Skill of a Ranger, Courage of a Warrior, Leadership of a King

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • Projects:Reading the SEE Forum and other things
  •  SEE Guardian, Defender of the Good

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:06 PM

Cool, I'll try it
Thx
This day does not belong to one man, but to all, let us together rebuild this world, that we may share in days of peace.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:52 PM

Ah, awesome, Thanks Elessar!

I should of added a few images of the converted In Moria, In Kazad-Dum, now Moria, the Black Pit.

Posted Image
Posted Image
The Dwarves are having an unsuccessful attempt to gain access to the west doors of Moria.

One question, should I make the lighting easier to see with. It is reasonably dark now (to make Moria a black pit, literately) but if it is reasonably hard to distinguish units with the lighting then I suppose I should change it.

Also, if this map was to be put into SEE it would have the name "Hollin Gate" and then a chat about how the Fellowship was attacked by the Watcher there.

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 13 April 2011 - 02:08 PM.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#23 KingElessar2384

KingElessar2384

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

Do you usually use these maps with the vanilla game or the SEE mod itself? I personally use the mod itself but, just asking what you'd do;)
This day does not belong to one man, but to all, let us together rebuild this world, that we may share in days of peace.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:38 PM

Do you usually use these maps with the vanilla game or the SEE mod itself? I personally use the mod itself but, just asking what you'd do;)

The Battle for Middle Earth II: Special Extended Edition definitely. And also a few tests in the Vanilla (Original). Which gets me thinking, I am using the Vanilla Worldbuilder. I should get around to adding SEE stuff into my maps.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#25 KingElessar2384

KingElessar2384

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:55 AM

Good luck with your work, bro :wink_new:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#26 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:36 AM

Just thought I would share what I have been working on this weekend.
We have an pretty good map of Dunharrow (one of BFME I's best maps)
And the Paths of the Dead.
But how about the City of the Dead?

Note: I cannot find its real name so I call it the City of the Dead so not to confuse it with the Dead City (Minas Morgul).
View the two attachments.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Tell me what to add to this Petra inspired underground cliff city!
Features will at the very least include:
  • bits of the Dwimorberg, the haunted mountain and part of the White Mountains
  • the valley of Harrowdale (southern Paths of the Dead)
  • the valley of Dunharrow (northern Paths of the Dead)
  • Copious amounts of skulls

#27 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:49 AM

That looks pretty awesome.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#28 KingElessar2384

KingElessar2384

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:49 AM

Awesome progress, but considering it's also the Paths of the Dead map, maybe in some parts you could add this:
http://firsthour.net...-dead-thumb.jpg
It's the swirls of spectral mist that appears in the ROTK game and movie.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:46 AM

Awesome progress, but considering it's also the Paths of the Dead map, maybe in some parts you could add this:
http://firsthour.net...-dead-thumb.jpg
It's the swirls of spectral mist that appears in the ROTK game and movie.

This is exactly what I like!

Is this good?
Posted Image

P.S.
(And I am still working out all the connecting up of images.)
The Way is Shut!
Posted Image

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 18 April 2011 - 03:30 AM.

#30 KingElessar2384

KingElessar2384

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:01 PM

There you go, awesome brother;)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 Arthadan

Arthadan
  • Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:34 PM

That's a great idea! Only thing is that the buildings look too "Gondorian" maybe it's the domes. I know this mode has a nice "green light" for Mordor walls, maybe you could use it.

And to give it the right feel, I don't know if it's possible but I'd make every single unit in the game entering there to be afraid all the time. And some ramdom aparitions of dead warriors for a short period of time would be nice too. That's something that bugger me about most maps, they're beautiful done but you don't get the feeling of the place.

And last but not least, please add Baldor's dead body! Baldor was heir to Brego (son or Eorl, first King of the Mark) and he decided to prove his courage going to the Paths of the Dead... and he never come back. In the books and in the films (at least in the extended version), the heroes found his bones:

Nonetheless he drew near, and saw Aragorn kneeling, while Elladan held aloft both torches. Before him
were the bones of a mighty man. He had been clad in mail, and still his harness lay there whole; for the
cavern's air was as dry as dust, and his hauberk was gilded. His belt was of gold and garnets, and rich
with gold was the helm upon his bony head face downward on the floor. He had fallen near the far wall
of the cave, as now could be seen, and before him stood a stony door closed fast: his finger-bones were
still clawing at the cracks. A notched and broken sword lay by him, as if he had hewn at the rock in his
last despair.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:07 AM

4 Quick screenies. I have been working very hard on the other side (so far you have only seen one side of the chasm and I am not ready to show it).

The totally new lighting effect.

Baldor, as suggested above by Arthadan.
Is this good, how you imagined it? Any more suggestions? Posted Image

Should I have Barrow-wights as creeps? Or none at all?

How I got the new lighting effect and why it doesn't work. 14 Minas Morgul Gates off-map.
Check it out on Photobucket.

They are off map and therefore do not show up in the actual game, only show up in the editor. I will be working on how to see them soon.

All the buildings I have used are mostly Numenorean (Ithilien, Amon Hen, Minas Tirith, Minas Ithil/Morgul, Weathertop), I can't avoid it. But I am pretty sure most of the tree designs on them are covered.

And...
Random appearances of the Army of the Dead?!? Awesome! But only in some places (where they would be trying to protect).
Also I am pretty sure there is an effect that I can set the mood of units in the game, fear should be there!

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 12 May 2012 - 06:24 AM.

#33 Arthadan

Arthadan
  • Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:41 PM

AWESOME!

:xcahik_:

Barrow-wights: If you could change their colours, so they look like the Dead it would be great!

As a sidenote, the Dead were grey (think in the Nazgûl on Weathertop when Frodo sees then with the Ring on) rather than green in the books, but I can understand you want to stick to the films look.

About Baldor, he should:

- Be clad in mail.
- Belt of gold and garnets.
- Helm "rich with gold" upon his bony head.
- face downward on the floor.
- Maybe you could place a treasure chest near him because his rich outfit and also to make it more visible. Also place a barrow.wight lair near, so nobody get the treasure for free.

About the location of the corpse:
- "He had fallen near the far wall of the cave" (in the map it seems he's in a corridor)
- before him stood a stony door closed fast: his finger-bones were still clawing at the cracks

I know I'm picky, but is so near perfection that I think it would worth it to make it fits perfectly the lore.

Great work so far! :thumbsupsmiley:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#34 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:05 AM

Arthadan, thank you very much for all the info! :xcahik_:

Barrow-wights
I am thinking of leaving them as they are as your normal creeps (unless they are bad for playability).

I am definitely going with the film look.

Baldor
I think I have done my best already with Baldor's look.
However is there a model I could change the texture to suit your description.

He is at the start of a corridor (and now right next to the door he had hacked). The design of my map is rather open than walled off. There are some definite caverns and halls, but they have multiple passages through-out.

And to show you the almost finished map,
Posted Image
Posted Image
All I need to do now is to fix up impassable areas and taint-ability, also scipts for Gollum and the skybox!

P.S. The round light green glow circles are farm templates. I scale them down cause they get annoying.

P.P.S. Is this good enough to be part of the SEE mod? Like NJM's maps?

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 27 April 2011 - 02:13 AM.

#35 KingElessar2384

KingElessar2384

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:04 PM

Hmmm yes, this definitely qualifies for top notch SEE maps:) The lighting adds a whole lot to the whole scheme of the map.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

Posted Image

Map is finished!

Special thanks to King Elessar and Arthadan for ideas! And everyone else for support!

#37 Lü Bu

Lü Bu
  • Members
  • 34 posts
  •  Myghtiest Man Alive

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

Masterpiece!

#38 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:21 AM

Check out this map (not specifically for SEE gamers [As I will only release the City of the Dead to either Nazgul, NJM, or RJ [Unlikely that any of them will]]. Nargothrond is not set during the War of the Ring, hence it is in the Worldbuilder Forum.

P.S. I am still working on Macro Minas Morgul.

Also here is some design work for the resent City of the Dead.
Posted Image

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 17 May 2011 - 09:31 AM.

#39 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:10 AM

Legoman, theres no denying youve got the talent, and would be a great addition to any mod with your mapping skills... I wish there was more to offer you but SEE is just sooo not going any where anytime soon.

You really should put your completed stuff up for download so that the remaining players will be able to enjoy your works of art. I havent even opened WB in 2 months, and can only hope to get inspired. You keep at it though, you bring us hope

#40 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:48 AM

Which is what I am trying to do.

Anyways I take back what I said about withholding the City of the Dead. However, I would like to add a few more touches namely fixing the gliches.
Here it is.

By the way it says SEE, but I have not got SEE working with the editor as of yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users