Photo

The Internet Is Nearly Out of IP Addresses

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:27 PM

Posted Image

AFP

Users could face painfully slow connection times on the IPv6 system.

It's the end of the web as we know it.

Every Internet-connected computer, smartphone, car, gadget and gizmo is assigned a four-digit IP address that lets it communicate with the net, thanks to a system known as IPv4 (Internet Protocol version 4). And the flood of new gadgets means we're running out of those addresses.

"That distribution system is coming to a close," said Geoff Hutson, the chief scientist at the Asia Pacific Network Information Center (APNIC). "In the coming few days and weeks -- no longer -- the central pool is going to run out."

Web developers have tried to compensate for this problem by creating IPv6 -- a system that recognizes six-digit IP addresses rather than four-digit ones.

But IPv6 isn't backwards-compatible with IPv4, meaning that it's not able to read most content that operates on an IPv4 system. At best, the user experience will be clunky and slow. At worst, instead of a webpage, all users will be able to view is a blank page.

Hutson said the problem and solution for the IP address shortage presents the classic Catch-22 situation.

"IPv6 is not backwards compatible. If I changed my mobile phone to run IPv6 rather than IPv4, then all of a sudden I wouldn't be able to see the IPv4 network -- none of it. Nobody. Nothing.

"We're not going to do that.

"No one is going to turn themselves off the Internet just by running v6, so for some years we need to run both protocols at once. We need to equip devices with both IPv4 and IPv6.

"Now that's fine, except we're running out of IPv4 addresses -- so we're back at the start again."

Though web developers and ISPs have known about this problem for years there aren't presently any acceptable solutions.

Part of the reason ISPs and developers have been so slow to come up with a solution, is that there are no economic incentives to developing IPv6.

"This is not a case of ignorance," Hutson said.

"Within this industry the IPv6 story is a very old story. It has been around for many many years. We've been constantly searching for understanding how to start this transition off.

"We keep on getting the problem that the economics of transition work against us.

"V6 doesn't make a faster network. It's the same protocol, it's the same applications. There's nothing that v4 can't do so there's no killer application in IPv6. If you turn on IPv6 tomorrow it's still the same old Internet.

"With nothing to gain financially, they do know they have to do something, they don't feel the urgency to do it today. And that has been the case for some years. Now the situation is getting a little bit desperate because the number of 'todays' are dwindling -- the number of days you can say that for and still think your customer base can grow is becoming limited."

Hutson said the demand levels of Internet within the Asia Pacific region are so high that it will be a matter of four to five months before we run out of IPv4 IP addresses.

After that time Internet users and providers have genuine cause for concern.

http://www.foxnews.c...test=latestnews

#2 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:40 PM

How hard can it realistically be to make it backward-compatible?

#3 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

Probably not that hard, but it´s more profitable to make people pay for upgrades...

Edited by Allathar, 26 January 2011 - 09:55 PM.

It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#4 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:49 PM

How hard can it realistically be to make it backward-compatible?

Yeah, just convert the old address to 6 digit ones, by slapping 00 on the end. Doesn't sound that hard to me...
Even have it default so null value gets read as 00, meaning the old addresses can stay 4 digit without being converted in any way. (and new ones use 6 digit from then on)

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:08 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2...x.html?iref=NS1

An excellent follow up article. They handed out the last addresses.

You're gonna love new IPv6 system. Check this out...

The new pool, which has technically been ready since 1999, has so many IP addresses that most non-mathematicians probably don't even know the number exists -- 340 undecillion.

That's 340 trillion groups of one trillion networks each. Each network can handle a trillion devices. If the current pool were the size of a golf ball, the new one would be the size of the sun.

#6 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:28 AM

Yeah, just convert the old address to 6 digit ones, by slapping 00 on the end. Doesn't sound that hard to me...
Even have it default so null value gets read as 00, meaning the old addresses can stay 4 digit without being converted in any way. (and new ones use 6 digit from then on)

That's not how it works.

IPv4: 192.168.1.1
IPv6: 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334
There. Your suggestion is now asinine, stupid and ignorant. Grats.

[EDIT] Null and zero are not equivalent.

Edited by Beowulf, 07 February 2011 - 01:29 AM.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#7 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:14 AM

Four digit hexadecimal numbers times six?? It's going to be hell to remember my ip-address now :(

But wouldn't it be easy enough to re-route that golf-ball of ipv4 to a static section of the ipv6 numbers that with a basic mathematical conversation? Just let the routers know that the ipv6-addresses from X goes over to ipv4's Y? just take the first digit of a ipv6 address and change it to 0001 or some other "not going to get used in our lifetime" number, then use the first few bits to emulate the ipv4 addresses? seems easy enough to me, but there's prolly a reason for it.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#8 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:14 AM

@ SWG: A moment's thought would have reminded you that if IPv4 was just four numbers, there would only be 10000 IP addresses in the world. That is not very many.

Did you know that as an admin I can see all of your IP addresses on each and every post you make? Except for other admins. Those guys are shrouded in mystery. I don't know why I have this ability, nor what I would do with it if I even understood it. I'm possibly the worst superhero ever.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#9 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:25 AM

It's (among other things) so you can see if multiple accounts have been made by the same user to bypass bans. And so you know which IP ranges to ban if they do. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users