• Please log in to reply
242 replies to this topic

#101 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:55 PM

My problem is I have trouble visualizing tolkiens writings.

Have you got Karen Wynn Fonstad's "Atlas of Middle-earth"? - Might be helpful in some cases.

I'll elaborate a little on "Mini Fortress Maps" ... later.
... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#102 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

We would love to here what you have to say Námo. Posted Image Sound intriguing.

This is the idea for lava that I had. It is from the shell map object.

Posted Image

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#103 Fudge

Fudge

title available

• Project Team
  • 531 posts
  • Projects:Luckily AotR Mapping

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

Image Isn't working, The whole "Mini fortress" thing does sound interesting though?

#104 Ridder Blauw

Ridder Blauw

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,277 posts
  •  Do not force yourself into modding it's bad for your health.

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:56 PM

Image works for me! Looks interesting. :wink_new:

#105 Fudge

Fudge

title available

• Project Team
  • 531 posts
  • Projects:Luckily AotR Mapping

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

Oh yeah it's working now, Looks Good :thumbsupsmiley:

#106 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

I think I see what you wanna do, if you're looking to add a glowing to the lava there is an object that does that. Its a small half sphere that's orange. Ill have to find where it is in WB. I still think you'd be better off with just using a lava river, the lava cracked ground texture is cool but you have to remember the rock above the lava will pretty much be blackened and scorched not cracked as if magma was just beneath the surface. Love what you're doing with barad dur.

Edited by njm1983, 31 October 2011 - 05:07 PM.

#107 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

As an update on my progress.

City of the Dead is in SEE DC.

Barad-dur is going ahead slowly, I am sure once I get the walls done it should be good going.

Ettenmoor Fortified Fissure will be released after SEE DC has been released. I have modded this map to now be Coldfells, it is sans the fortress now.

Minas Morgul will always be around for me.

Gundabad has been put on hold. The Grey Mountains map that I had shown earlier will be called Gundabad Mountains.

I am considering an Eyries of the Eagles map, modded from the High Pass good campaign map.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#108 Gollum

Gollum
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:43 PM

I like the Eagle map Idea
I'm not listening, not listening!

#109 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:45 PM

Hmmn I must agree the eagle map sounds pretty neat, perhaps with eagle creeps?

#110 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:03 AM

Eagle creeps sound a little far fetched for me, ... I was just thinking of some civilian flying eagles high in the sky.
But the nests has a theoretical problem.

How do giant eagles make their nests? With trees instead of sticks?Posted Image

I might half start this one tonight. But the map wont be finished until a while.

Simple design: Posted Image

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 09 November 2011 - 11:41 AM.

#111 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:20 PM

Well I see your point but I also will say that they would protect their nesting grounds like anyone, so its not unreasonable to have a few that interact with the players as creeps. But I do like the idea of eagles just flying around the map too.

The nest doesnt look too bad, youll definitely have to get it more circular and use more shrubs and trees roots and watnot. Basically go over kill on objects to get it to look good. Maybe make 2 or 3 different ones then just copy them around the map.

#112 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:26 AM

Well, this was a half way thought between a cave and a tweety-bird nest (Eagles use either). But yes, thanks for the suggestion I like the fallen pine the best for making nests. There will be a special one for Gwahir although. Will design more later on this month, I will be still working on my other maps first. NJM - I have sent you Coldfells and Barrow-downs. I have had Barrow-downs waiting around on my computer for ages. I think they are ready, but how would you like me to name them. Is "map mp coldfells" good?

#113 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:39 PM

I got coldfells from you. Its been put into the game. Sorry I forgot to let you know. Map mp coldfells etc is fine for the file name. I prefer to retain bfme file structure. Ill put the new barrow Downs in tonight.

#114 Gollum

Gollum
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:06 AM

Eagle creeps are good but you would have to be careful so they dont destroy your whole base right at the start of the game

#115 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:09 AM

So you think that they would be good to actually have?

#116 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

... youll definitely have to get it more circular and use more shrubs and trees roots and watnot. Basically go over kill on objects to get it to look good ...

The white-tailed eagles [big eagles!] can have nests, that are several meters high.

[there's one on my property! ;) ]
... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#117 Gollum

Gollum
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:08 AM

Yes I think they'd add realism to the map I mean it is where the eagle live. Only makes sense

#118 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

So the Eyries map is on a semi-halt, I do want to concentrate on this Barad-dur. Took a Sunday, and I am glad I listened to NJM's advice.

Posted Image

P.S. The next maps to go in should be Paths of the Dead and Gundabad Mountains, I just need to spend some time adjusting trees and testing snow.

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 13 November 2011 - 01:19 PM.

#119 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:17 PM

Oh yeah, looking superb!

#120 Gollum

Gollum
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:58 PM