#1 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:00 AM

Well, I was asking around about this, and decided to get some more opinions and ideas from over here. What kinds of RTS games do you guys like, and recommend, other than the BFME series?

I'm looking for more traditional RTSs, with base-building, nothing too strange. I like innovative stuff, but nothing too extreme or that would make it a RTT game. Also, it aught to have good multiplayer/skirmish mode, as that is most important to me, and modding is a plus.

BTW, I already have AoE1/2/3, WC3, and SC/BW/WoL.
Greetings, community.

#2 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:37 AM

Warcraft 3, and Age of Empires 2. Golden classics.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#3 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:02 AM

Battle Realms is pretty awesome,Rise of Nations is good too.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#4 CTLN7

CTLN7

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,210 posts
  • Projects:Rogue Republic

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:03 AM

Dune 2000 :ph34r:

#5 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:06 AM

Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader (Warchest edition has both). Love 'em.

#6 drogoth232

drogoth232

What a shame

• Members
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:54 PM

Medieval II Total War and its expansion Medieval II Total War Kingdoms.

Its like WOTR in BFME2 except:

You dont build buildings while fighting in a town, its your forces versus their forces.
Your "skirmishes" can be a fight to the death
You dont get more troops in the middle of a fight (unless you have reinforcements as well) you have to win with what you have, or do a tactical retreat (I know isnt that awsome :ph34r: )

Really good mods for Kingdoms are Third Age Total War, Call of Warhammer, Stainless Steel, and many, many more.
Wait... what?

#7 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

I'm continually entertained by Age of Empires III, which has great expansions.

#8 Spartan184

Spartan184

:)

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts
  • Projects:Random Modding Projects
  •  Coder, Map.ini Coder, Mapper, and Beta Tester

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:44 PM

And great graphics, I love the destruction of things in that game. I recommend Company of Heroes pretty fun and Men of War even though you don't build a base in MoW you just call in reinforcements its pretty damn fun. Then Stronghold 2 is really fun.

safsignature.png

#9 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:51 PM

Stronghold Crusader or AoE III. Both a hell of a lot of fun.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#10 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:58 PM

Warcraft 3, and Age of Empires 2. Golden classics.

I forgot to mention the games I already have, both of those are some of my favorites.

Battle Realms is pretty awesome,Rise of Nations is good too.

I'll check those out.

Dune 2000 :D

:p

Interesting, I'll take a look.

Medieval II Total War and its expansion Medieval II Total War Kingdoms.

Its like WOTR in BFME2 except:

You dont build buildings while fighting in a town, its your forces versus their forces.
Your "skirmishes" can be a fight to the death
You dont get more troops in the middle of a fight (unless you have reinforcements as well) you have to win with what you have, or do a tactical retreat (I know isnt that awsome :p )

Really good mods for Kingdoms are Third Age Total War, Call of Warhammer, Stainless Steel, and many, many more.

That's interesting. I've actually modded WotR to be like that, although I'm not sure I ever finished it.

I'm continually entertained by Age of Empires III, which has great expansions.

I was kind of disappointed with it, I likes II the best and the 3d engines weren't that great, the game lacked a lot of ability to micro that I loved so much about II.

And great graphics, I love the destruction of things in that game. I recommend Company of Heroes pretty fun and Men of War even though you don't build a base in MoW you just call in reinforcements its pretty damn fun. Then Stronghold 2 is really fun.

I find the historical ones kind of bland in general, is Company of Heroes that way?

Stronghold Crusader or AoE III. Both a hell of a lot of fun.

I'll check out Stronghold.
Greetings, community.

#11 NewErr

NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  • Projects:Wars of The Firstborn
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:05 PM

I'm playing Age of Mythology with Titans Expansion lately .Very good game IMO .The campgain at least is very hard worked .:p

#12 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

Yeah, it's a good game. I find the units with special abilities get hung up sometimes, though, so it makes it very difficult sometimes, but otherwise it's pretty good.
Greetings, community.

#13 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:05 PM

I was kind of disappointed with it, I likes II the best and the 3d engines weren't that great, the game lacked a lot of ability to micro that I loved so much about II.

Yeah, III dumbed down the early game by removing a resource and tuning down the economical management, like many modern RTSes do. Nowadays RTS is just for 13 year olds with an attention span of 5 minutes who just want to see big-ass armies and don't care about careful tactical and economical micromanagement... Kids don't realize the awesomeness of battles is directly proportional with the amount of buildup they have. The new C$C is a schoolbook example of this, it's all about which 13-year old can press their hotkeys the fast to create a building and continuously spam one single unit to the opponent. Nah, I prefer the oldskool RTS.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#14 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:37 PM

Well, the one thing I thought wasn't so great about II was that the income was never steady. Having all four resources and such inconsistent income rates made it impossible to spend your money properly on units. III was worse, though, I thought. I like it better in Starcraft where income is more steady, although somewhere a little more in-between would be good. In Starcraft pretty much all the bases/expansion points had both resources, I would like a game with maybe three resources and you had to choose where to expand in order to get more of each one.
Greetings, community.

#15 Spartan184

Spartan184

:)

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts
  • Projects:Random Modding Projects
  •  Coder, Map.ini Coder, Mapper, and Beta Tester

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:54 AM

Yeah, III dumbed down the early game by removing a resource and tuning down the economical management, like many modern RTSes do. Nowadays RTS is just for 13 year olds with an attention span of 5 minutes who just want to see big-ass armies and don't care about careful tactical and economical micromanagement... Kids don't realize the awesomeness of battles is directly proportional with the amount of buildup they have. The new C$C is a schoolbook example of this, it's all about which 13-year old can press their hotkeys the fast to create a building and continuously spam one single unit to the opponent. Nah, I prefer the oldskool RTS.

Yes thank you, I love it how you have to have lumber mills to collect trees or else they have to walk back all the way to your town center. It takes more tactic and thinking than the usual RTS nowadays.

safsignature.png

#16 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:27 AM

I always thought those were considered 'Castle-Sim' games, and not RTS. Though they are very, very good. I love them.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#17 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:33 AM

Dawn of War is good fun, among a bunch of others listed here. It's getting on in age, but it still a great game. Most would agree that the Dark Crusade expansion is its pinnacle, with a good selection of races and tactics. If you're coming from Starcraft and Warcraft, it may not have enough micro for you though. Personally, I think those two games have too much micro and DoW is just about right. There's a decently large modding community (or was, haven't checked recently).

Dawn of War 2 is also loads of fun, but approaches an RTT so may not be what you're looking for. However, if you like micromanagement...

I also love Supreme Commander, for its scale and general feeling of majesty. The economy is an interesting experiment that some people like and some people feel is too hard. Has amusing basebuilding.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#18 Yarrum

Yarrum

Kahuna

• Project Team
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:59 AM

Stronghold is a true classic, and crusader has given me countless hours of enjoyment. They might be considered a bit crude by today's standards, but the gameplay, especially is Stronghold 1, is exceptional.

KotW%20Left%20Morgul%20Banner.jpg
KotW Beta Tester
frodo_sam.jpg

#19 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:09 AM

Dawn of War is good fun, among a bunch of others listed here. It's getting on in age, but it still a great game. Most would agree that the Dark Crusade expansion is its pinnacle, with a good selection of races and tactics. If you're coming from Starcraft and Warcraft, it may not have enough micro for you though. Personally, I think those two games have too much micro and DoW is just about right. There's a decently large modding community (or was, haven't checked recently).

Dawn of War 2 is also loads of fun, but approaches an RTT so may not be what you're looking for. However, if you like micromanagement...

I also love Supreme Commander, for its scale and general feeling of majesty. The economy is an interesting experiment that some people like and some people feel is too hard. Has amusing basebuilding.

In Warcraft, perhaps, although Starcraft is certainly macro-centered with a huge economic focus. I find Starcraft to be just right, as it allows you to have very good micro, not limiting you at all, but not requiring it as a really important aspect unless you are at the very high levels. That is, good macro will get you everywhere in SC and you won't even need micro unless you are very good at multitasking and your macro doesn't slip while microing. Still, Micro is the most fun for me.

Does the original Dawn of War also use hordes?
Greetings, community.

#20 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:43 AM

Yeah, though they work somewhat differently than BFME ones. More oriented around customizing squad members (eg adding a leader or different weapons) instead of generic horde upgrades. They also path properly , unlike the magical zero collision BFME offering :p

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users