#1 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

Oh well, I guess it wasn't very surprising that they would want to focus on the brighter parts of the past. Linky

The material calls for lawmakers to amend state laws governing school curriculums, and for textbook selection criteria to say that “No portrayal of minority experience in the history which actually occurred shall obscure the experience or contributions of the Founding Fathers, or the majority of citizens, including those who reached positions of leadership.”

The winner writes the history they say, luckily in this age of communication we can quickly notice when people are planning to refocus our lenses. History is like experience; we should learn from our mistakes and not glorify them. If there is one thing I've learned through life is that if you do not acknowledge that you have done wrong, you will repeat it.

Edited by duke_Qa, 19 January 2011 - 09:06 AM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#2 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:55 PM

White people are stupid.

#3 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

The negative aspect of positive thinking?

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#4 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

"Wait...so the Red Indians walked across from Europe during the ice age. And white people came over from England and Holland in big boats to settle new lands."
"Yes, Timmy, that's right..."
"So how did the black people get there?"
"*uneasy look* Silly Timmy...they came with the white people in the boats! They were brought from Africa and were all given wonderful jobs and gainful employment farming cotton, tobacco and sugar!"
"But did they actually want to come?"
"*Tweak* Of course. They absolutely loved the jewellery we introduced them to! They already had more gold than they knew what to do with so we gave them iron necklaces and bracelets instead."
"Why did your face twitch then, Miss?"
"Now Timmy, do you remember what we said about asking so many questions? You're just a kid! You aren't supposed to ask questions. You remember how it works when you're at church and how you're not supposed to ask questions? Well, that's how it works here too. I'm going to have a word with the principal and get you sent to a special institution..."

-Two weeks later, Timmy returns to school with a strange scar above his left temple-

"Now Timmy, did you do your homework and read America Has Never Done Anything Nasty by The Ministry of Truth?"
"*Dribble* Yes miss..."
"And what does 2+2 equal?"
"5, miss."
"Very good! Did you enjoy the truth?"
"Yes miss..."
"And did you ask any questions?"
"No miss. Not one. Because it's all true."

And it was. Because Timmy loved Big Brother.

#5 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

Fortunately, no amount of Christian-political propaganda will decide what I teach.

#6 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

Haha - you'll probably be teaching the walls of your livingroom before long then.

#7 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:02 PM

What Matias said. You won't be teaching long if you don't adhere to whatever bullshit they want you to teach.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#8 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

I'll only be teaching publicly for two years before upgrading to a university if all goes well. Then I get to make up my own curriculum.

#9 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:29 PM

If you can make it, awesome.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#10 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:59 PM

I'll only be teaching publicly for two years before upgrading to a university if all goes well. Then I get to make up my own curriculum.

So, you can teach without any degrees? Or am I missing something here?
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#11 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

No, I'll be going to school for ~4.5 years getting my associate's degree from a university. With that I can teach at any public school, grades 7-12. I'll do that for two years while taking my master's courses at night, which is how long it will take to complete the course. Or I may just take them normally during the day - I just need something to pay for my expenses during the mean-time. But once I get it I'll go off and teach at a university or community college somewhere.

#12 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:38 AM

I had similar plans once.

Then things happened and now I'm stuck somewhere in the middle with no hope.

#13 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:41 AM

Neh... teaching = authority complex

#14 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

I wanted to go into teaching too. Still do, but once again I have found myself in the wrong place at the wrong time. This is the first year that Sheffield University has not offered the primary PGCE, which is what I wanted to do, so if I want to carry on with this I'm going to have to move. I love this city, but it's infuriating beyond reason.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#15 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

That's politics.

#16 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:46 AM

Mike_ - your signature is too wide. It'll rape the tables for people on lower resolutions and render your posts unreadable.

I wanted to go into teaching too. Still do, but once again I have found myself in the wrong place at the wrong time. This is the first year that Sheffield University has not offered the primary PGCE, which is what I wanted to do, so if I want to carry on with this I'm going to have to move. I love this city, but it's infuriating beyond reason.

It takes one year to complete a PGCE. Man up and move out.

#17 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

But the majority of PGCE graduates find work where they take the course, because so much of it is practical work in a local school. Chances are it wouldn't just be one year, it would be most of the remainder of my young life. Meh, fuck it. You're right. It's just annoying because I had a plan that, once again, my choice of university has rendered invalid.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#18 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:19 PM

So what does that say about us coppers, then?

But the majority of PGCE graduates find work where they take the course, because so much of it is practical work in a local school. Chances are it wouldn't just be one year, it would be most of the remainder of my young life. Meh, fuck it. You're right. It's just annoying because I had a plan that, once again, my choice of university has rendered invalid.

Why not try the other Sheffield university? There are, after all, two... :ninja:

#19 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

Nope, Hallam's rubbish too. Also, it's a godawful place that I have spent the past three years scorning, I'm not sure I could accept switching allegiance like that. :ninja:

#20 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:58 PM

To be honest, this 'good' uni 'bad' uni thing is a load of hogwash. Every uni is more or less the same and they're all much of a muchness. I appreciate what you're saying with the inter-campus rivalry but we don't have the same level of involvement with our university system to justify positive or negative opinions of universities other than the one you attended; you can say your own was shit, but really how much have you got to know the others?

S'why I put no stock in a university's reputation. If I like the campus and I like the staff, I judge it to be good. I forewent positions I could easily have walked into at other institutions because I liked Chester. In hindsight, I should probably have gone somewhere else...or more accurately, not gone at all. I would blatantly be in a better social and financial position than I am right now if I had just gone and got a job. I thoroughly regret going to university, but I digress...

Your assertion that Hallam uni is, in a quirk of irony, both as unabiguously and obviously true as it is biased and probably unfounded. :D Nothing good exists in Sheffield. The very idea is an oxymoron. Short of being Sun-reading Nottinghamshire scab bastards I as a Barnsleyite (or, indeed, a human being with working eyes and a functional frontal cortex) can see no worse state of being than that of being "dee-dah". :p

Have you considered other Yorkshire institutions? You wouldn't necessarily even have to move all that far. York St. John have a fantastic teaching department.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users