Chariot vs Wain

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Emperor of the East

Emperor of the East

A simple guy who likes to think factually

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Projects:Easterling Faction for RotWK and the Planet Thertia novels.

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:41 PM

I decided I would post a topic for reference, not for faction-making. There does exist a difference between a chariot and a wain, the Easterlings use both of these vehicles.

A chariot is defined as a two-wheeled horse-drawn battle vehicle. Chariots are more common than wains because they require less building material to make, and they only have room for a driver and a warrior to stand side-by-side in the cart. It is the simplest type of horse carriage, which means that it would only require two horses to pull. The chariots employed by the Easterlings, based on the way they looked in the movies, may have had halberd-heads attached to the centers of the wheels, making them scythed chariots.

A wain is defined as a four-wheeled horse-drawn cargo carriage. Wains are mostly used for farming, evidently for carrying large amounts of equipment. Large and open, the Easterlings, being descendants of the Wainriders of old, would use this vehicle for transporting troops who fight from in the wain. It is, however, possible that they could also use these vehicles for carrying cargo, like weapons or armor. Sometimes wains are pulled by oxen, and we can learn just by searching "Rhun" on the Thain's Book that there exist white oxen near the Sea of Rhun called "Kine of Araw". This is not a guarantee, but perhaps the Wains of the Easterlings also had halberd-heads on their wheels.

I just thought I should share the difference with you guys, that way you don't have to go on Wikipedia to learn it. It would be a good idea to get more info there, though.

"You cannot know anything; only suspect. You must suspect to be wrong. To have overlooked, something, anticipate."

~Malik Al-Sayf, from the original Assassin's Creed from 2007

Yes, I do live by this advice to the best of my ability.

#2 isledebananas

isledebananas
  • Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:39 PM

I definitely think the more battle orientated one should be the chariots. Certainly more maneuverable and fast than a wagon meant more for slow long journeys. Isn't the chariot in the game meant to be the ranged cavalry for the Rhun faction? Could have a driver and a swiveling rider to give 360% fire. They could have decent range and damage, but inferior range and accuracy to the foot archers so they don't obsolete them. Also, I think they should be more susceptible to arrow attacks themselves since there is far more to hit there.

Whether the wain/wagon should be incorporated in some way I guess is up to the dev. team. I can't really think of anything other than making it the model for either the builder or drop of spot for lumber mills. I think that would be interesting personally, a mobile drop of that once deployed can basically turn into a mini building and gain resources. Though personally I think such a unit should be more for Harad as they are more widespread and nomadic as opposed to Rhun which are a more traditional civilization.

#3 KingElessar2384

KingElessar2384

Skill of a Ranger, Courage of a Warrior, Leadership of a King

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • Projects:Reading the SEE Forum and other things
  •  SEE Guardian, Defender of the Good

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:50 PM

Yes, chariots would be more battle-oriented, but it is unclear whether Tolkien describe the Wainriders using wains or chariots. But I believe he did state that archers rode in the wains/chariots.
Thx
This day does not belong to one man, but to all, let us together rebuild this world, that we may share in days of peace.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 yams in a can

yams in a can

Friend of the Right Side

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:54 PM

They were called Wain Riders for a reason :p. They rode wains, and chariots though.

Posted Image
To the professor, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.

Posted Image
Posted Image

-yams in a can

#5 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:21 PM

... I believe he did state that archers rode in the wains/chariots.

He did not state that, or even indirectly suggest such:

While the Wainrider empire may not have lasted that long, their culture survived throughout the TA. Even as late as the 31st century, their familiar vehicles could be seen: "Out of the East Men were moving endlessly: swordsmen, spearmen, bowmen upon horses, chariots of chieftains and laden wains." (FR)

Most likely interpretation: 'the chariots of chieftains' are for combat, 'laden wains' are for transportation of various goods (supply).

... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users