#1 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:04 AM

Does anyone know why the Easterlings AND the Haradrims are portraid BOTH with serpents in their banners?

- In the movies we see the Easterlings with their golder serpent banner...
- ...which is also in EA's game...
- ...and in GW's (Games Workshop) concept for Easterlings.
- EA and GW also portraits Haradrim using a black serpent...

Why?

GW came up with the Sûladan caracter and I've adopted him for SEE, as I have adopted most of GW's work, when it's not found in the movies (or the lore). Sûladan is portraid as a very powerful War Lord of Harad. People occasionally called him The Black Serpent. Thus it would explain the black snakes in the Haradrim banners. But what of the golden snake in the Rhunic banners and not to be forgotten, all their structures? The golden serpent is in their textures as well as their models, especially in the doors and the railings of balconys etc. Would anyone care to elaborate their ideas on this?

Lore guys? ;)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 KingElessar2384

KingElessar2384

Skill of a Ranger, Courage of a Warrior, Leadership of a King

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • Projects:Reading the SEE Forum and other things
  •  SEE Guardian, Defender of the Good

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:16 PM

According to the Weapons and Warfare book, it states that one of the Nine, Khamul was the lord of both Rhun and Harad, so when he was corrupted, it caused the Haradrim and Easterlings to follow him, allying themselves with Sauron. The Easterlings used a serpent as their banner probably to represent the dragons that once lived in Rhun, and the Haradrim used the Eye and Rhun's serpent probably to represent the unity of sauron and the two factions of evil men.
Does that help a little?
This day does not belong to one man, but to all, let us together rebuild this world, that we may share in days of peace.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

That's pretty much exactly in line with what I thought... good :p

Edited by Nazgûl, 08 November 2010 - 06:38 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#4 Arthadan

Arthadan
  • Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:48 PM

In the Battle of the Pelennor Fields one of the chieftains of the Haradrim under Saurons command had a "black serpent upon scarlet" on his standards. It seems that that very battle was also the end of this device, because the chieftain and his followers fell victims for the wrath of the Rohirrim, "and the black serpent foundered." In the lore there is no description of Rhûn (or any other easterling) banner.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:40 AM

I guess the golden serpent of Rhûnic soldiers was a PJ invention then. Regardless, the theory above holds pretty good =)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users