Photo

Another global warming thread. Hurrah.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:21 PM

He isn't failing to understand anything. You are the one changing the "fundamental item" to hide the fact you are unable to properly argue your points.

I'm sorry if the real world is too much for you to handle, but it's not a viable argument in this discussion.

There is nothing wrong with the real world bud.

You are the one changing the "fundamental item" to hide the fact you are unable to properly argue your points.

Hiding what? Because of what? Unable to do what? :good:

#42 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:25 PM

You win.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#43 Imdrar

Imdrar

The Dark Apprentice

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • Projects:Tol-in-Gaurhoth
  •  Villain On Demand

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:49 PM

You're right, we are all doomed. But death isn't the point, life is. Life is there to be experienced and enjoyed while it lasts - not lived like an airport terminal while you wait for your "holiday".

And why? What makes life enjoyable the way we can enjoy it? What enables us to recognize certain moments of luck, success, love, pain and wrath as unique, and why do we never forget many of them? What's the spice in the soup of our soul? Death.
To be aware of the fact that absolutely everything within and around us is fleeting is the reason why I enjoy to live, why I'm sometimes suffering from life and why I'm able to love and to hate. Mortality is a blessing, it is what life makes a promise to me.
But I guess that's a completely different matter to discuss. ;)

By saying "death is a holiday", I just meant that it undermines the moral responsibility you're talking about, because noone really must care about what the future holds behind the horizon of his own existence. Some people might be noble and worry about this nevertheless, as you are apparently one of them, what I really mean as a compliment. But others just don't. I do care, but I'm not too worried about the fate of humanity, rather about the damage we probably will inflict on this world in the future. Our number has grown out of any reasonable measure.

Oh, and of course I'm looking after my house. I'm glad to have one. :good:

Edited by Imdrar, 06 December 2010 - 06:52 PM.

Defender of the Lawful Evil

Posted Image

#44 MT

MT

Maverick.

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Projects:Dominance, a TC for RA2:YR.
  •  I will not be bound, not by space or by time.

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:24 PM

Doesn't matter what is causing it, the thing is it's here, it's happening, and we should get accept that. Stop thinking prevention and just get ready.

(geez my entire profile clashes with this dark red)

Edited by MT, 06 December 2010 - 10:25 PM.

Posted Image
See my Mod: Dominance, a CNC Ra2:YR Total Conversion.

#45 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:39 PM

I think the big player is natural outbursts of greenhouse gasses

"I think" scores you no points. Volcanic eruption emission is mainly SO2 and particular matter. Random gas burst contain more CO2, but this is really an absolutely insignificant number. The approximate contribution to global CO2 from volcanic emissions is about 300 megatonnes per year. By comparison, human emissions are estimated around 30 gigatonnes per year, which is 100x more. You'd be better off forming yiour argument around animal and plant emissions (~220 Gt each). Of course, those are perfectly balanced with estimates of photosynthetic activity which removes about 440 Gt. Recent estimates also show a balance in the oceanic situation - the ocean soaks up as much CO2 as the phytoplankton produce.

I'll just leave that there - my motivation to write long posts is directly related to the amount I procrastinate.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users