#41 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:44 AM

Intellectual flame wars...gather round, you young 'uns, this is how good it used to be around here!

#42 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:57 AM

@Matias
So create a long term plan to slowly make your life better so you have more to give, instead of burying your head in a pillow of self sorrow and blaming others for even trying.

You are an artist, so create something. The world needs you...

#43 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:59 AM

So create a long term plan to slowly make your life better so you have more to give, instead of burying your head in a pillow of self sorrow and blaming others for even trying.

I got this one:

you seem to think I feel bad about myself because I don't have thousands of euro's to spend. Couldn't be farther from the truth, I am quite happy with where I am and I enjoy doing the things I do.

I don't think such a thing as a 'pillow of self sorrow' is relevant here. Any trace of pity seems rather absent from Matias' side of the discussion. You seem to be pitying his situation enough for the both of you.

Also, Hostile, this part rather amused me:

So while you're wanking off and laughing at a computer screen, I'm actually trying to help some people in the world...

So go cry yourself a river and blame it all on capitalism and wank off while you laugh at your computer screen. Have fun!

Have you used up your monthly allowance of insults?

There's another point I think you're missing, Hostile. I really don't think Matias wants the world to need him. He just wants to chill out, do what he enjoys and earn just enough to get by. He has a fundamentally different attitude to you, so this entire argument is pointless as neither of you will change. Still, it's pretty good fun to watch, so don't let a small thing like the utter futility of carrying on stop you from doing just that. After all, that's the spirit of capitalism!
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#44 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:34 PM

@Matias

You are an artist, so create something. The world needs you...

Though Vort already said it, my life is fine.

Again, as Vort said, I am not arrogant enough to believe that I can make any kind of difference. I lack the personal conviction and motivation to do those things. That means that I don't see the fucking point, in layman's terms.

Lately you seem to have gotten a habit of completely disregarding everything your opponent posts, and instead argue against your own preconceptions and assumptions. Well good luck doing that.

PS: Of course, if you pity me so much, you are quite welcome to send a donation my way.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#45 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:00 PM

Lately you seem to have gotten a habit of completely disregarding everything your opponent posts, and instead argue against your own preconceptions and assumptions. Well good luck doing that.

Lately? It's happened for months, or even years...

Thing is, Hostile's biggest beef with communism (as I understand it) is that it restricts freedom of ideas and forces everyone to think the same thing and become a sort of one-track record.

Yet look at Hostile. Money is the only thing that seems to matter to him, and it seems to be the only criteria by which he judges others. Doesn't really matter how scrupulously that money has been obtained.

I've never said I wanted to be absurdly wealthy. Never.
I want the following out of life, money-wise:
1) A nice house, afforded and bought without a mortgage. (I currently live at home).
2) A decent car (which I've got).
3) A reasonably well-paid, interesting job that makes me feel like I'm making a difference (which I've got).
4) The ability to be financially worry-free (which I've NOT got).
5) The ability to be totally debt-free and be neither a borrower nor a lender (which I've NOT got).
6) To afford to be able to go on a nice long holiday for a few weeks, wherever I choose to go, and not have to scrimp for it (which I've NOT got).

That's it. I don't want to own a giant manor-house, nor have more money than I know what to do with. If anything, I believe I should have a God-given right to 3,4,5 and 6 (although a caveat to it could be 'Live wherever I want to live and enjoy my life).

The things in my list of things that piss me off are the things that prevent me from having these things. Oh, and also those idiots on the dole who say "I pay your wages" to me. Err, no. I pay tax. You do not. Ipso facto, I pay your wages. This is usually followed by me buggering off saying "Out of the way, fuckpig, I've got some taxpayers to go and see."

#46 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:04 PM

Intellectual flame wars...gather round, you young 'uns, this is how good it used to be around here!

It's just plain boring ... feels exactly like some righteous preachers trying to exorcise evil from their church.
... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#47 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore
  •  Misanthropic Hulking Adonis

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:07 PM

We are also creeating a 501c charitable nonprofit organization that will fund an albino orphanage that my mother-in-law volunteers at.

So we are looking to send a few hundred dollars a week in order to buy food, blankets, hire more guards and teachers, clothes, and so on.

I will be making a website for and actively soliciting to save these children.

I'm actually trying to help some people in the world...

Do you know what this means? Do you know what all of this means? You won. You are the winner. You are better than all of us.

Why don't you just go all out, go right on out there and compare yourself to the son of God, just like you've been waiting to. We'll all hail you for it and indulge your generous soul for saving lives. The World needs you, it really does. You're a hero.

The fact you'd even bother to mention you do this, as one-upmanship is just disgraceful. What's the point? Why do we need to know? We are all better off now, safe in the knowledge that you are making a difference. To try and suggest you are better than someone, by using Charity is pathetic. You're as bad as Bono...careful you don't get hit by things orbiting you giant fucking ego.
Posted Image
CnC Guild - As ancient as time itself.
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

Latest Remix Escalation on ModDB
Remix Escalation on Revora - Track the latest news and changes.

#48 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:10 PM

It's just plain boring ... feels exactly like some righteous preachers trying to exorcise evil from their church.

Oh, you mean like your Holy Crusade against the evil muslims?

#49 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:58 PM

Holy shit. You're all retarded. I can't fuckin' believe this.

[EDIT] Being a devil's advocate, I'm actually siding with Hostile on this one. Sorry guys, he makes a better argument... THIS TIME.

Edited by Beowulf, 10 February 2011 - 07:30 PM.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#50 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

Still have to decide which side I'm on. Yeah, technically Í'm supposed to take Hostile's side, but I like Ash and Matias' viewpoints as well.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#51 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:51 PM

This isn't about political standpoints.

#52 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:01 PM

Guess it's okay then to be on your side without ruining my image? Cool.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#53 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:19 PM

We are also creeating a 501c charitable nonprofit organization that will fund an albino orphanage that my mother-in-law volunteers at.

So we are looking to send a few hundred dollars a week in order to buy food, blankets, hire more guards and teachers, clothes, and so on.

I will be making a website for and actively soliciting to save these children.

I'm actually trying to help some people in the world...

Do you know what this means? Do you know what all of this means? You won. You are the winner. You are better than all of us.

Why don't you just go all out, go right on out there and compare yourself to the son of God, just like you've been waiting to. We'll all hail you for it and indulge your generous soul for saving lives. The World needs you, it really does. You're a hero.

The fact you'd even bother to mention you do this, as one-upmanship is just disgraceful. What's the point? Why do we need to know? We are all better off now, safe in the knowledge that you are making a difference. To try and suggest you are better than someone, by using Charity is pathetic. You're as bad as Bono...careful you don't get hit by things orbiting you giant fucking ego.

Here is a person who missed every point I was making. The point of my examples is not feeding an ego. No one here knows me in real life and no one cares. The point is pennyless trolls who live in glass houses should not throw stones at people who are trying to better themselves and the world around them.

Being angry and throwing forum bombs based on this is like being mad at the police for arresting you when you break the law. Why be mad at the police?! There is no one to blame but yourself. Some people need to stop blaming the cruel world for being cruel. Either become part of the process or shut up and get out of the way of "normal" people.

#54 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:34 PM

Yep, you still didn't understand.

Edit: In fact, looking back, you are the one who first mentioned income, then started patronizing me for not spending all of my energy to increase mine, even going as far as insinuating I am immoral for not working my ass off and being satisfied with what I have financially because I get by fine. I have not once complained about my position. You are the one whining about it for me.

Edited by Matias, 11 February 2011 - 04:44 PM.

#55 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:08 PM

I was a bit sad when Matias put me in a list of people he hated, but then I read the rest of the thread and thought I got off lightly :p

I dunno what really happened here that caused this blowout. I'd guess it was the situation of "American self-made man in his mid 30s with a certain opinion about how things work" vs "Dutch artistic 20something with anti-consumerist philosophy and opinions about what the goal in life is supposed to be".

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#56 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:28 PM

That list wasn't serious. :p

As for your description of me, I wouldn't go as far as calling anything a universal "goal in life", I just strongly disagree with Hostile and his self-imposed authority on what I should be doing to make my life worthwhile according to his ego.

All I can say is that if there is a goal in life besides the natural strive for reproduction, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with aquiring more and more wealth. At least not for me.

I am not "anti-consumerism", people can do as they please. It's just not for me. I don't want to impose, nor be imposed upon. Which is what started this discussion, Hostile trying to lecture me based on things I didn't even claim.

As for my comrade Allathar,

William Shakespeare[/i]

Edited by Matias, 11 February 2011 - 11:36 PM.

#57 Guest_GAY_*

Guest_GAY_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:21 AM

I'm with Fen on this one. God knows there's been enough press coverage of McDonalds and the other fast-food chains for people to know what they're getting into. Wasn't there a case of someone suing McDonalds after getting burned on a cup of coffee? I don't remember the outcome, but I really hope the claimant got a hefty fine for wasting the court's time.

Nope she got over a million dollars fucking old hag.

#58 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:24 AM

0_0

... Says the mysterious stranger with mysterious knowledge ....

#59 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:59 PM

That certainly was unexpected... Ressurections are abominations on many levels I guess.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#60 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

Well this res was fine since it did solve an unanswered question about the outcome of that case... though I had forgotten about it for months. Must be random people randomly Googling and finding themselves in our long-dead topics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users