#1 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:39 PM

I thought it had been awfully quiet about all the hacking that has been happening as of late. When the IMF gets attacked and nobody really mentions it afterwards, you got to start asking questions.

I didn't. I found a link reading Penny Arcade about it, then I remembered "Oh right, I was supposed so check out whats going on in the world of information warfare". So here's that link. If you got more handy links, please do post.

Summed up, Anon and LulSec have gone together somewhat in an attempt to breach government and bank computers to dig out corruption.

“As we’re aware, the government and whitehat security terrorists across the world continue to dominate and control our Internet ocean,” LulzSec said in a statement on Monday. “Sitting pretty on cargo bays full of corrupt booty, they think it’s acceptable to condition and enslave all vessels in sight. Our Lulz Lizard battle fleet is now declaring immediate and unremitting war on the freedom-snatching moderators of 2011.” Operation Anti-Security — or AntiSec, as the group has dubbed the mission on Twitter — encourages fellow hackers to “open fire on any government or agency that crosses their path.” Hit the break for Lulz Security’s full statement.

Personally, I can see the need for such information to be brought forward in these times. Banks should not be allowed to run around and do whatever they do without consequences, but I guess they can spin it that hackers are trying to steal money from them.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#2 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:43 AM

What corruption exactly are they referring to? I feel i've missed something...

Edited by some_weirdGuy, 21 June 2011 - 03:44 AM.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:34 AM

Don't know about LulzSec, however I know that Anonymous has accused the Governor of the American Central Bank of corruption and demanded that he step down from what he's doing.They gave him a 90 days ultimatum.

Yet I can really bet that after a while of all these attacks, suddenly we get more restrictive internet laws... :thumbsdownsmiley:

#4 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:42 AM

Update:

http://www.theinquir...vernments-banks

Well, was expectable.

#5 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

The Inquirer is like the US version of The Daily Mail. Put simply, don't read it. Ever.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#6 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:53 AM

Maybe these guys aren't exactly paragons of moral virtue or whatever, but I'm glad people are using the power of the internet to spread the kind of information people have a right to see.

And I'd like to see any government try to enforce restrictive laws on the internet. It hasn't worked in Iran, or China, or even North Korea, so why would it work in Britain or America or anywhere that people have a lifetime's grounding in understanding computers? If a government tries to restrict the internet, groups like these two (hacktivists - I like that word) will stop them in fairly short order.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#7 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:06 AM

Isn't it shitty that we have to rely on cybercriminals to provide change or provide information the public deserves to see?

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#8 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:25 PM

Rebels of the modern age I guess. We should thank Julian Assange for starting this before we get arrested(for strange reasons) ourselves.

What we need more of are large independent media sources. Right now I feel they are all owned by Murdock and can't really speak about these kinda things because it would bring more people over to the cause.

Oh, and 19year old Brit got arrested today for ddos-attack. I wonder what punishment he could get. Is a ddos attack worse than throwing bricks at riot police? Firing fireworks up in the air during a demonstration?

Edited by duke_Qa, 21 June 2011 - 01:44 PM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#9 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:20 PM

It hasn't worked in North Korea.

I don't think so.

#10 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

Sorry, I should have clarified: regulating and restricting the internet wouldn't work in North Korea if they did it there, but instead they have a complete media blackout from the rest of the world. However, I can't see that being possible anywhere else.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#11 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:18 PM

Well there are plenty of countries like Iran that are planning on making their own internet with no connection to the international internet. I'd say that is a fine way of avoiding all that pesky outsider influence on your glorious nation's culture :dry:

These countries are rarely more than corrupt corporations with their own law-enforcers, which puts the corporation before all. The more transparency we get, the harder it gets to hide away your crimes... Be they done in a tyranny, or in the "beacon of light" that most of us reside in.

#12 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:39 PM

Sorry, I should have clarified: regulating and restricting the internet wouldn't work in North Korea if they did it there, but instead they have a complete media blackout from the rest of the world. However, I can't see that being possible anywhere else.

Somalia or Ethipia IIRC is worse.

#13 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:30 AM

Apparently now another group, Team Poison, has hacked LulzSec.

I for one am quite amused. Now i'm waiting for the third group to come along and hack them, and so on, till it becomes one long chain of hacker groups hacking hacker groups.

(source: http://www.escapistm...-by-Team-Posion )

Posted Image

#14 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:09 PM

Or it was just a red herring, as I've not heard anymore of that right now. What I have heard is that Lulsec have Released data from the Arizona border patrol. Which is positive since they now are starting to put action behind their words. Now we just have to wait and see if the media picks up on it and goes through the files to see if they find any damning evidence.

Also, I just got warnings from EA that my old Bioware forum account had been compromised somewhat. I can't recall if used any of my normal passwords there though, And I rarely use that email anymore. Hopefully it won't come back to make trouble for me.

Edited by duke_Qa, 24 June 2011 - 03:19 PM.

#15 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

I've recently heard that LulzSec tweeted that it will stop the hacks it did 'til now (in the past 50 days)

I somehow feel its a prank xD

#16 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:33 PM

Yeah, I heard something of a 50-day limit that I, at least, have never heard of before. Meh. And there was some talk of battlefield heroes user information being hacked as well... Not really what i consider going after fat-cat banks and the likes, but eh.

#17 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:28 AM

but then there's also talk that its not them who posted that thing saying they'll stop, so who knows what to believe >.<

Posted Image

#18 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:57 AM

Apparently LulzSec disbanded. Shortly after the worst interview with a BBC reporter I have ever read.

I would suggest that the reason it hasn't had that much media attention is it's not really all that glamorous to make a website go down with DDoS attack. People dying in explosions generally grabs more o the public's attention. I can't say I have a real big excitement over this stuff. It doesn't seem like it's making a whole lot of difference. Except to millions of PS3 owners worldwide...

They could've had a field day with the IMF. Instead all they did was knock the site down for an hour or two.

#19 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:05 AM

Been bored so went to the chat recommended by LulzSec:

[13:58] <TakeDown> any lulzsec leader
[13:58] <TakeDown> here
[13:58] <LulzLicker> what is it? too lazy to proxy
[13:58] <LulzLicker> lol
[13:58] <TakeDown> who is the leader at lulzsec
[13:58] <NutellaKing> was curious as well to hear what happened to LulzSec
[13:58] <prdelka> whats lulzsec?
[13:58] <TakeDown> and talk about ryan cleary
[13:58] <@GlomeX> TakeDown: noone lulzsec is no more
[13:58] <_SoNiKShOt_> iwsnt ryan locked up
[13:58] <dwarf> What's with BlackkatSec?
[13:59] <LulzLicker> lulzsex is no more?
[13:59] <LulzLicker> *sec
[13:59] <Hail_Julian> yeah what happened to our dear lulzsec!!!!!!!!!
[13:59] <LulzLicker> Ooops lol
[13:59] <TakeDown> gnarls barkley crazy is the song
[13:59] <NutellaKing> heh.
[13:59] <vdr> prdelka nerd
[13:59] <LulzLizard[999]> they have become part of something larger.
[13:59] <TakeDown> he will work for government
[13:59] <_SoNiKShOt_> i heard ryan got raided
[13:59] <prdelka> im far from a nerd.
[13:59] <TakeDown> ryan is a kid
[13:59] <@GlomeX> _SoNiKShOt_: thats old news

Also, MasterCard website has been hacked.

EDIT:
http://screensnapr.com/v/bixSEd.png

Edited by Romanul, 28 June 2011 - 11:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users