I would leave the name Paths of the Dead. Keeps it the feel more spooky
I'm not listening, not listening!

#62 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:34 PM

Yeah I think keeping it paths of the dead would be better.

I like the way barrow downs looks, though Im not sure all the changes. We already have a grey mountains map, however its possible we could use it for another location, just need a suitable one. If you wanna take on doing a real Gundabad map, its all yours.

#63 Neth

Neth

God's Shadow

• Project Team
  • 930 posts
  • Projects:Taking over the world
  •  Technician of Execution

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:22 AM

Wow, these maps look amazing! :O

Posted Image
Posted Image

This face means nothing, these hands hold nothing, these lungs are empty, these eyes are blind

#64 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:40 AM

Update on Minas Morgul Macro.

I believe the map I was working on became way to big for me. Also some of the textures and styles I was using became outdated to my standards. Parts had too much detail and other parts were too bland. Also there was some massive geometry issues and I wasn't pleased that the layout of the walls didn't match WETA's model, that I had studied so hard. So I have already started again, and it should take me less time, and actually become complete, as the geometry was a breeze! The gates are back to a normal 2.0 size (I don't know what I was thinking with a 3.0 widening monstrosity, 2.0 I have made very lithe and still has the "grinning gate" style.). But the tower I have resized 4.0 (And I have been working on the EA texture to produce a super-detail Mogul Tower (Should I get rid of the red lights? - it isn't red in the WETA version, but I will check up on some Tolkienology tonight.).).

Map will feature, Lore and Movie details (especially WETA's model), LotR Conquest details, Epic lighting, 3 players to siege the Tower of Magic (which means I am more than confident the Morgul player will be able to hold them off).
Might feature map specific graphics (like my Ithil Tower Guard).
Won't feature lightning, I am very sorry.

Enjoy.

Posted Image

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#65 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:48 PM

Boy do you have your work cut out for you, I ran like hell when I started comparing the EA map to the Weta model.

Im not sure scaling is necessary, its already a really huge city in the normal scale. I do think the walls needed to be aligned differently. looks like the inner wall looks correct, the outer looks "off" there is only 5 of the large boat shaped towers on the left side of the weta model and only 4 on the right. google images "minas morgul environment" yields quite a few good pics of the miniature. Its a real good start though.

#66 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:38 AM

This is where I got my image references: WETA Model Making
But thanks to NJM I have some pretty good Bookend model images from: Photobucket User Oldschool79

This is the geometry atm:
Posted Image
Red crosses do not happen to be buried treasure...

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#67 Gollum

Gollum
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:19 PM

I'm liking this very much precious very much

#68 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:46 PM

Nazgûl loves:

- Lord of the Rings
- Accuracy
- Attention to detail
- Thoroughness

That's why Nazgûl loves to work with ppl that display the same passion for such things! :thumbsupsmiley:
This is great progress guys. However I am a bit worried about geometry. Afaik all models that are scaled in WB has to be scaled in the corresponding INI/code by the same amount. So this could be tedious work before such awesome senery maps will function properly in game :blush:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#69 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:30 PM

Naz is right unfortunately... The coding issues created by scaling are really really difficult to overcome. As it is its more work we would rather avoid. If you can do the map in standard scale that would be awesome.

Overall the shape is better still seems off to me, wish I could get a more accurate top down of the miniature to help you with the layout. The f*cking models are really what limit being able to make it more accurate.

I found this image a little helpful

Posted Image

#70 Gollum

Gollum
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

I completly forgot about the whole road that stretches out and then the mountain peak with the stairs of Cirith ungol! yeah that should be incorporated

#71 _Haldir_

_Haldir_

Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds, The Elven Alliance: Community Edition
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:17 AM

Nice work there MtL, it's looking good :)

As far as geomentry, painting impassability should help you stop units walking through scaled objects and such. The main issue though is archers/siege weapons firing through gaps in the geometry. Which looks silly, and can be quite annoying from a gameplay point. If it's too much work to adjust the code for the wall obects, you might be able to place smaller wall objects inside the scaled up walls to block off any gaps.

That said, i think there's a balance you need to find between gameplay and accuracy. Having a lore-accurate, scaled-up map is all well and good, but if it's impractical to create, and annoying to play, than it really defeats the point ;)

Posted Image Posted Image

#72 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

I have considered the comments, yet I still feel that BFMEII's Minas Morgul was laking.
I have two choices, that I need help on deciding:
A) RE-WORK the original map, but not mess with the geometry of the walls.
B) RE-MAKE Minas Morgul according to the WETA model geometry (as close as possible), however the space inside the dead city will be limited.

Choices!

#73 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:43 PM

Well, if the current models won't allow us to create a film accurate version. I would pass on remaking the map. Naz at 1 point had asked me to look at helms deep and in all honesty it needed new models to properly achievethe goal. So I left it alone. Perhaps a scaled isengard would be a better project.

#74 Gollum

Gollum
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

Maybe what you could do is keep the Minas Morgul model and make the map around it more movie like? With the walkway and the mountain side with the stairs of Cirith Ungol? Make it a 1v1 map something like this maybe. I thought with the back road with a signal flair could be a good thing for enemy attackers to maybe attack the wall while men distract in the front of the gate?

Attached Thumbnails

• minas morgul.png

Edited by Gollum, 11 October 2011 - 03:37 PM.

#75 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:12 PM

That's actually a brilliant idea Gollum!, The Stairs of Cirith Ungol have always been looked over in my planning and designing, never coming up in mapping, I have always assumed it would be similar to the original. Although I did passingly think of a Chibi Cirith Ungol.

#76 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:07 AM

Courtesy of Tuckborugh.net

Posted Image

#77 Gollum

Gollum
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:56 AM

Sweet Glad I could help!

#78 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:58 AM

@Gollum, I love help, as long as there is no tricksies! Posted Image

@NJM Here is my own design of the map. Thanks for the time you put into helping me aswell.

P.S. It was too big...
Posted Image

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 12 October 2011 - 01:03 AM.

#79 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:47 AM

No problemo MTL, its what I do.

I wouldnt worry too much about the size. I really would rather have shelobs lair and cirith ungol as 2 seperate maps.

Edited by njm1983, 12 October 2011 - 02:48 AM.

#80 Gollum

Gollum
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:11 AM

Yeah same here I was just saying have the stairs as some nice eye candy due to the fact Minas Morgul will be difficult to scale up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users