LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

Given the depressed state of the forums I might as well stick my head in where it doesn't belong as well. Here is a post with some joy and enthusiasm. (Also I found the SEE Mapping Topic, it kept on disappearing first time I tried to post.)

Okay, to give you guys of what my SEE Minas Morgul looks like without the special effects:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Note the mountain giants are just for scenery. They are part of a waterfall.
Progress is going well, but this is a very large map.

Also, I have begun a small mini-map I have titled: In Moria, In Kazud-Dum!
Posted Image
It is the Moria before the dwarves awoke the nameless fear. Features include
* the place where Gandalf says "I have no memory of this place."
* the guard house where the Fellowship rested in
* Hollin Gate (but what does the holly tree look like I wonder?)
* A small map, and not processor hungry, but still beautiful in its own way. (Which is what I am aiming for.) Suggests for other features welcome, I have a good imagination and a love of lore, but input is welcome.

P.S. Expect two downloads for the testing of these maps in the next few weeks.

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 21 February 2011 - 01:59 PM.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#2 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:52 PM

* Hollin Gate (but what does the holly tree look like I wonder?)

In this context the tree isn't important. Hollin Gate is just the west gate, leading to the region called Hollin in the Common Speech, otherwise known as Eregion in Sindarin.
... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Unknown

Unknown

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,314 posts
  • Projects:Work
  •  I changed

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:39 PM

Posted Image
Heres what the Holly Bush looks like, just stick the holly bush in a tree trunk ;)

Realisticly, Namo is right :p

Edited by Unknown, 21 February 2011 - 04:44 PM.

#4 Arthadan

Arthadan
  • Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

Actually, the "Holly Tree" bush (scientific name Ilex aquifolium), can grow quite a bit and it looks 'tree-like'.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 KingElessar2384

KingElessar2384

Skill of a Ranger, Courage of a Warrior, Leadership of a King

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • Projects:Reading the SEE Forum and other things
  •  SEE Guardian, Defender of the Good

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:50 PM

Hehe, Holly tree debate:p Eregion/ West Moria map should have only a few holly trees, a memory of the Noldor who lived in that area. I'll be a map tester if you need any;)

Edited by KingElessar2384, 22 February 2011 - 03:25 AM.

This day does not belong to one man, but to all, let us together rebuild this world, that we may share in days of peace.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:21 AM

Eregion/ West Moria map should have only a few holly trees, a memory of the Noldor who lived in that area. I'll be a map tester if you need any;)

King Elessar is now the tester for my map:
Also, by the way, it has a few holly trees, in memory of the Noldor Elves who live there, outside of course.

Teaser Image:
Posted Image
Still need to draw an icon map of the place, but that I can do once the map is done.

Minas Morgul's progress will be slower due to having it stuff up frequently and the fact that I will be working on getting Kazad completed.

P.S. Forgetful me forgot about the Holly trees! I will be using a Lothelorien tree (coz they are big, and umm... yellow?). The two holly trees that flank the Hollin Gate will be very big. But they will not be the only holly trees around the place, there are smaller ones in the valley.

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 02 March 2011 - 04:24 AM.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#7 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:45 AM

Hey not bad looking! good work! Definately could be Moria in it prime.

#8 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:21 AM

Hey not bad looking! good work! Definately could be Moria in it prime.

That's exactly my idea! Before the Dwarves awoke the nameless fear! Before Eregion or the Noldor Hollin was destroyed.
When the Elves of Eregion lived in harmony with the Dwarves of Khazad-dûm, when trade went freely through the Hollin Gate. One thing I like in my design process for anything is to imagine what was its past was like and what its future holds.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

#9 _Haldir_

_Haldir_

Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds, The Elven Alliance: Community Edition
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:07 AM

Aye, that looks lovely ;) I'd probably like to see a few more objects in the great hall and generally around the place, but i'm guessing it's still a work in progress, so you've probably got it under control.

Minas Morgul is looking nice too :thumbsupsmiley:

Posted Image Posted Image

#10 KingElessar2384

KingElessar2384

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

Moria/Hollin is a very thoroughly created map. It's simply beautiful and well-formed. So far no bugs or issues, but I'll test it again to be sure.
Thx
This day does not belong to one man, but to all, let us together rebuild this world, that we may share in days of peace.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:41 PM

Also, by the way, it has a few holly trees, in memory of the Noldor Elves who live there, outside of course.

That sounds very cryptic:

"Noldor Elves who live there" ... that's the present tense, why then "in memory of" those elves?

#12 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:16 AM

That sounds very cryptic:

"Noldor Elves who live there" ... that's the present tense, why then "in memory of" those elves?

Ummm... I wasn't trying to be cryptic, only specific. Ha ha, This map is set in the time when there were elves in Hollin and the western parts of Kazad-Dum were new.

P.S. King Elessar: As for bugs, there is a really strange occurrence during battles when a Erebor main gain appears out of nowhere. But it doesn't make to much of a nuisance and disappears after a while. Strange.

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 06 March 2011 - 01:17 AM.

#13 KingElessar2384

KingElessar2384

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:40 PM

Strange, I did not see it, when I first tested it. Like I said, I'll give it another go. :evgr:
Thx
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:13 AM

@MattTheLegoman:

I've posted some info, mainly on the western part of Moria incl. surroundings, in this post in the Lore forum.

#15 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

Your studies into Thanks for the stacks of information. You really are one of the Loremasters of Arda, Námo, the judge. An interesting fact was the name of the Elvish city in Hollin. I like the sound of Ost-in-Edhil. And Daniel Reeve, I like his work, thanks for showing him to me!

If I were to extend my map west, up in terms of the map, then I guess I could of done more of Hollin and the Stair Falls.

Also I am looking for another map tester, mainly for balance issues. Also, I should give King Ellesar an updated version. And, when I release the map I want to put in samples of my design process.

#16 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

An interesting fact was the name of the Elvish city in Hollin. I like the sound of Ost-in-Edhil.

Ost-in-Edhil is Sindarin (like most names in Middle-earth) and means 'Fortress of (the) Elves' - Ost meaning 'walled city' or 'fortress'. The Noldorin Elves living there were known as Gwaith-i-Mírdain or 'Peoples of the Elven Smiths', and their lord was Celebrimbor, who made the three Elven Rings. Ost-in-Edhil was attacked and ruined by Sauron's forces in 1697 S.A., and the refugees settled in Imladris (Rivendell); Celebrimbor died in battle in front of his workshop.

Celebrimbor was also the maker of the gem named Elessar given to Galadriel; this was the 'Elfstone' that Aragorn later received. [although there's a second version, where Celebrimbor of Gondolin was the maker; in this version the Elessar was brought to Valinor by Ëarendil, and later returned to Middle-earth by Gandalf, who gave it to Galadriel] The Elessar had powers similar to Nenya, chief of the Three, though to a lesser degree.

Ost-in-Edhil was situated almost a hundred miles to the west of Moria's west-gate, at the confluence of the rivers Sirannon (Gate Stream) and Glanduin (Border River), on the northern side of the rivers; a further fifty miles to the west lay the great fens of Swanfleet, or Nín-i-Eilph.

#17 KingElessar2384

KingElessar2384

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:07 PM

Hello, I'm back and I've tested the map again and yes, I did find the ANNOYING random appearance of the Erebor gate. It usually appears by the Hollin gate. I'd also think that you should adjust the camera system somehow; something like the RJ Cam. And by: balance issues you mean? Asking, because I played this map with the SEE mod itself, with normal balanced gameplay of the mod.
Thx
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:02 PM

By balance issues I mean, are any of the players overpowered because of the way I have made the map.
Anyway, I am ready for the realease of In Moria, In Kazad-Dum! version 1.0
King Elessar had version 0.5
However, I have made an account and submitted the map on The Lord of the Rings, File Front website, on Sunday, but it has not come up that I can tell at the moment.
My profile on File Front is MattTheLegoman.
Any other suggestions of websites that I can get a map on with out hassle for me or the users. Suggestions will be appreciated until I find my map on File Front.

Thanks!

And one more thing, the map also contains a pdf which contains my designs for this map, it is interesting to view designs.

Also, in case you haven't veiwed the photo on my Revora profile, this is proof that I am still working on Minas Morgul.
Posted Image
P.S. I better add what it is. It is the Minas Ithil Tower Guard, nothing in Lore to support it (But there was a white tree at the time of Minas Ithil.); but part of my design process for Minas Morgul is designing who would live there, past and present.

And, while it is still in my head, I need a new secondary project, something that is set during the War of the Ring (I can convert EA maps if you wish, or others given that they give me permission to convert to BFME II, for SEE.)(I can also help with some parts of ).

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 14 March 2011 - 12:04 PM.

#19 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

This is my first map.
It is a taste of my style of map-making.
And I point in the fact that I can finish maps to a high quality.

P.S.
Download it now at Battle for Middle Earth File Front!
http://lordofthering...KazadDum;118576

And it takes 3 days to be moderated, now I know I won't be so fussy about the website.

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 30 December 2011 - 06:38 AM.

#20 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:24 PM

I have that problem, like Niggle, hardly finishing work I am supposed to do (a supper-sized Minas Morgul) and also I talk to myself (in plural too).
Please someone else reply, even complaints about my madness?
I finally have a map set during the War of the Ring time period: Moria, the Black Pit.
Get it there (LotR FileFront).

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 30 December 2011 - 06:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users