceeding it. Speed limit: 30mph - can't get above 10 because of the fucking bumps. How is that right? And those that are three mounds in the road with gaps in between are even worse. Little cars like mine have to bang the anchors on and still get their suspensions bowed outwards, while big cars can just straddle them and go as fast as they want.

Romanul: Simplest answer for your country is to teach people how to drive better. :thumbsupsmiley:

#4 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:08 AM

You know what the most effective means of speed control is? Parked cars. Everybody's careful because nobody wants to hit someone else's car because it'll cost them a king's ransom to repair.

A couple of years ago some jackass complained to the council about people speeding down his road, which is the main road out of my village, so consequently they put in 15 speed bumps, which neatly extended either side of the entrance to the old folk's home. In the very next issue of the council magazine there was a letter from an ambulance driver saying, essentially "Whose fucking stupid idea was this?" So in response, the council ignored it and left the speed bumps there for the next three years. In the next issue of the magazine somebody wrote in with a diagram of how best to approach the speed bumps, citing 35mph as the optimum speed to hit them. Everybody tried it and found he was right. The vast majority of residents of Chinnor now drive faster over the speed bumps than they did before.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#5 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:33 PM

Having a projection of a small child is a very stupid idea. To start with, some people are just going to speed up, but let's ignore that point for a second and move onto the majority of the population.

People seeing this thing for the first couple of times aren't just going to slow down. They're going to slam the anchors on, and have their tail end bashed in.

People who have seen, and are used to it aren't going to slow down one bit, and will eventually end up ploughing through a real kid, thinking it's another stupid projection.

Romanul: Simplest answer for your country is to teach people how to drive better. :thumbsupsmiley:.

Fix'd

Edited by Acrimonious, 09 September 2010 - 04:41 PM.

Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#6 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:08 PM

You know what the most effective means of speed control is? Parked cars. Everybody's careful because nobody wants to hit someone else's car because it'll cost them a king's ransom to repair.

God, I hate when people double-park. Especially when they don't mount the kerb. And that's not because I drive over the speed limit (I don't, of course. :p I'm a cop, fgs), it's because I just hate the fact that you end up hoping to God you can fit through the gap when some fuckwit on the opposite side of the road, usually in a Ford Focus or bigger car, is trying to muscle his ass through the gap too, and never will he ever yield for you.

People seeing this thing for the first couple of times aren't just going to slow down. They're going to slam the anchors on, and have their tail end bashed in.

People who have seen, and are used to it aren't going to slow down one bit, and will eventually end up ploughing through a real kid, thinking it's another stupid projection.

Exactly!

Romanul: Simplest answer for your country is to teach people how to drive better. :p.

Fix'd

I stand corrected... :thumbsupsmiley:

#7 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

If you ask me, I reckon Canadians should stop trying to think and stick to what they're good at. Being webcam whores and Americas little bitch.
Hostile is a cunt.

#8 Spartan184

Spartan184

:)

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts
  • Projects:Random Modding Projects
  •  Coder, Map.ini Coder, Mapper, and Beta Tester

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:27 AM

:thumbsupsmiley:

safsignature.png

#9 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:12 PM

Kiwiland has bleeding billboards. Far better way of giving a shock-value message without getting in the way. And you get to watch kids bleed instead of just not be visible again.

Speed bumps are stupid creations anyway, if you want to lower the recommended diving speed down a stretch of road, why not use speed limit signs?

Not that they're not a bit over-zealous with those here, unsigned residential zones (as defined by the distance between street lights - so nick the 110km sign from a lit highway and its "residential") is 50kmph, and 40 around schools. Both recent changes to protect schoolkids. Better idea? Teach the damn kids basic road safety.

Actually I'm seeing a trend here with people suffering because of the stupidity of kids. Better idea? Drug test, IQ test, mandatory sterilisation. And if despite fitter parents any kids end up unable to discern that running into the path of high-velocity large-mass objects is a dumb life choice, death. By car. Travelling at a sensible speed.

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#10 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:35 PM

Better idea? Drug test, IQ test, mandatory sterilisation. And if despite fitter parents any kids end up unable to discern that running into the path of high-velocity large-mass objects is a dumb life choice, death. By car. Travelling at a sensible speed.

No. As normal, I have a much better, and cheaper idea. Stop with this child safety bullshit and let nature run its course. Give evolution its power back. The kids who choose to play with the traffic don't grow up to have kids of their own. Problem solved.

As an added bonus, our funeral directors will end up with a decent profit turnover for a few years, until parents realise they should be teaching their brats that they will lose in a fight against two tonnes of metal.
Hostile is a cunt.

#11 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:27 PM

The mandatory sterilisation solution solves issues besides traffic flow though. And an "evolution" defence for child-slaughter would just leave me running around ripping unborn foetuses from wombs, trampling babies skulls and smashing prepubescent faces against walls willy-nilly.
Survival of the fittest doesn't quite work in a cage fight between a combat trained fit adult and a newly-born brat. Ergo I still think selective culling would be a more fit solution to trim the fat of society without eradicating it altogether. Give me free reign to park on preschoolers and I'd just make a point of pushing them into my path.

#12 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:49 AM

The mandatory sterilisation solution solves issues besides traffic flow though. And an "evolution" defence for child-slaughter would just leave me running around ripping unborn foetuses from wombs, trampling babies skulls and smashing prepubescent faces against walls willy-nilly.

As macabre and disturbing as those images are on a number of levels, damned if it wouldn't be fun to watch.

#13 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:44 PM

Once its deemed legal, I'll start saving you seats

#14 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:02 PM

NATURAL SELECTION
The Movie
Posted Image
One man... one mission...
Only the fittest will survive.
Starring Jeeves. In theaters March 12th.

BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#15 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:02 PM

({IRS}Athos - you have spent far too long on that signature. Take, for instance, mine. You made a spelling mistake. Also, when were you gone?)

Edited by Puppeteer, 12 September 2010 - 07:05 PM.

#16 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:54 PM

Five minutes ago? :)

Did I make a spelling mistake? I dunno. I think it adds to my mystique as a stuck-up prick with a massive stick, or rather, a broadsword, etc. etc.

#17 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:55 AM

You misspelt 'possessing' in your Aristotle quote, windbag. :)
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#18 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:31 PM

Bugrit! Milennium hand and shrimp!

Also, curse you for introducing me to Looking for Group.

And, to fulfill my on-topic quota in this post, I discussed this with my grandma, who shook her head sadly. Granted, she does that about a lot of changes...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users