Photo

The Norwegian terror

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:25 AM

I am amazed that this "lone wolf" terrorist was able to kill 77 people. What were these people doing while he was doing this, couldn't they bum rush the guy?

#42 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

Mostly youth on an relatively open island. He made sure not to go into buildings without having full view of every corner, in case he was to be bum-rushed. I think he killed mostly from a distance of 10-50 meters. He fooled people to believe he was a cop, then shot them at optimal distance when they came to him, and when he went searching around the west coast of the island, he found those that hadn't jumped into the waters hiding among the coastline and just shot those there.

Have we seen any action taken since? Or are people still obsessing about the Viking Horror too much to poke a stick behind the curtain?

They'll let the courts mete out the punishment first, but the rhetoric has been stumped quite a bit, and I suspect many European nations have redoubled their surveillance of right-wingers instead of muslims. It is after all easier for ethnic locals to do such things than a foreigner.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#43 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-18530670

It seems that the prosecution have decided to try to have ABB sentenced as insane. The big question during the trial have been where the line of right-wing extremism ends and paranoid psychosis begins.

I have to say it doesn't really annoy me as much as I originally thought it would. After all, ABB himself has been fighting to be found sane, and have said that a sentence of insanity would be the least welcome outcome for him.
As the prosecution says; "it is worse to sentence a psychotic person to prison than to place a non-psychotic person in psychiatric care." Even though a psychiatric lock-up means he'll be up for review every three years, I think all those hours of psychological brainwashing might nurture some regret in this guy, hopefully making his life behind bars a lot less entertaining.

Now as some witness in the case said a few weeks back. "if you make ABB's political opinions a psychological problem, there will be many people in this country that needs to be locked up." I wonder who will be the first idiot to get arrested and sentenced to psychological lock-up because of the precedents made if this becomes the sentence. Hopefully those court cases will be less covered by the media and the institutions they get sent to will have a field day with idiots.

Edited by duke_Qa, 21 June 2012 - 01:51 PM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#44 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

Wait. They're actually serious with trying him as criminally insane? Are they serious?

Yep. They're serious. What in the actual fuck?

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#45 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

They probably consider his right-wing extremism a handy tool for his insanity.

The argument goes that there are those with more extreme opinions out there that doesn't go on a killing spree, so they think ideology isn't the smoking gun. I think they argue paranoid schizophrenia needs an excuse to thrive, but what that excuse is isn't very important.

I'm a bit sad that we can't sentence people with psychiatric sentences to prison as Sweden can, but eh. They'll probably amend the laws so that they only need to review his case in a manager's office or something so we don't need to see a ten-week trial every 3 years.

#46 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

Someone with extreme opinions who acts on them is somewhat of a rarity but it doesn't make him actually insane or whatever they're claiming. Unless this guy has been clinically diagnosed with some sort of mental illness, I find the notion laughable. However, I don't think paranoid schizophrenia needs much to survive since it'll just randomly assault the mind and keep itself there without treatment and it only gets worse. Maybe if this guy had it, he just went off the deep end but wasn't his attack somewhat more... meticulously planned or did I miss a memo somewhere?

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#47 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

I'm just waiting for the update: Crazy Viking Dude strikes again! This would make Pasidon so happy...

Well if you think about it, the hubris of the Norwegian political structure was questioned by this guy. So, as a very prominent member of Norwegian politics, I would want this guy to be called insane since I don't want people to think a rational mind can hold such extreme, negative views of my parties views and do murder. ... That's my weird theory.

People often think an irrational view can only be made by an irrational psyche... nonsense. Reasonable people can be irrational. I actually dare to say he's one of the most rational murderers I've seen. What overpaid psychologist made this decision? Well whatever... I guess he'l be spending the rest of his life in a mental hospital getting better. .. Wait, that's silly. That's like fixing a bird's wing but never releasing it into the wild again... de' system works!

#48 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

I'm sure nothing more frustrating for a bird than being capable of flying but being stuck in a cage for the rest of its life. I prefer those kind of punishments to those that just punish for punishment sake.

I think you both have good points, this isn't a case that is black and white though. It is a one-of-a-kind situation that reflects the world we live in. He is a good example of what happens if you just ignore nationalism or other darker politics instead of taking the bull by the horn. I think for many in the west, this was a wake-up call that you can't ignore uncomfortable topics forever.

But is he insane or sane? He was meticulous, he certainly is smart enough to make bombs. He also had the willpower to go extreme lengths when he was motivated. but once he realized he was unable to become the god among men our western media told him he should have been, he went for the other sort of fame. Is that insanity or is it cultural brainwashing. Both answers point to problems with our societies, because they should have been caught earlier on.

Edited by duke_Qa, 30 June 2012 - 02:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users