Wolves and Wargs in SEE

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Prince of the Dark Forest

Prince of the Dark Forest
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:15 PM

I know Nazgul has opened a thread in the Lore forum asking about wolves and wargs and I've come up with some ideas for units emcompassing all appearances of the animals in the Hobbit and LOTR.

MORIA
Wild Wolf Pack (weakest)- examples from lore include the white wolves (a breed of the common wolf) of the north, and the wolf that killed Aragorn I.
Wild Warg Pack (stronger)- examples include the wargs which ambushed the fellowship on their way to the mountains and the wild wargs which joined forces with the orcs in the Hobbit (remember the scene where the hobbits and Gandalf are up in the tree, and Gandalf uses the magic of fire to ward them off).
Wild Warg Chieftan (hero unit)- there was a warg chieftan in the same scene. Just larger and more ferocious I suppose.
Goblin Wolf-riders- Wolves and Goblins teamed up several times prominently in the Hobbit. Again, it is not specified whether the Wargs (being higher wolves) let Goblins ride them, but standard wolves were certainly ridden by Goblins.

ISENGARD (the books don't specify that the wolves of isengard are wargs, but since this is a movie mod, we will keep them as wargs)
Orc Warg-Scouts The animals seen in the films are ridden by a warband of orcs, not Uruks. They are lightly armoured and look like bog standard ‘weak’ orcs. So, they do not deserve to be the ‘main cavalry’ unit of Isengard, instead they are scouts. However, this does leave a gap to filled (for ISengard’s cavalry) with units not in the lore.
Sharku Rides a large warg

MORDOR
Gothmog- rides possibly the biggest warg alive... XD

Anyway, I think that accounts for all appearances of wolves and wargs in the lore (as I understand it). It also provides a good range of units... Only problem is that Moria would be too cavalry/siege oriented and Isengard will have a very weak cavalry (which it will make up for in infantry). However, this is not a big issue, it adds variety to each faction.

Thoughts?

- Prince

Edited by Prince of the Dark Forest, 01 November 2010 - 11:16 PM.

Ignited into the world in a flash of lightning, it gleams faintly in the heart of its mother, wood. It begins as an ember, a mere wisp of heat and colour. Its chance of survival at this critical moment is minute, yet it fights on, against the unforgiving cold, against the depths of night and against its mortal enemy: rain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users