I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:12 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-13256676

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNYmK19-d0U&feature=featured

Figured this would be a happy moment for most of us today, Osama Bin Laden got killed by US special forces. He was hiding an urban area in Pakistan near Islamabad.

After what I've heard there's been some partying going on over in the US. I think that this was a pretty good time for him to get caught; not too close to elections and just around the time of the Arab spring, a good time for changes.

Not that this really means a lot beyond being a symbolic event, it feels nice to know thats one less person to worry about.

Edited by duke_Qa, 02 May 2011 - 06:23 AM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#2 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:29 AM

I'm pretty excited it finally happened. We'be blundered through so much, and this happened with team of Navy SEALS. I think that's kinda appropriate.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#3 Apollo

Apollo

The bringer of doom

• Hosted
  • 3,467 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm, Project Phantom
  •  1337 Modder

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:03 AM

Small victory, another will rise in his place until every last one of al quida is taken out, doubtlessly there will be vengeance strikes on US incoming, its just matter of time.
Posted Image

EAApoc wrote:
The only written law in a C&C game I ever saw is please Mr.Developer make it fun and give me a lot of **** to explode, o and don't you ever get another soul to play Kane but Joe Kucan. Aside from those two rules, all bets are off =) hehe
-APOC

#4 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:35 AM

I suspect that whatever retaliation they can manage will be pathetic compared to the 9/11 event, since they do not have the same movement of freedom today as they did back then. Most realistic event right now would be some tourist hostages and perhaps a embassy here and there. Not that that isn't bad but its not apocalyptic.

I think I recall only a few weeks back that the AQ leadership said that if someone killed Osama it would retaliate with nuclear force... Might have been a way of saying "shit, we know you know where Osama is, but he has to stay there for his kidney problems... So lets just say that we will do something really, REALLY BAD if you try something, just in case that scares them off... Shoo, off with you spec-ops, SHOO!"

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#5 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:22 AM

Yup. Just going to lead to retaliation and someone else stepping up to take his place. He's been in hiding for so long he was really nothing more than a figurehead. But then, imagine how the British would react if someone killed our figurehead, the Queen.

But yeah, solid effort on outdoing our royal wedding, USA.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#6 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:19 PM

They should have done this on Friday, it would have been hilarious to see the press ripping their hair out over the massive overflow of two symbolic media events wrapped up on the same day. A bit like being born on dec24 and not getting more than one party, those faces would be priceless.

#7 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

I felt a little sick when I saw all those people going crazy on Times Square. Burning pictures of him. Feeling so incredibly satisfied because they think they have gotten their "revenge" for 9/11. I turned off the TV.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#8 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:27 PM

I personally think it was a cynical attempt by the USA to gather some positive press for its War on Terror which is dragging on like a dead horse and achieving nothing at all. Or perhaps the US security forces are Machiavellian enough that I think that Bin Laden isn't really dead; the US have just made it sound like he is so they can drag the guy into a holding cell and interrogate him for the next 10 years without charge.

It's not like we have any corroboratory evidence from anyone else, and they've already apparently buried him so there's no way whatsoever to verify any of it independently.

So, no, I'm not really buying this one.

#9 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:35 PM

I felt a little sick when I saw all those people going crazy on Times Square. Burning pictures of him. Feeling so incredibly satisfied because they think they have gotten their "revenge" for 9/11. I turned off the TV.

Or those at the White House chanting "U-S-A!" :rolleyes:
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#10 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

There will always be fanatics running around screaming things and burning things in whatever nation they are loyal to :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical about the lack of evidence as of yet. I hope we will see some more footage to kill off the conspiracies before they get big.

#11 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:51 PM

I personally think it was a cynical attempt by the USA to gather some positive press for its War on Terror which is dragging on like a dead horse and achieving nothing at all. Or perhaps the US security forces are Machiavellian enough that I think that Bin Laden isn't really dead; the US have just made it sound like he is so they can drag the guy into a holding cell and interrogate him for the next 10 years without charge.

It's not like we have any corroboratory evidence from anyone else, and they've already apparently buried him so there's no way whatsoever to verify any of it independently.

So, no, I'm not really buying this one.

As my friend said; pics or it didn't happen.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#12 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:56 PM

/b/ on 4chan is fucking awesome right now. Check it out.. I wouldn't normally endorse it so, but it's kind of hilarious.

AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!

#13 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:05 PM

Hehe, yeah somewhat :p

found this picture awesome

Edited by duke_Qa, 03 May 2011 - 12:06 PM.

#14 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:46 PM

USA = Al Qaeda

Both have killed innocents, albeit the USA en masse. Both are standing for their beliefs, though I'm not sure what the USA actually believes... seems to be just revenge. Both are absolutely fanatical. Anyone who celebrates the death of another, no matter who it is, is just as sick and yeah, maybe Bin Laden had to die but it's not exactly a joyous occasion. Seeing the clips of people celebrating as if they'd done something wonderful is... upsetting.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#15 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:58 AM

Hey Omega, take off those anti-American glasses and stop talking out of your ass. WE did not murder over 3000 people because Allah said it was a good idea, WE do not kill indiscriminately, WE do not consider everyone in the East our enemy because he's an "infidel", and I could go on and on. Before you shoot your mouth off, Bolt, consider that the US has over 300 million people in it and most of us ARE NOT what you claim we are.

Yes, some people celebrated another's death. But is that a crime? No, it's not a crime. Is it actually sick? Depends on your point of view. I bet if you were one of those who lost a member of their family in a terrorist attack he masterminded, you'd be celebrating too. Besides, why not celebrate? There's a little less evil running loose on the world.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#16 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:01 AM

Thank you Beo.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#17 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

Yeah, there is a difference between those who use religion to wage wars and those who respond to such unjust acts.
We might be somewhat to blame for these events through the things that have happened the last 100 years, but that's like blaming nature for making it rain on a house which we didn't build the roof on in time. incompetence is our sin, theirs is malevolence.

#18 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:13 AM

Hey Omega, take off those anti-American glasses and stop talking out of your ass. Before you shoot your mouth off, Bolt, consider that the US has over 300 million people in it and most of us ARE NOT what you claim we are.

I hear what you're saying, but then I always see so many idiots confirming my opinion. The whole outlook of the country seems moronic. I saw Obama's speech... has this whole thing for the last ten years been for revenge? That's a terrible thing for a country to chase. How could Bin Laden's death be ANY consolation for a lost family member? Has the USA been ravaging the middle-east all this time for just one man? Also don't say "justice" has been dealt, because it hasn't. Death isn't a punishment, and it does go against your constitution not to give him a 'fair' trial. Is the country really willing to break it's founding laws just for this? One persons life is never worth another in any case.

Yes, some people celebrated another's death. But is that a crime? No, it's not a crime. Is it actually sick? Depends on your point of view. I bet if you were one of those who lost a member of their family in a terrorist attack he masterminded, you'd be celebrating too. Besides, why not celebrate? There's a little less evil running loose on the world.

Is there? On obvious villain is far less evil than a deceptive one who's allowed to run wild all over the globe without check. The crowds of people celebrating in the US is just scary. Any nation or ideology that can whip up such fervour is as dangerous as anything.

Yeah, there is a difference between those who use religion to wage wars and those who respond to such unjust acts.

Is there? I don't really see it. They're both purely opinions, personal beliefs. In Al Qaeda's opinion those acts were just. Actually religion makes it more justifiable for those who do believe in such things. It's only the majority that makes it acceptable.

Of course I'm not advocating 9/11, I just don't see the correctness of either side.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#19 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:24 AM

I'd say that our honesty about our shortcomings makes us better than anyone who claims some God is the one controlling their actions.

#20 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:03 PM

Right. To a lot of people the Iraq, Afghanistan and other Middle-Eastern Wars were entirely about avenging the citizens that were murdered on 9/11. We didn't want this fight. We still don't. But come Hell or high water we're going to win it, and taking out that snake is just one of the many steps we'll need to take in accomplishing that goal.

Note that I'm speaking not of my opinion (that being who-gives-a-fuck) but rather that of 90% of the people around me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users