#1 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:04 AM

I've been in the business of looking for some proper screens for photoshopping, and figured that the Dell ultrasharp 2711 was in the moderate price-range($889 seems to be the international price, I think that's pretty close to the Norwegian price as well, but strong currency makes that less painful).

First time I've had a resolution of 2560x1440, and its not horrible to work on. The backlight is much better than my old Benq, but Dell seems to have a different philosophy of measuring their inches. This 27" is half a centimeter higher than my 24" Benq for 30% of the price, so its more like a 25.5".

All in all it seems pretty okay, I needed a new screen with good colors and I'll write it off as an expense. But all in all I think you can live with a Benq screen for half the price, if you have access to a spyder to correct the colors.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#2 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:20 PM

Dell seems to have a different philosophy of measuring their inches. This 27" is half a centimeter higher than my 24" Benq for 30% of the price, so its more like a 25.5".

Did you go from a 4:3 to the Dell's widescreen? Size of monitors is measured on the diagonal; so switching 4:3 to the widescreen may have resulted in larger size with barely any more height.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

#3 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:13 PM

No, Benq screens which I've used the most count inches on the actual screen, while Dell counts the outer plastic edge as a part of its size. It is more widescreen than my Benq-screens though, but its probably around that 16:9/16:10 ratio. it's been ages since I used a 3:4 screen.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#4 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:06 PM

I bought a 23" LG IPS236 monitor a few weeks ago for $250 and it's awesome. How's the picture on that Dell anyhow? Is it really worth the price?

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#5 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:43 AM

I haven't done much work with it yet, but it is certainly brighter and more vivid than my old screen. I should probably buy some of them mid-range screens to compare it to something slightly-better than the cheap screens I have from before though.

I might have gotten away with something at half the price, but since I'll write it off as an expense and get rid of the vat from it, its not as expensive as if i bought it for myself privately.

#6 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:44 AM

No, Benq screens which I've used the most count inches on the actual screen, while Dell counts the outer plastic edge as a part of its size.

Seriously? That's cheap as all hell.

On a side note, I'm actually looking for a good 20" ish monitor for when I go back to school.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

#7 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:28 AM

Benq is the overall dominator these days on good screens for awesome prices. Those South Koreans really have gotten into the stride with the tech and are getting incredible quality compared to the prices.

the BenQ 24” LED G2420HDBL looks like something you'd want to give a look, 5/5 from the overclockers forum, costs about $260 dollars for private customers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users