The Third Age: Total War

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:20 AM

This is a truley awsome mod, the best iv ever played. it is a total conversion of Medieval 2: Total War and Kingdoms expansion!
it completley changes the game to the world of middle earth. its no ordaniary mod as it has life like trolls and a fully playable map of middl earth! heres some pics!
all i can say is youll love it! and you have to play it to love it![attachment=26747:20ubpc9.jpg]
[attachment=26748:0042h.jpg]
[attachment=26749:rauros.jpg]

#2 Yarrum

Yarrum

Kahuna

• Project Team
  • 461 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:37 AM

Yeah, it's an awesome mod and we've all been aware of it for quite some time now. :p

KotW%20Left%20Morgul%20Banner.jpg
KotW Beta Tester
frodo_sam.jpg

#3 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:12 AM

Meh. I've played it, and at first I was awed, but later on I began to notice far too many things that bothered me.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#4 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:16 AM

like all the BFME assets? :p

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#5 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:27 AM

I played the one for Rome: Total War... haven't gotten around this one yet though, not sure I ever will

I really liked the one in RTW mind you :p

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#6 Yarrum

Yarrum

Kahuna

• Project Team
  • 461 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:57 AM

Regarding the BFME assets, they bugged me at first, especially due to the response I got when I brought them to attention, but I've put it past me at this point. I'm collaboration on a submod that will (hopefully) remove all of the stolen graphics for the elvish factions, and the sounds are in the credits list at this point, so I don't think its really that harmful. I don't blame King Kong for not having removed them thus far since he wasn't even on the team when the material was added to the mod, and I have faith that he'll address the matter properly in the future.

Lauri, I strongly recommend that you at least try this mod. It certainly has flaws but it's brought me more hours of enjoyment than I think BFME ever has.

KotW Beta Tester
frodo_sam.jpg

#7 shnukshnuk

shnukshnuk
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:58 AM

i heard their making a lifelike minas tirith thats playable in campaign!
should be awsome! :p

#8 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:37 AM

like all the BFME assets? :p

Nope. Trolls climbing up stairs in gatehouses and wrecking my archers. I was done soon after that point. There are others, but that was the straw that DESTROYED EVERYTHING.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#9 Yarrum

Yarrum

Kahuna

• Project Team
  • 461 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:38 AM

Engine limitation. If trolls are classed as cavalry, the AI cant use them properly, so they were classed as infantry, allowing them to climb ladders and mount walls. The usual tactic for a defending siege when the attacker has trolls is to fight in the town square, though this is tricky when outnumbered.

Edited by Yarrum, 04 November 2010 - 02:40 AM.

KotW Beta Tester
frodo_sam.jpg

#10 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:44 AM

Lauri, I strongly recommend that you at least try this mod. It certainly has flaws but it's brought me more hours of enjoyment than I think BFME ever has.

It's simply a matter of ever installing M2:TW again in general :p I'm not tempted to reinstall it because of that mod at the moment

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#11 drogoth232

drogoth232

What a shame

• Members
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:44 PM

I really just got past that troll thingy. I just now get a ton of rangers and shoot them while the trolls are busy with my Gondor militia. And the Fellowship Campaign is amazing! Everyone with M2:TW that likes LOTR should try it (not saying that YOU will like it).

And they are making Minas Tirith! Imagine that guys!!!
Wait... what?

#12 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:17 PM

Love this mod, although I haven't played much of anything lately.
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#13 shnukshnuk

shnukshnuk
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:13 AM

i love the fellowship campaign! but what i thik is really amazing is that they managed to change the sky colour in mordor and make a black gate!. Arnor is my faviroute faction but takes a long time to become it. ussualy the AI eriador gets wiped out before it can reach that stage. oh yeah... anyone noticesd that city at the top right hand cornor of the map its called "SHOULD NOT BE SEEN" weird.... anyone got a reason for this?

#14 drogoth232

drogoth232

What a shame

• Members
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:26 PM

Because Sauron is supposed to be an unkillable Pope. FOr that reason alone, you arent supposed to See that place (hence the name) and if it was reachable, he would die, messing up the game mechanics.
Wait... what?

#15 Dúnedain76

Dúnedain76

Misty Mountain Hop

• Division Admins
  • 451 posts
  •  Mapper, Artist, Coder
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:The3rdAge Admin

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:16 AM

I play it. It can be fun but like Elvenlord said, The Trolls on walls kills everything. LITERALLY ;) . But I do like playing as Eriador

#16 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:33 AM

The trolls are just terrible overall. Nothing can kill them and they can get on walls. The only thing that even stood a chance against a single group of trolls was 300 upgraded fountain guards with archers softening them up first.
That and the diplomacy seriously turned me off. I mean, when I'm playing as gondor, no one, not even rohan, will give me map information in exchange for map information. That's just retarded.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#17 Yarrum

Yarrum

Kahuna

• Project Team
  • 461 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:39 AM

That's because you don't know how to fight trolls. You're supposed to pin them with armor-piercing infantry and hit them from behind with arrows. They're really not that hard to kill.

Edited by Yarrum, 08 November 2010 - 06:40 AM.

KotW Beta Tester
frodo_sam.jpg

#18 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:53 PM

And how do I get behind them when there a fuckton of orcs around them?

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#19 drogoth232

drogoth232

What a shame

• Members
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:56 PM

Easy... Well fo rme either way....

Single them out (depending where you are). If you are in a field battle, then you have to get your cavalry to do a complete flank (from behind them, not from the side). Since they are classified as infantry, they go flying, and that's when you pull back. You send infantry in the front to distract the orcs, with archers to snipe them.

In a fort battle (you defending) it's a little more challenging. Send your cavalry out through another exit (if you have one) that isnt the main gate. Tell the Archers in the main towers to fire at the Trolls (50% with Fire arrows and 50% with normal arrows) with the cavalry drawing off the attention of the orcs (or Trolls) just snipe the rest.

But above all, always remember to have Armor Piercing Troops, (or in Eriadors case, Lumber Men, they are great against most enemies).
Wait... what?

#20 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:23 PM

Trolls count as infantry so they fly when being ran down by cavalry

Sounds like orc mischief to me

T4A_Logo_-_article.png