#1 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:26 PM

Not much news in English yet, happened 55minutes ago more or less. Nobody is really sure about what or where, but its certainly right up in the governmental buildings, the prime minister's office has its windows blown out and a majority of the oil & energy ministry building has gotten damaged. Suspicion goes to a car bomb,

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No dead has been reported as of yet, but some buildings are looking quite bad so it would be a miracle if that was the case. Quite a few injured by glass though. Whomever did this didn't realize that its vacation time and there's practically nobody working over there, so the casualties are much lower than it could have been.

My first instinct is that its related to the Libya war, and if that can be proven, things might get interesting on that topic.

Edit: just adding more info as we go, at least one confirmed dead now, not surprising really. More media:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvIfkIEAcRA

Edited by duke_Qa, 16 April 2012 - 08:22 AM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#2 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:17 PM

small bump, police confirms it was a bomb, more than one fatality.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#3 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

I have a bad feeling about this.

However, I think that it can also be a wacko or more.

#4 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

Looks like it has all the hallmarks of a Mumbai-style attack, especially after the reported wild shootings on the summer camp outside Oslo (Utøya).

Might be related to Libya ... or Afghanistan, or even the Motoons.

Edited by Námo, 22 July 2011 - 05:27 PM.

... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

Interesting, but unconfirmed news:

Twitter-flow from the American terrorist expert Evan Kohlman :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Abu Sulaiman al-Nasser reportedly holds a high position in Al-Qaida; he was the first to publish name and photo of the suicide-bomber Taimour (Stockholm, December 2010).

------------

A terror group, Ansar al-Jihad al-Alami, or the Helpers of the Global Jihad, issued a statement claiming responsibility for the attack, according to Will McCants, a terrorism analyst at C.N.A., a research institute that studies terrorism. The message said the attack was a response to Norwegian forces’ presence in Afghanistan and to unspecified insults to the Prophet Muhammad. “We have warned since the Stockholm raid of more operations,” the group said, according to Mr. McCants’ translation, apparently referred to a bombing in Sweden in December 2010. “What you see is only the beginning, and there is more to come.” The claim could not be confirmed.

Source: The New York Times (Europe): Blasts and Gun Attack in Norway; 7 Dead

Edited by Námo, 22 July 2011 - 06:36 PM.

#6 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:18 PM

Last news from the justice and prime minister is that the shooter (in a police uniform) at the Utøya summer camp has been apprehended, is 32 years old and etchnic Norwegian(suspicions of extreme right wing ideology). The theory is that he detonated the bomb in the government district and departed for the summer camp. Most of the people there are between 12 and 20, and last I heard was that 10 was confirmed killed and several were still missing. 7 confirmed killed in Oslo and several wounded.

Right now the biggest question is if he worked alone or have accomplices on the loose. Most likely this is one of them una-bomber/right-wing lunatics that have gained enough knowledge to brew together a makeshift plan to kill people.

Also, it might have been his blessing and curse when he attacked the government district today at 1526, since we are in the middle of the public vacation and most people had left work. If this had been a normal day he would have killed hundreds of government officials over there. I've walked down that street a few times and even I thought it was a target waiting to be blown up, but I guess the politicians wanted to be driven as close as possible to their workplace vs higher security against car-bombs. Oh well, we're a small country and you can't spend all your budget on Israeli-style defences.

As the prime minister says: "We will not be broken. You will not destroy us. You will not destroy our democracy nor our work for a better world, we will not be bombed or gunned to silence. ". If you fear they win, so live life and give them the finger.

#7 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:59 AM

... That's some negative development over a night's sleep.

The fatalities at the political youth camp have risen from 10 to 80. The guy was dressed up as a police officer and just called people over to him before he shot them down with different weapons.

The guy has been identified as well, and he looks like a douchebag.

This is pretty damn nasty compared to our population number. If this was proportionate in American numbers, there would have been 500 killed in the bombing attack on the government district and 6000 killed at the youth camp.

#8 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:40 AM

Partial bump

84+7 has been confirmed killed and more information has come about the perpetrator(Which I heard is one of the worst single-person mass murder incidents in the world). He has been active on the internet blogging about typical extreme right wing stuff, but with a more sophisticated angle on it than your average skinhead, combining his conspiracies with quasi-science and emotional rhetoric. Talking about anti-islamism, anti-marxism and "rebuilding the classic and traditional Norwegian values". He also defined himself as a Christian, so you could say this is our version of idiot terrorists.

He used a fertilizer bomb in a truck against the governmental district, but it was probably just meant as a distraction so that all the police and media would focus on Oslo, then he drove off to Utøya, boarded a barge claiming to be a cop doing some related research about the bombing, asked people to gather around him, and started shooting.

My sister had a good saying about this recently. "It is good that its a right-wing nutjob, because that just proves that the worst murderers and crimes committed against Norway the last hundred year have all been done by extreme right-wing fanatics, and it proves that we are on the right path".

He will be tried, sentenced by the law on terror on two cases, not only given imprisonment but hopefully detainment(safekeeping which can be prolonged as long as he is deemed a threat), kept physically, socially and mentally isolated in a small cell for the rest of his accursed life, and firmly forgotten. The rest of us will refuse to respond with fear, we will continue on the path we are on and thrive.

#9 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:17 PM

This is pretty damn nasty compared to our population number. If this was proportionate in American numbers, there would have been 500 killed in the bombing attack on the government district and 6000 killed at the youth camp.

Over here they say that you over there say it's the most violent event in Norway since WW2.
I suppose it will somewhat hurt the image of "Nothing bad ever happens in Scandinavia"
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#10 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:19 AM

Well, we are all living in fragile times. There was that failed bombing in Stockholm this winter, I think many of us thought about that as the first sign of trouble.

I doubt this will change much though, if anything it will just make us more vigilant in doing the things that these people doesn't want us to do. I just hope that the rest of the west also looks into their own backyard and expose these monsters to the light before they are able to act.

#11 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:51 PM

Condolences to Norway from the Danish people.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Norges ambassade, København, søndag morgen.

Mindehøjtidelighed foran Norges ambassade, Danmark sørger over Norges døde

#12 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:23 PM

Oh well, its good it ended well. A tragedy, but at least its not Al Qaeda or other terrorist organisation.

#13 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for the images and the greetings Nàmo, I hope that you are also able to see the insanity of this and be cautious about what you read and believe.

Romanul: Yeah, compared to what the Iraqis and Afghan have to live with every year, this is a drop in the sea. But i wonder a bit what you mean about it ending well :huh:. As far as I'm concerned it at least ended before he ran out of bullets, which he apparently had plenty of. So you might say that was a good thing :sleep:

I don't know anyone that has been killed, but I bet I know a few that have close friends that have died. This situation has me somewhat as numb as when the towers fell, but the difference here is that I don't think Norway will go the same path as the US did. As someone said, the best reaction to this event is to make Norway even more liberal and democratic.

I just hope that this sends a message across Europe and the west that there are those among us who are just as crazy as those that committed 9/11.
Right now there will be a imprisonment meeting tomorrow, some journalists have started a facebook group encouraging a media boycott of it so that the terrorist won't get a pedestal to spread his propaganda from. It would certainly be a good start, I also liked it that they called him the terrorist instead of using his name.

I hope this quote by one of the surviving youth and quoted by the prime minister in a speech, becomes what we recall from this event in ten years time:

"If one man can show so much hate, think how much love we can all show together."

Edited by duke_Qa, 24 July 2011 - 09:41 PM.

#14 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:53 AM

Well, did Norway retreat its forces from Afghanistan?...

#15 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

I see no connection with our work in Afganistan and this. Any reaction to terrorism is in my opinion a victory for the terrorist, and no political changes has as of yet been made.

Yesterday I walked in a march with about 1000 people in it with torches and flowers, out of 7000 that lives around here. Two local kids were at the island and got away, but they will probably need some therapy to live with the experience. Its a shame I haven't found any good pictures of the people that have come out into the streets of every town and city in Norway the last few days, as there was at least 200k out in Oslo, which is like 25-33% of the population there. Its just the right sort of reaction to such an event.

Kinda pissed at this Glenn guy for calling these kids summer camp for a sort of Hitler youth event. "There was a shooting at a political camp, which sounds a little like the Hitler youth, or, whatever. I mean, who does a camp for kids that's all about politics. Disturbing," OH God forbid kids engage in POLITICS! the worst degenerate art of them all :dry: ...

There seems to be a bit of a spin going on in these Murdoch-owned newspapers as well, This comic seems to put it the way the paper was, and this one seems to be very music-friendly. I can agree she looks better than the terrorist, but I'd say a bunch of children getting murdered should earn them a bit more than a footnote. It seems that these papers don't really worry about local ethnic terrorists, even though they are more likely to be much more deadly because of their local knowledge and infiltration abilities.

Edited by duke_Qa, 26 July 2011 - 02:11 PM.

#16 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:08 PM

Well, what's funny is that Beck's party did have kids in their rallies.

If this happened in Norway(tho, as far as I know, it doesn't happen - IIRC Norway was considered nr.1 in a index of world's most democratic countries, I'm sure there's a law forbidding children to come to such things.). However, I know its a frequent practice in the USA.

#17 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

Its voluntarily, and imo an extremely good alternative to christian summer camps which are much more prevalent. Discussing politics and world events at a summer camp seems much more useful than talking about Jesus and God. If this was more common out in the rural districts as well, I might have been interested in summer camps.

Figured I'd try to post a few of the images from Oslo yesterday. quite a lot of people and roses around(the labor party symbol but quite fitting anyway)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Quite a big crowd, and the prime minister showing up in the open less than a week after a bomb blew up half the government district is not something you'd expect.

Edit: Also, the terrorist has written in his manifesto that he rather wants to be hated than forgotten, so I encourage that we try to forget him and use not his name, but alternatives like the terrorist or (preferably) the murderer(Of Utøya/Norway in case you need to specify).

another edit: love this sketch

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/393042/july-25-2011/norwegian-muslish-gunman-s-islam-esque-atrocity

Edited by duke_Qa, 26 July 2011 - 09:58 PM.

#18 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:49 AM

Its voluntarily, and imo an extremely good alternative to christian summer camps which are much more prevalent. Discussing politics and world events at a summer camp seems much more useful than talking about Jesus and God. If this was more common out in the rural districts as well, I might have been interested in summer camps.

I find that both religious and political camps for children should be banned. Seriously. Its abnormal to indoctrinate the poor little fuck.

#19 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:17 AM

There seems to be a bit of a spin going on in these Murdoch-owned newspapers as well, This comic seems to put it the way the paper was, and this one seems to be very music-friendly. I can agree she looks better than the terrorist, but I'd say a bunch of children getting murdered should earn them a bit more than a footnote. It seems that these papers don't really worry about local ethnic terrorists, even though they are more likely to be much more deadly because of their local knowledge and infiltration abilities.

Any newspaper whose headline font is higher than 10% of the page height can instantly be disregarded.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#20 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

Kinda pissed at this Glenn guy for calling these kids summer camp for a sort of Hitler youth event. "There was a shooting at a political camp, which sounds a little like the Hitler youth, or, whatever. I mean, who does a camp for kids that's all about politics. Disturbing," OH God forbid kids engage in POLITICS! the worst degenerate art of them all :dry: ...

Anything Glenn Beck says can be instantly disregarded. He's paid to be out there. I mean really out there. Like, the Republican Party doesn't even want to be associated with him out there.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users