• Projects:Lot3A
  •  ~~
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:08 PM

Yeah I edited that out for this reason.

I'll try this, hopefully it works.

Reporting in: The banner is now in his left hand :) Now I have to edit the streamers and the flag itself. I hope the import works as fine as this is working right now. ^_^

Edited by Echo, 17 August 2011 - 04:18 PM.

26285.png

#42 Echo

Echo

T3A:Online

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  •  ~~
  • Donated

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:48 PM

Okay then, everything looks fine, except the cape. Is this caused by the ranger or by the banner (the cape belongs to the banner part) ?

rangerbanner.JPG

Edit: Still not working, the ranger is still sliding over the screen without any kind of animation. :(

Edited by Echo, 17 August 2011 - 07:00 PM.

26285.png

#43 Ganon

Ganon

What's this?

• Project Team
  • 967 posts
  • Projects:My Link Mod
  •  Code Scientist

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:16 PM

Okay, now I'm confused.
The model's anims work mostly right in the W3D Viewer, but ingame it's just static?

There are a number of things that could be wrong at this point. But first I need to understand what you've done so far in the mod. For example:

1. Have you edited any of the anim code for the banner carrier unit you're trying to edit?
2. I'm assuming you haven't made all new anims, but if you had, then they would need to be referenced right in the code.
3. Have you added you're newly rigged model into your art folder and made an asset.dat? And then have you added the art folder and asset.dat to your mod .big file?

And the cape should be rigged to the cape bones if the .skl you're using has them.

Edited by _Bender_, 17 August 2011 - 07:16 PM.

#44 Echo

Echo

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  •  ~~
  • Donated

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:35 PM

Okay, now I'm confused.
The model's anims work mostly right in the W3D Viewer, but ingame it's just static?

There are a number of things that could be wrong at this point. But first I need to understand what you've done so far in the mod. For example:

1. Have you edited any of the anim code for the banner carrier unit you're trying to edit?
2. I'm assuming you haven't made all new anims, but if you had, then they would need to be referenced right in the code.
3. Have you added you're newly rigged model into your art folder and made an asset.dat? And then have you added the art folder and asset.dat to your mod .big file?

And the cape should be rigged to the cape bones if the .skl you're using has them.

1. No I did not.
2. I didn't add new animations.
3. Hmm I thought there was no need to create an asset.dat if you use stuff from the game? I just merged 2 things, does that require an asset.dat? Where exactly do I have to put the asset.dat and how do I create it? What's all required for an asset.dat? (I have sy's asset builder)

Edited by Echo, 17 August 2011 - 07:37 PM.

26285.png

#45 Ganon

Ganon

What's this?

• Project Team
  • 967 posts
  •  Code Scientist

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:46 PM

3. Hmm I thought there was no need to create an asset.dat if you use stuff from the game? I just merged 2 things, does that require an asset.dat? Where exactly do I have to put the asset.dat and how do I create it? What's all required for an asset.dat? (I have sy's asset builder)

Well you technically have a new model, since you edited it. So yes, you'll need to make a new asset.dat.
Like I said in an earlier post. You should use EA's asset builder.

And if you have any models or textures that aren't already in the vanilla version of the game. Then you would need to make new folders named "textures" and "w3d" for the textures and models respectively. And THOSE two folders would go into another folder named "Art" and the art folder would be imported to the .big of your mod.

Adding new art requires you to add the art and the asset.dat.

I suggest using EA's asset builder.

They way I use it, is I put my "Art" folder into a new folder and put the assetbuilder.exe right beside it in this new folder, and then you just run it from there.
It's going to tell you that there are errors. That is to be expected because you don't have all the EA art in your art folder. And you don't need it.

The asset.dat would go into the mod .big all by itself. Not within any folders.

Edited by _Bender_, 17 August 2011 - 07:55 PM.

#46 Echo

Echo

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  •  ~~
  • Donated

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:19 PM

So, currently I have an art folder right on my desktop. I have to put that one in another folder (name doesn't matter i suppose?) and put the assetcahcebuilder.exe next to '"art"? Do I have to install the asset builder first or should I move the .exe directly from the download folder next to the art folder? And do I have to insert the animations/.tga's into my mod.big aswell or will they automatically work in game?

26285.png

#47 Ganon

Ganon

What's this?

• Project Team
  • 967 posts
  •  Code Scientist

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:30 PM

So, currently I have an art folder right on my desktop. I have to put that one in another folder (name doesn't matter i suppose?)

Nope, doesn't matter.

and put the assetcahcebuilder.exe next to '"art"? Do I have to install the asset builder first or should I move the .exe directly from the download folder next to the art folder?

No need to install anything. just put it next to the art folder.

And do I have to insert the animations/.tga's into my mod.big aswell or will they automatically work in game?

Just leave your model in your art folder after you make the asset.dat.
Then import the Art folder into your .big.

Edit: BTW, in case you didn't read my earlier post. Your model should be in a folder named "w3d" within your Art folder.

Edited by _Bender_, 17 August 2011 - 08:34 PM.

#48 Echo

Echo

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  •  ~~
  • Donated

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:44 PM

Ok, what do I have to do once I have put the.exe next to the art folder? (right now the art folder only contains the skin of my modified ranger banner carrier) I doubleclicked the exe and 2 text documents appeared. Just ignore them?

Edited by Echo, 17 August 2011 - 09:04 PM.

26285.png

#49 Ganon

Ganon

What's this?

• Project Team
  • 967 posts
  •  Code Scientist

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:26 PM

Yep. (There should have also been an asset.dat file)

#50 Echo

Echo

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  •  ~~
  • Donated

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:34 PM

There was, but...

this is how my mod.big looks like atm.

rangerbanner.JPG

And since the "banner carrier" is bugged enormously in my mod.big, I suppose that I should add the animations and the .tga textures too? Because only the asset.dat and the new banner carrier (GURngrBnrNW_skn in this picture) still don't modify the ranger banner carrier; instead he is just sliding around still.

Edited by Echo, 17 August 2011 - 09:35 PM.

26285.png

#51 Ganon

Ganon

What's this?

• Project Team
  • 967 posts
  •  Code Scientist

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:08 PM

The model will look like it's all messed up while looking at it in Finalbig.

And it looks like your model has a different name than the vanilla one so re-export it using the original name. (Don't just rename it as that will cause problems)

#52 Echo

Echo

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  •  ~~
  • Donated

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

So I should just export it and import it with the original name? (gurngrbnr_skn)? I was told to give the edited stuff different names and then manually change the settings in the units' properties.

26285.png

#53 Ganon

Ganon

What's this?

• Project Team
  • 967 posts
  •  Code Scientist

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:07 PM

If this model is meant to replace the Ranger banner carrier, then the easiest way to do so is to give it the same name.
That way you wont have to code anything.

"gurngrbnr_skn" is correct. Use that name when you export it.

#54 Echo

Echo

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  •  ~~
  • Donated

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:11 PM

I was thinking about applying the glowing banner carrier only to units that reach level 10. But I think this wouldn't be easy to code..

26285.png

#55 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:27 PM

I assume the banner carrier gets levels too... so if you give him an upgrade at level 10 then you can say that if he has that upgrade he shows the glow. Or is this not what you want?
Ridder Geel

#56 Ganon

Ganon

What's this?

• Project Team
  • 967 posts
  •  Code Scientist

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:27 PM

So is it working right, now then?

#57 Echo

Echo

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  •  ~~
  • Donated

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:35 PM

So is it working right, now then?

It is. Thanks alot for your help! :)

I assume the banner carrier gets levels too... so if you give him an upgrade at level 10 then you can say that if he has that upgrade he shows the glow. Or is this not what you want?

This is what I want, right. But how do I mod this glow into the system of the Mod.big? Somehow I have to tell him that when the unit reaches level 10, the glow should apply, as you said. But you would have to set the glow invisible until level 10 then since it's anchored in the skin.

Another few qustions to the asset.dat... what should I do when I want to add something new? Do I have to add my already added files again when I create a new asset.dat or is there another way? Should I leave all my 'custom' w3d's/textures into that folders or can/should I remove them so they won't be added over and over again when I create a new asset.dat?

Edited by Echo, 18 August 2011 - 12:03 AM.

26285.png

#58 Echo

Echo

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  •  ~~
  • Donated

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:09 PM

Can someone please tell me what I gotta do with the asset.dat? (post above)

26285.png

#59 Ganon

Ganon

What's this?

• Project Team
  • 967 posts
  •  Code Scientist

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:13 PM

Oh everytime you gotta make a new asset, if your art folder is already set up they way i described earlier then you just run the .exe and it'll make a new one.

The simplest way is to leave it setup. ;)

#60 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  • Projects:Middle-Earth Expanded
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:17 PM

Well, I've spent some time here at T3A in the past, and one thing that really hurts activity here the most in my opinion is when newcomers can't get the help they need. They seem to lose interest and stop coming here altogether.

Well said Bender

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users